Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Tyler Norman

  1. #1
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Tyler Norman

    I just came back from Midnight Madness(a basketball tournament at the State Training School) and Ross Marsden and Tyler Norman were the guest speakers. Tyler Norman said that D1 basketball has been a lot different than he has imagined and he said that he still doesn't know if he wants to continue at ISU or go to someplace smaller to play college basketball. Could Tyler be the mysterious transfer?


    Hilton-Bring on the Magic

  2. #2
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Tyler Norman

    Is he a guard? I guess I don't know too much about Basketball. If he is, that would be AWESOME.

    Also, could anyone clear up for me the positions of Basketball? All I really know is that a Point-Guard is viewed in the same respect as a QB is for football.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  3. #3
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Michael Lastuvka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    769
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Tyler Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Is he a guard? I guess I don't know too much about Basketball. If he is, that would be AWESOME.

    Also, could anyone clear up for me the positions of Basketball? All I really know is that a Point-Guard is viewed in the same respect as a QB is for football.
    A point guard dribbles the ball up the court and generally directs the team. A good one takes care of the ball and a REALLY good one can generate offense on his own, despite slight in stature. Good example would be Steve Nash.

    A shooting guard is generally somebody who's quick and capable of scoring, whether it's slashing to the hoop or shooting threes. He generally has more size than a point, ranging from 6 foot to 6'5. In many cases, it's the most athletic player on the team. Example: Kobe Bryant.

    A small forward is generally somebody between 6'6 and 6'9 that's not quick enough to be a shooting guard, but much faster than a power forward. Kevin Durant is a beautiful example of that.

    A power forward is generally between 6'7 and 6'10 and has muscle to bang inside for rebounds, and really good ones have good offensive skills to create buckets. Perfect examples would be Carlos Boozer or Marcus Fizer.

    A center inhabits a general area around the basket, and is ideally taller than 6'10. It's important for the center to have length to bother or block shots. It's TOUGH to find skilled true centers that combine ideal size, defensive skills, and offensive skills. Usually, at least in college, a team has a couple guys that have one or two of the skills mentioned above. Good example would be Greg Oden.

    Hope this helps! Become my prized basketball pupil



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 7,260, Level: 25
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    377
    Points
    7,260
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Tyler Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I just came back from Midnight Madness(a basketball tournament at the State Training School) and Ross Marsden and Tyler Norman were the guest speakers. Tyler Norman said that D1 basketball has been a lot different than he has imagined and he said that he still doesn't know if he wants to continue at ISU or go to someplace smaller to play college basketball. Could Tyler be the mysterious transfer?
    Tyler Norman has no future to speak of at ISU. He would be best-served to find a smaller school to play for. BTW, he's not the mysterious transfer. Norman is not on scholarship so whether he goes or stays doesn't really affect anything.


    Last edited by PsychedClone; 03-31-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Psyched about the Clones!!!

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 42,700, Level: 63
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mike4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,564
    Points
    42,700
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Tyler Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    A point guard dribbles the ball up the court and generally directs the team. A good one takes care of the ball and a REALLY good one can generate offense on his own, despite slight in stature. Good example would be Steve Nash.

    A shooting guard is generally somebody who's quick and capable of scoring, whether it's slashing to the hoop or shooting threes. He generally has more size than a point, ranging from 6 foot to 6'5. In many cases, it's the most athletic player on the team. Example: Kobe Bryant.

    A small forward is generally somebody between 6'6 and 6'9 that's not quick enough to be a shooting guard, but much faster than a power forward. Kevin Durant is a beautiful example of that.

    A power forward is generally between 6'7 and 6'10 and has muscle to bang inside for rebounds, and really good ones have good offensive skills to create buckets. Perfect examples would be Carlos Boozer or Marcus Fizer.

    A center inhabits a general area around the basket, and is ideally taller than 6'10. It's important for the center to have length to bother or block shots. It's TOUGH to find skilled true centers that combine ideal size, defensive skills, and offensive skills. Usually, at least in college, a team has a couple guys that have one or two of the skills mentioned above. Good example would be Greg Oden.

    Hope this helps! Become my prized basketball pupil
    Steve Nash is not a point guard!!! He is an abberation, a freak of nature, the most athleticly unathletic looking person that I have ever seen in my life. But damn if he is'nt really freakin good.


    --Luck of the Cyrish--






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM