SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296
    ESPN said so:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2516830

They mentioned bottom feeder also.

I prefer dark horse. We should easily exceed lowered expectations next year.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    stuart scott gives me the jeebies. have the suspicion he's trying to mass-hypnotize the viewing audience with that rogue crazy peeper of his.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162
    Here is a copy of what was said about ISU basketball for '06...

Iowa State: The one thing we can tell you about Iowa State is that every other league coach expects Greg McDermott to be successful in the state. It seems that everyone thinks he will turn the program into a consistent winner. Now, having said that, the Cyclones lost their starting backcourt early to the draft, so this season will be a wash.

I think that is a very fair assessment. He gave credit to ISU for making a good coaching change - a positive. He noted that ISU lost their good backcourt - a negative.

He did some simple math and said a negative wipes out the positive for '06 - creating - a wash. I can't dispute his logic.

I do think ISU will be right around where they were last year...getting into the NIT or just barely missing it. Anything better should be celebrated as exceeding expectations.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94
    Hot arena: Hilton Coliseum, Iowa State
    The one constant that came up in talking to Big 12 coaches is that regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other. That's why the expectation is that Iowa State will win games at home against more talented teams this season, likely impacting the league race.

I like reading that though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cycloneworld &#064; 07&#045;18&#045;06 2&#58;57 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Hot arena: Hilton Coliseum, Iowa State
    The one constant that came up in talking to Big 12 coaches is that regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other. That&#39;s why the expectation is that Iowa State will win games at home against more talented teams this season, likely impacting the league race.

I like reading that though.

[/b][/quote]

Another reason that we will win games at home this year is because McDermott will demand perimeter defense. A perfect example is last year&#39;s A&M game. Three uninspired cretins, who had to realize that their opponents required a three pointer to tie, look on with apathy as what&#39;s his butt from A&M strokes a wide open 3 to send the game into OT.

Also, structure on offense. Hell, even in the worst days of LE, we won 5 conference games with far less talent than WM had.

I expect ISU to win at least 6 league games, especially after the team gels.

1) vs Mizzou

2) vs Baylor

3) vs Colorado

4) vs Oklahoma

5) vs Nebraska

6) at least one road game somewhere

7) an upset or two which might be #6

Remember, Hilton Magic feeds on defense, which is a big reason it (the Magic) seemed to wane during the Morgan years, with the exception of the Texas game Jake&#39;s senior year.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zdorr40 &#064; 07&#045;18&#045;06 5&#58;15 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Another reason that we will win games at home this year is because McDermott will demand perimeter defense. A perfect example is last year&#39;s A&M game. Three uninspired cretins, who had to realize that their opponents required a three pointer to tie, look on with apathy as what&#39;s his butt from A&M strokes a wide open 3 to send the game into OT.

Also, structure on offense. Hell, even in the worst days of LE, we won 5 conference games with far less talent than WM had.

I expect ISU to win at least 6 league games, especially after the team gels.

1) vs Mizzou

2) vs Baylor

3) vs Colorado

4) vs Oklahoma

5) vs Nebraska

6) at least one road game somewhere

7) an upset or two which might be #6

Remember, Hilton Magic feeds on defense, which is a big reason it (the Magic) seemed to wane during the Morgan years, with the exception of the Texas game Jake&#39;s senior year. [/b][/quote]

So, the Johnny Orr years of Hilton Magic fed on defense?? I don&#39;t think so&#33; A fast paced run and gun offense can generate as much magic as defense.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Amen to the point about our perimeter defense last year. The A & M game wasn&#39;t the only game we lost at home due to lousy 3 pt. defense. In our zone defense, an open 3 pt. shot was always there with a couple passes because when the ball was passed around out front, our player would leave the player who had made the pass to go over and double the player receiving the pass. If he then passed it back to the first player, he always had an open shot. I can&#39;t remember how many times I saw one of our guys half-heartedly come over to double, because he knew he was going to get burnt. It seems like it was Blalock who got burned in the A & M game and didn&#39;t really even try to get back to the first guy cause he knew there was no chance to. I don&#39;t think the players were too impressed with Wayne&#39;s defense and was one of the reasons Blalock and Stinson decided to bug out early.