Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Re: we will get better in the coming seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    Tell that to Kirk Hinrich, or any other Big 12 player who had the 'easy' assignment of guarding Jamaal Tinsley.
    What does either one of those two people have to do with what he said about us not having decent guard play?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    What does either one of those two people have to do with what he said about us not having decent guard play?
    Did you read the post I quoted? If you did, read the last sentence over again...something about how it's easy to guard someone who can't shoot.

I was mearly pointing out someone does not have to be an effective shooter (i.e. Tinsley...go ahead, look up his stats from behind the arc, and if you can find it for straight up jumpers) to be difficult to guard.

Are you going to argue this?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 182

I think we could be a better team next year for the following reasons:

Hamilton, Colvin, Garrett, Christo, Dendy will all be a year more mature, and will have played together for a season. Dendy needs to work hard on his FTs and Garrett need to work hard on his lay-ups. Ham needs to be stronger to the hoop and hang on to the RBs.

Booz and VBK will be back in the line-up. This gives us a lot of energy off the bench, and another outside threat. Plus, VBK will help out on defense down low and rebounds.

The new guys coming in sound like they'll be able to help out right away. The jury is still out on this one, but I'm hopeful.

Neither CB or MG have ruled out returning. I don't have much hope for this--MGs fate is in the NCAA court and CB is coming on, improving his NBA stock every game, now that he's not double teamed as much.

Just my feeble thinking...

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Did you read the post I quoted? If you did, read the last sentence over again...something about how it's easy to guard someone who can't shoot.

I was mearly pointing out someone does not have to be an effective shooter (i.e. Tinsley...go ahead, look up his stats from behind the arc, and if you can find it for straight up jumpers) to be difficult to guard.

Are you going to argue this?
    O, sorry, I misread. I agree you don't have to be a terrific shooter at the point. The thing with him was though, you still couldn't give him space because he was very good at using that space. That's how he made up for those shooting deficiencies. DG doesn't eat up that space or shoot the three that well. I believe a guard needs to make people guard him closely one way or the other.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 112

JT was strong. Especially with the ball. You couldn;t take it away from him unless he tried to do to much occasionally.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post

Hamilton, Colvin, Garrett, Christo, Dendy will all be a year more mature, and will have played together for a season. Dendy needs to work hard on his FTs and Garrett need to work hard on his lay-ups. Ham needs to be stronger to the hoop and hang on to the RBs.

Booz and VBK will be back in the line-up. This gives us a lot of energy off the bench, and another outside threat. Plus, VBK will help out on defense down low and rebounds.

The new guys coming in sound like they'll be able to help out right away. The jury is still out on this one, but I'm hopeful.

Neither CB or MG have ruled out returning. I don't have much hope for this--MGs fate is in the NCAA court and CB is coming on, improving his NBA stock every game, now that he's not double teamed as much.

So your expectation is that another year in the program will help the returnees, and that the new guys will come in and contribute right away???

No offense to you sir, but this will be the fourth year in a row that this is what has been predicted by many. So far, it hasn't happened and you will forgive people if they are skeptical.

But I suppose if the most compelling argument that the coach can make for himself is that we have to "trust" him, then this falls in line with that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

The Clones could well be improved next season. It is also possible that it will not be apparent. The opposition may improve a like amount. The Big 12 has came a long way in the last 10 years as a basketball conference.

Prospect
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I watched the K-State game on Saturday and I couldn't help notice the empty seats in the west-end parquet sections. It's about time the fans begin to speak! Look at EIU. Their fans have spoken already! If JP fires MACD, the only quality player we might lose is Colvin (This is assuming Brackins and Gilstrap are gone). As far as I'm concerned the others aren't major losses. DG was listed as a 3-star recruit and he hasn't lived up to the expectations. I wouldn't get overly excited about the 2010 recruiting class. Now's the time to fire MACD!

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    O, sorry, I misread. I agree you don't have to be a terrific shooter at the point. The thing with him was though, you still couldn't give him space because he was very good at using that space. That's how he made up for those shooting deficiencies. DG doesn't eat up that space or shoot the three that well. I believe a guard needs to make people guard him closely one way or the other.
    No worries. I agree with this completely, and brings me back to why I feel we could be okay next year if the starting PG position is open for competition. In CC's short career, I feel he is far better equipped to use the space he is given than DG.

