Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote from Tom Herman - Applies to mens basket ball.

I thought this was interesting. I immediately thought of the basket ball team because it seems as though several have been waiting and waiting for them to break out.

"Us coaches and him as a quarterback need to be able to figure out ways around those deficiencies. In the 13 games that we played this year, that wasnít going to change you know? They are who they are out there and thatís not going to change"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 52

Re: Quote from Tom Herman - Applies to mens basket ball.

+1
    Like it very much. It's how you adapt to your situation. For example, a lot of people thought Herman's spread offense will be a pass-happy offense but it wasn't the case. Same thing with defense: our talents might not be as good as other Big 12 schools but the staffs have nicely exploited what we had to compensate what we didn't have

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post
    I thought this was interesting. I immediately thought of the basket ball team because it seems as though several have been waiting and waiting for them to break out.

"Us coaches and him as a quarterback need to be able to figure out ways around those deficiencies. In the 13 games that we played this year, that wasnít going to change you know? They are who they are out there and thatís not going to change"
    This so reminds me of what Johnny Orr used to say...paraphrasing here "Coach, this is our team, these are our players...this isn't the NBA we can't trade for different players we have to find a way with these guys."

Great coaches know how to adapt to the talent they have.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post

Herman is on the mark. Fundamentally, a new coach is responsible for two basics:

(1) Get the most potential from your players in terms of fundamentals and development.

(2) Put your players in their best possible position to compete.

Then you can work on bringing in the players that fit where you want to take the program.

Chizik never learned #2 above and tried to jam our players into a defensive system that they were not suited for.

I suppose I can see a little of why this is on the MBB board (play the hand you have), but the fact is that every player on the roster is a GMac player -- so it is nothing like Herman commenting on Arnaud's strengths/weaknesses and how the coaches recognized his skill sets.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

The funny thing is that before last season, I was told by someone close to the program that it finally looked like a Mac team..

People seem to not understand just what the offense at UNI looked like under Mac. It is very similar, they tried to force the ball inside to Stout and Coleman, and then when that got taken away they either shot a 3, or Benny J would penetrate and throw up a shot.

It was very similar to what we do now.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by louienad25 View Post
    The funny thing is that before last season, I was told by someone close to the program that it finally looked like a Mac team..

People seem to not understand just what the offense at UNI looked like under Mac. It is very similar, they tried to force the ball inside to Stout and Coleman, and then when that got taken away they either shot a 3, or Benny J would penetrate and throw up a shot.

Need to add however: UNI had GREAT help defense under Mac. In fact, UNI still does. ISU displays virtually no help defense. Perhaps Jacobson handled the D when he was Mac's asst.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Need to add however: UNI had GREAT help defense under Mac. In fact, UNI still does. ISU displays virtually no help defense. Perhaps Jacobson handled the D when he was Mac's asst.
    You are absolutely correct on that fact, that is why I get so depressed watching us not be able to stop dribble penetration.

Jake's defensive principles, and I would imagine Mac with the same background would be the same, was instilled by Rich Glas. A tremendous coach, in fact he was Jake's college coach.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by louienad25 View Post

I always dread the UNI game. The look like a disciplined version of us. And it starts with defense & rebounding.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

This also reminds me of the Coach K interview I listened to the other day. He said he doesn't like to refer to players playing point guard, or off guard, or center, etc because the players will try to play like that position and he just wants them to play their game, wherever they are on the court.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    I always dread the UNI game. The look like a disciplined version of us. And it starts with defense & rebounding.
    I think that Jake has improved the defense at UNI since he has become head coach. Of course Glas was on his staff for the first two years, and I think that helped immensly.

I am not saying that Mac coached bad defense at UNI. But the low scoring outputs were created as much by offensive tempo as anything. Jake lets his team get up and down the floor a little bit more.

The are really struggling shooting the ball right now, but they guard so well that the have that to fall back on. This comes back to the idea of a foundation to build the program on.