Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 53

Re: we will get better in the coming seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    not drinking, just dont want to waste money on paying for a coach we dont have again, while we are currently still doing that. we owe him to much money now to start over, esp if we want to ever close in jack trice... getting a new coach next year, and pay McD for 3 or so more years is not smart. ISU doesnt have the money to do that...
    Watch attendance for the end of this year, and then figure in way lower than that for all of next year. ISU especially doesn't have the money to do that either.

I can't believe people think McD is going to magically learn how to coach at a major D1 school all of a sudden.

The McD experiment is over folks. He/we failed. Best to move on and make a quick, clean break.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Pro
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    That's because everybody thought we had the talent like we were a top 15 team. McD will be here for a couple years.
    It is posters on this site over estimating talent on this team, and I've said on here before, it's also posters on this site with a low bball IQ.
    Pieces are coming together, it's just not all there. We will probably have a more complete team next year, even with the loss of CB and Gilstrap.
    People thought we had Top 15 talent?
    Ummm no they didn't. They expected better than 2-4 wins in conference play though.

It's the posters on this site and it's because they have low bball IQ?
    Don't know who you've been talking to, but the student section and season ticket holder attendance against a top 10 team on a weekend indicates otherwise. As for the low bball IQ, the general fanbase has a 'low bball IQ' so that doesn't really help the argument of fans not being fed up. In fact I would say the posters on this sight likely have higher bball IQ than the average fan because they care enough about athletics to spend time on an online forum devoted to it. The average fan is not someone who played Big 12 or even college ball.

Pieces are coming together, it's just not all there...
    That's readily apparent and an understatement. I hope you're right about having a more complete team next year, but there are very few people that have seen the new guys play or how they match up against Big 12 talent.

As for getting behind this team.
    Most people on this site are behind this team whether they vent frustration or not. I know I was still at the game cheering for this team. I know numerous other posters who also were there cheering on this team. Find me a school that has even close to the attendance (albeit down from normal) for a 2-6 team in conference play.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

Wow.... We are going to be better because of depth???? When we won back to back Big 12 Championships, did anyone remember that we only really played 7 players each year??

Probably not... Short memories seems to be the norm here.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    I agree with this, but don't really expect big things next year. Don't get me wrong, it could be a decent year next year, but I believe the following year is the one.

CC will be the PG and will have played a year with Oliver, Phillips and Ejim, another year with Hambone and Scotty, plus a more experienced Railly, and this is just who we 'know' will be here. Who knows who follows, but I really like the guard depth being assembled. Reminds me of how Baylor turned the corner.
    So you are OK with one good year out of every 6?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Once we get Lucca, we're gonna be awesome...
    If Craig comes back, we're gonna be awesome...
    Craig and Gilstrap, we're gonna be awesome...
    Craig, Gilstrap, Lucca and Colvin, we're gonna be awesome...

Oh, wait...we stink.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 62

The only way I think we could be much if any better next year is if we get another year for Gilstrap and he wants to come back. Brackins won't b here.

Anyway, the key is finally getting good guard play. I guess our best hope is that the Juco is real good and Colvin improves. We absolutely need better PG play to win in the Big 12.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    I can't believe people think McD is going to magically learn how to coach at a major D1 school all of a sudden.

The McD experiment is over folks. He/we failed. Best to move on and make a quick, clean break.
    So we start another risky "experiment" with another up and coming mid major coach that showed signs of success?

No, moving on quickly is not the best move. In fact actions like that are primarily why we are in the current state we are...changing coaches frequently.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

Great post vmbplayer. My sentiments exactly. This was suppose to be the year when we had the talent and it all came together, and since this year is going down the drain we're suppose to believe it will come together next year without Brackins and maybe Gilstrap? We're not getting it done this year with good talent, so how is it suppose to come together next year when we very likely have less talent? The only thing I agree with from the GMac excuse makers is that he will be here another couple of years because JP tied his own hands with that ridiculous contract. And in the meantime we'll likely have to spend more years sitting at home come post season without any big wins to at least enjoy and remember. Cyclone fans (and players) deserve better.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Yes, we deserve better. I'm hating the losing as much as anyone but I've yet to be shown a good reason why another coach would succeed where Mac has not.