I just hope DG isn't given the starting nod because he will have been here forever. As Tom Herman said, and I'm paraphrasing, "the goal is to outrecruit the current players on the team". At that point, open it up...the best man plays.

Oh...and in case you can't tell, I feel Colvin is a better PG, and our team plays better with him in the lineup. I am not, however, saying our team is better off with DG out of the lineup. To put it a different way, I really like when they are on the floor at the same time, only with Garrett at the de facto 2.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No worries. I agree with this completely, and brings me back to why I feel we could be okay next year if the starting PG position is open for competition. In CC's short career, I feel he is far better equipped to use the space he is given than DG.

I just hope DG isn't given the starting nod because he will have been here forever. As Tom Herman said, and I'm paraphrasing, "the goal is to outrecruit the current players on the team". At that point, open it up...the best man plays.

Oh...and in case you can't tell, I feel Colvin is a better PG, and our team plays better with him in the lineup. I am not, however, saying our team is better off with DG out of the lineup. To put it a different way, I really like when they are on the floor at the same time, only with Garrett at the de facto 2.
    I agree. I don't mind that DG misses those layups, well, I mind, but at least then he is being aggressive. I think he has the tools to be adequate. I don't think he is aggressive enough. When I really think it is hard for me to remember times when DG is stopped when trying to get to the hole. That is what bothers me. He can get there, it is just that he doesn't try. He also lacks the ability to dish it off that CC does so well.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13
    Quote Originally Posted by louienad25 View Post
    So your expectation is that another year in the program will help the returnees, and that the new guys will come in and contribute right away???

No offense to you sir, but this will be the fourth year in a row that this is what has been predicted by many. So far, it hasn't happened and you will forgive people if they are skeptical.

But I suppose if the most compelling argument that the coach can make for himself is that we have to "trust" him, then this falls in line with that.
    I don't recall that ever being trotted out year one or two. But feel free to over exaggerate if you must.

Last year and this year we expected better. That much is a given.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    The Clones could well be improved next season. It is also possible that it will not be apparent. The opposition may improve a like amount. The Big 12 has came a long way in the last 10 years as a basketball conference.
    We need a drastic shake up with our guard courts mentality and play. As long a we have an inside presence to keep the D honest and our guard court improves/changes we could see better. It all hinges on that next year. I also think Colvin has to be starting for that to occur. Having Gilstrap along side him would be huge.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post

It really does not matter who we have come in as players for next year. We ned to have better team chemistry and play more like a well-oiled team.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by louienad25 View Post

I'm hard to offend and very forgiving. My main point would be that every year it seems like we almost start from scratch, with several new starters trying to learn Mac's system, if you will. At least, next year it looks to me like we will have a goodly number of people, who have significant minutes under their belts, all playing together. As has been mentioned in other posts on this board, experience in playing together can be a big factor in how well a team competes. Also, I said I'm HOPEFUL that the new guys coming in will contribute. Three question marks was a little excessive, if you were really looking for me to further expound. Thanks for calling me sir, by the way.

Last edited by oldman; 02-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    "Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    I don't recall that ever being trotted out year one or two. But feel free to over exaggerate if you must.

Last year and this year we expected better. That much is a given.
    After year one, it was wait until Brackins and Lucca come in. Taylor, WJ, and Jiri are all going to get better, and the new guys will put us over the top.

After year two, it was wait until Lucca gets here. We missed a point guard, but WJ is going to be great next year.

Last year, it was Buck is going to solidify the guard court, and look out for Eichmeyer (sp?). Well with WJ gone, he was a cancer anyway, so we're better off without him.

This year, Gilstrap, Dendy, Colvin and Top 25 here we come. Yeah we lost last year because WJ wasn't here, forget what we said earlier.

Now he is talking about "death penalty" like situation that he walked into???

Interesting, it was last year at this time that he broke out the "I am building a program" and used that to death for the last month of the season. Of course he went juco heavy to emphasize that point.

So this year we will see how often he trots out the death penalty. Make it a game.