Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Key West

Heading there in a month for vacation. If you have been, did you take a fishing trip or scuba dive? If so, any recomendations would be great. Thanks!

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 39

Re: Key West

I went scuba diving.

Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys

The Pennekamp Page!

I've been scuba diving in the Grand Caymens, Jamacia, Australia, and Florida and this place is the most amazing of any I've been to. Not sure if we hit a good day or what, but amazing coral and fish.

My brother, who lived in Florida at the time, found the charter we went on. The captian was a one legged guy with one eye(I'm not kidding.) We might have tipped him a little bit ahead of time to give us the good tour.

It was an amazing day. Funniest thing about the whole deal was we had this couple with us who looked liked they were South American. The guy had on gold this and gold that and had a really expensive underwater camera. He acted like he was on another social level than us. He got tremedously sea sick on the way out and was so miserable he couldn't dive, so his cute wife(who was really a nice person) dove with us.

Last edited by Bobber; 02-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I went scuba diving.

The Pennekamp Page!

I've been scuba diving in the Grand Caymens, Jamacia, Australia, and Florida and this place is the most amazing of any I've been to. Not sure if we hit a good day or what, but amazing coral and fish.

My brother, who lived in Florida at the time, found the charter we went on. The captian was a one legged guy with one eye(I'm not kidding.) We might have tipped him a little bit ahead of time to give us the good tour.

It was an amazing day. Funniest thing about the whole deal was we had this couple with us who looked liked they were South American. The guy had on gold this and gold that and had a really expensive underwater camera. He acted like he was on another social level than us. He got tremedously sea sick on the way out and was so miserable he couldn't dive, so his cute wife(who was really a nice person) dove with us.
    I see this is in Key Largo and we are staying at Key West. How far is it between? Looks like a bit of a drive.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ddisu View Post
    I see this is in Key Largo and we are staying at Key West. How far is it between? Looks like a bit of a drive.
    Well you have to drive through it if your coming from the main land.

Looks like about 100 miles. It's worth it in my opinion.

I think the Blue Key is another one I've heard good things about..

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ddisu View Post
    It will take atleast 2 hours to drive to Key Largo. We just got back from the Keys last week. There wasn't much traffic for us entering Key West in the morning and leaving at night. It seemed there is always more traffic leaving in the morning and coming back at night. Watch out for the key deer though of the 20 years my family has been visiting Key West this last trip was the first time we've seen them and they were right next to the highway.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

I went scuba diving.

The Pennekamp Page!

fyi some one said something to my wife the other day that there might have been a shark attach or 2 that just happened, when she said that some of us were snorkling down there

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I went scuba diving.

The Pennekamp Page!

I'm going to Key West at the end of March too, and stopping at the state park is something I'm definitely doing, although just doing snorkeling. The park website has links to snorkeling/SCUBA tours, do you know if you used those links or did you use a different private tour?

Also, any recommendations for things to do in Key West? I was only there once before and that was 15 years ago.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by melt View Post
    I'm going to Key West at the end of March too, and stopping at the state park is something I'm definitely doing, although just doing snorkeling. The park website has links to snorkeling/SCUBA tours, do you know if you used those links or did you use a different private tour?

Also, any recommendations for things to do in Key West? I was only there once before and that was 15 years ago.
    I was last there in the early 90's so it's been a while for me too...

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

My parents are taking their kids/spouse. They have been there a few times, so they know where to go. They have never been diving or fishing there.

As for shark attacks, I am going to put some chum in my brother in laws suit to deter them from me.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by melt View Post

My brother and his girlfriend just drove to there and got on a tour. They had a good time, but they just needed to bring some more cloths along because they froze on the trip back to shore.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

We go to Marathon about every year, which is about half way between Key Largo and Key West. Never been in the water. Go out to drink/eat at night and lay around daytime recovering. The plan is to turn my computer, cell phone and brain off when debarking from the frozen tundra. I was surprised when Bobber stated that he had been several places to snorkle/dive and Key Largo was tops. Am curious what the temp of water is in Feb./Mar. and if the area for diving is in the Atlantic side or Gulf side.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    We go to Marathon about every year, which is about half way between Key Largo and Key West. Never been in the water. Go out to drink/eat at night and lay around daytime recovering. The plan is to turn my computer, cell phone and brain off when debarking from the frozen tundra. I was surprised when Bobber stated that he had been several places to snorkle/dive and Key Largo was tops. Am curious what the temp of water is in Feb./Mar. and if the area for diving is in the Atlantic side or Gulf side.
    Don't read into that too much. I have scuba dived in all those places, but it's not like I'm a pro. My dive experience is limited. Pennekamp's been the best I've seen however. Maybe it was just the day I was out....

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

Yeah, I think most of the best fishing and diving spots are either in Key Largo or Islamorada.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Walk On
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I will be vacationing in Naples at the end of March and planning a trip over night to Key West. Any recommendations on hotels to stay at in Key West?

Thanks

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Best fishing is in Islamorada.