Fanatic #25

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Coaching Staff

I like Coach Mac a lot. I think he is a good person, runs the program right and brings a pretty decent quality of student athlete to ISU. I would love for him to be our coach for the next 10-15 years.

He's had some tough breaks this year with things that were beyond his control:

Loss of Vanderbeken & Boozer to injuries. Sure these guys aren't studs- but I think they are solid kids who have potential to score 10-12 ppg combined. Have some skills that we currently miss- a couple 3 point shooters and in Boozer a guy who makes hustle plays.

Lucca going back to Germany. Sure Lucca was a defensive liability, but he was a very good 3 point shooter & made Scott, Craig and Marquis better 3 point shooters because defenses had to stick to Lucca.

IMO if we had those guys throughout the Big 12 season - I think get get two more wins in the TT and KSU games.

However, there are issues with this team that Coach Mac has 100% control over and he needs to address before ISU can be a .500 or better team in Big 12 play:

1) Our on ball defense is horrible. This is across the board. Our guards allow way too much dribble penetration and Craig, Marquis and LeRon get backed down way too easily.

2) Loose Balls. Its seems like at least 2-3 times every game there is a situation where a Cyclone player reaches for a loose ball or doesn't dive to the ground.

3) Rebounds on Free Throws. We just aren't physical enough. Marquis is horrible. Its not only defensive rebounding. We aren't a good free throw shooting team and most of the time there is little effort by our guys on the blocks to get the offensive rebound.

4) Blocked Shots Don't Always Indicate Good Defense. Too many of our inside guys rely on the blocked shot instead of playing solid interior defense. The CU game was a good example - 10 blocks in a half sounds great but it was really an indication of guys being out of position and a lot of times opens up the weak side rebound to the opponent.

5) He needs a offense. DG isn't a good enough penetrator to run an offense that relies on breaking down defenders to get open shots for his teammates. It's gotten better over the past month (DG doesn't seem to dribble for 15 seconds).

I like the potential of the guys who could return: Gilstrap, Hamilton, Colvin, Dendy, Christopherson, Garrett, Vanderbeken & Boozer. Buckley is not a liability and Oliver looked like he had nice quickness in the brief time he played during the exhibition game. Add kids like Phillips, Ejim and Railey I think we have a solid group. Maybe add in a decent JUCO PF and I think we're OK from a talent perspective.

The key to 2010/11 will be getting guys to do the little things and being much tougher on defense.

Last edited by isucy86; 02-07-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

Big Bake- How about the fact that every other coach we've had here over the last 30 years has won?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Great post vmbplayer. My sentiments exactly. This was suppose to be the year when we had the talent and it all came together, and since this year is going down the drain we're suppose to believe it will come together next year without Brackins and maybe Gilstrap? We're not getting it done this year with good talent, so how is it suppose to come together next year when we very likely have less talent? The only thing I agree with from the GMac excuse makers is that he will be here another couple of years because JP tied his own hands with that ridiculous contract. And in the meantime we'll likely have to spend more years sitting at home come post season without any big wins to at least enjoy and remember. Cyclone fans (and players) deserve better.
    Prior to the season I think everyone forgot we did not have very good guard Play. I really thought DG would be better than he has been as far as an offensive playmaker but he has not. I said something before the season to the effect of DG or one of the guards having to be a playmaker for us to succeed. It hasn't happened and no one has consistently been explosive at the 2.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    Outside of this website, there really isn't a lot of complaining, or as much as one would think after reading this site.
    I think people are underestimating this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Prior to the season I think everyone forgot we did not have very good guard Play. I really thought DG would be better than he has been as far as an offensive playmaker but he has not. I said something before the season to the effect of DG or one of the guards having to be a playmaker for us to succeed. It hasn't happened and no one has consistently been explosive at the 2.
    Maybe McDermott should have quelled enthusiasm then instead of saying this could be a "special season".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Maybe McDermott should have quelled enthusiasm then instead of saying this could be a "special season".
    Right, he should have said, "Don't expect much out of us, we are going to suck because DG won't ever do what he does in practice."

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.