Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 16

World Cup 2010

So to the very few soccer fans on this board, the world cup is only 3 months away. Anybody got any predictions? USA is grouped in group C with Slovenia, Algeria, and the heavy favorites in this group, England. Our first game is against England on June 12th. Our record verses England isnít very good (2-7 overall and out scored 8-35 in match play) so this should be a beat down. Next we face Slovenia, which weíve never met before. This should be a pretty easy win for the Americans since Slovenia is ranked at the bottom of the world cup teams in the FIFA rankings at number 33. Just like Slovenia, weíve also never met up with our next opponent Algeria. Algeria comes into this world cup ranked slightly higher than Slovenia at number 31. Good news is that Algeria biggest win in the past 2 years was against Mali, which didnít even come close to making the tournament. So if everything plays out like it should, this puts us at the number 2 spot at the end of the first round, allowing us to move on to the second round with a possible match up with Germany. This is bad news for the Americans and will likely be our ticket out of the tournament. Our record verses Germany is 2-6 overall and out scored us 11-18. This is a very good Germany team who could beat England, and will likely do so in the third round. Any thoughts?

There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,451
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

Re: World Cup 2010

We beat Spain that was awesome and then took it to Brazil but couldn't pull it out. We have to get healthy though. with Davis out that means Dempsey or Donovan will have to push up and then we will be softer in the midfield. Somebody has to step up and we have to get the sweeper back. Can't spell his name but he hurt his knee playing for Manchester awhile back. I think we get through the round robin and then just hope for luck...

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by whirlybirds View Post
    So to the very few soccer fans on this board, the world cup is only 3 months away. Anybody got any predictions? USA is grouped in group C with Slovenia, Algeria, and the heavy favorites in this group, England. Our first game is against England on June 12th. Our record verses England isnít very good (2-7 overall and out scored 8-35 in match play) so this should be a beat down. Next we face Slovenia, which weíve never met before. This should be a pretty easy win for the Americans since Slovenia is ranked at the bottom of the world cup teams in the FIFA rankings at number 33. Just like Slovenia, weíve also never met up with our next opponent Algeria. Algeria comes into this world cup ranked slightly higher than Slovenia at number 31. Good news is that Algeria biggest win in the past 2 years was against Mali, which didnít even come close to making the tournament. So if everything plays out like it should, this puts us at the number 2 spot at the end of the first round, allowing us to move on to the second round with a possible match up with Germany. This is bad news for the Americans and will likely be our ticket out of the tournament. Our record verses Germany is 2-6 overall and out scored us 11-18. This is a very good Germany team who could beat England, and will likely do so in the third round. Any thoughts?
    Slovenia doesn't really have any players that stand out, but their strength is that they play very well together/as a team. That will be the most important match of the group.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

I really wish they would wait before matching up the Final 16 teams untill after group play is over

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    We beat Spain that was awesome and then took it to Brazil but couldn't pull it out. We have to get healthy though. with Davis out that means Dempsey or Donovan will have to push up and then we will be softer in the midfield. Somebody has to step up and we have to get the sweeper back. Can't spell his name but he hurt his knee playing for Manchester awhile back. I think we get through the round robin and then just hope for luck...
    Davis is already running and may be back playing within the month, his recovery has been remarkable according to his doctors, who knows what he will be like but he says he will be ready by June. The US usually has a good world cup every other time, so this time is the good time. My good family friend's are the Cherundelo's, so Steve, the probably starter is going to be in his third world cup. Hopefully he can solidify the US defense if Onyewu can't go. Plus it is always fun to watch someone you grew up with and used to play soccer with when I was in high school.

Go USA.

Many Years Of Cyclone Logos

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

go to ESPN.com and do the bracketsb for WC2010

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 1,565

Quote Originally Posted by legi View Post
    Slovenia doesn't really have any players that stand out, but their strength is that they play very well together/as a team. That will be the most important match of the group.
    I don't think Slovenia will be a gimme, but the USA should win. Slovenia advanced out of a tough group in Europe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    I really wish they would wait before matching up the Final 16 teams untill after group play is over
    I agree, or at least make it more spread out instead of the way they have it matched up now. I think it was different when there were only 24 teams.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 183

My Thoughts: Charlie Davies

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 229

Having Gooch out is definitely a huge blow for us. I don't think most people realize how important he is.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

John Terry will sleep with the wives of three more teammates.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

I think we'll have a chance against England what with Terry being a bit distracted...

Recruit
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think England are vulnerable. They usually find ways to underperform in big tournaments and I think Capello has them playing better than they really are right now. Rooney is amazing, but the rest of the team is solid, but not spectacular. If we draw against them, we could potentially win the group. I think Slovenia will be tougher than people think and Algeria are a bunch of thugs.

Having said that, I'm worried about Bradley as a coach. If we have a best 11 healthy, I think we'll be ok. Beyond that, I have no confidence in him being able to identify guys that can step up and deliver the goods.

Regardless, I think any of the teams in Group D can beat us, so I don't think it will matter too much if we finish 1st or 2nd in the group. I think the best we can hope for is to go out in the second round.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 98

This a tough group. Slovenia, rank-wise is not high, but they've faced a lot of competition. If we can get a point against England, that'll be HUGE. Algeria, like other African countries, would be dangerous also: very quick and very unpredictable.

I am not going to worry about England's situation. Fabio Capello is a great coach and manager: he knows what he needs to do to make sure the team is not distracted. Unless Rooney gets injured, then it will be different. I followed Fabio Capello since he was in Milan back in 1992 and his man management is simply outstanding.

Branching out of the topic: I'm glad that there are also soccer fans among the fanatics. I've been following soccer since 1986 - believe it or not: I closely monitored USA National Team when they played in 1990 World Cup. I still follow Italian League and English Premiership although it's been 22 years since I first watched those leagues on TV. I am a fan of AC Milan and Manchester United as well as Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven - and this is waaaay before David Beckham and Lionel Messi.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    This a tough group. Slovenia, rank-wise is not high, but they've faced a lot of competition. If we can get a point against England, that'll be HUGE. Algeria, like other African countries, would be dangerous also: very quick and very unpredictable.

I am not going to worry about England's situation. Fabio Capello is a great coach and manager: he knows what he needs to do to make sure the team is not distracted. Unless Rooney gets injured, then it will be different. I followed Fabio Capello since he was in Milan back in 1992 and his man management is simply outstanding.

Branching out of the topic: I'm glad that there are also soccer fans among the fanatics. I've been following soccer since 1986 - believe it or not: I closely monitored USA National Team when they played in 1990 World Cup. I still follow Italian League and English Premiership although it's been 22 years since I first watched those leagues on TV. I am a fan of AC Milan and Manchester United as well as Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven - and this is waaaay before David Beckham and Lionel Messi.
    +25

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 588

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    I am a fan of ... Manchester United