Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Hindsight on candidates from '06

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the top 2 candidates were McDermott and Jeter from UW-Milwaukee. I know the fans had a few others high on their lists, including Mark Turgeon but I've yet to read anything that he was an option.

We all know what Greg did before he came here and of course since he's been here. I wanted to look back at what Jeter has done since '05/'06 when he had a 22-9 record as his first year as HC (taking over for Bruce Pearl).

'06/'07 - 9-22
    '07/08 - 14-16
    '08/'09 - 17-14
    '09/'10 - 13-10

I know I've been hard on Greg as many of us have. Some are very critical of Pollard for the hire. But I firmly believe that Greg would have a far better record in that span if he were still at UNI.

This does not excuse in any way, shape or form our current problems. I just wanted to take a moment to look back and reiterate that when compare the two guys that were supposedly the top 2 candidates - the other option no longer looks all that great.

I think it would be a very fair conversation to say JP in the future needs to look at better candidates - but I still don't think at the time we went wrong. It simply just has not worked out so far (and doesn't show a ton of hope that it will change).

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

Re: Hindsight on candidates from '06

Only one season after Pearl was probably at least a bit of an indicator.

Kind of a side bar:

I don't know if anyone else really agrees with this, but, it seems to me that it is much more difficult to make a good hire for basketball than football. Know what I mean? It just seems like there are so many more what ifs.

And this is coming from a perspective with a whole lot more knowledge about basketball than football.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 63

The thing is, you just don't know. Jeter could have came here and lit the world on fire. Blalock, Carr, and Taggart could have all taken to him for some reason and decided to stick around. He could have had a starting 5 of

Blalock
    Carr
    Clark
    Taggart
    Hubalek

That would have been one heck of a strong lineup. Of course, we wouldn't have gotten Taylor, Wes J, or Brackins.

The point is, you just never know who is going to be a good fit where.

Look at LE. Back to back Big 12 titles at ISU, can't get it going at Southern Miss.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Greg just doesn't seem to be the right fit here.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    The thing is, you just don't know. Jeter could have came here and lit the world on fire. Blalock, Carr, and Taggart could have all taken to him for some reason and decided to stick around. He could have had a starting 5 of

Blalock
    Carr
    Clark
    Taggart
    Hubalek

That would have been one heck of a strong lineup.

Look at LE. Back to back Big 12 titles at ISU, can't get it going at Southern Miss.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Greg just doesn't seem to be the right fit here.
    Your points are good, I just think if Jeter could have lit the world on fire here - he would not be struggling so much at UWM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think one of the reasons is that the HC in basketball is so much more hands on than in football.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think one of the reasons is that the HC in basketball is so much more hands on than in football.
    That would seem to lend a belief in the other direction though, at least to me. The HC wouldn't be as reliant upon assistants as in FB.

It just seems to me it is a whole lot more difficult to predict how a basketball coach will pan out than football. Or maybe (big time maybe) I'm just an idiot.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,654
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 14

Jeter also had a huge buyout---I want to see in the range of a million. McDermott came with no buy out. We really did get McDermott at bargain basement prices. Can't say that the guy didn't want to be here.

Jeter came highly recommended by Bo Ryan.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    That would seem to lend a belief in the other direction though, at least to me. The HC wouldn't be as reliant upon assistants as in FB.

It just seems to me it is a whole lot more difficult to predict how a basketball coach will pan out than football. Or maybe (big time maybe) I'm just an idiot.

My point is, you have so many more coaches on a football team. You have offensive coordinators, and defensive coordinators and all the position coaches. If you have a few of those coaches that turn our to be great or even very good, they can carry the rest. You only have a few people who directly affect a basketball team.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

Blalock
    Carr
    Clark
    Taggart
    Hubalek

That would have been one heck of a strong lineup. Of course, we wouldn't have gotten Taylor, Wes J, or Brackins.

Carr quit on his teammates with a week left in the season.
    That's not the type of thing that's just forgiven.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's an interesting point, just not sure I quite agree. I just can't pinpoint what it is that seems more difficult.

When I think of coaching searches for football I can come up with a limited number of names that I would be confident in. For basketball I have a hard time in being confident with any of them. Maybe it's due to "knowing" basketball better or because I'm still puzzled why GMac hasn't been able to have the success here (could rationalize ecuses if I had to). Of course in either sport it's a 50/50 proposition.

Does anybody else have this same issue when trying to project coaches in MBB and FB?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would love to get the guy from BYU.

Legend
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 1,128

If football, there are a lot more assistants and coordinators that are groomed as future head coaches. In basketball, it seems like the only way to find a coach is to get a head coach from a lesser school. A lot of times it seems like that HC had his system working at his old school and is not always able to adapt to the tougher conference/opponents.

GMac falls into this scenario. He had a real rhythm going at UNI. He found out that you can't play that style of ball in the Big 12 night in and night out. GMac has also had trouble recruiting real Big12 talent and keeping kids on the roster. This may just be unfortunate circumstances or a direct result of the kind of coach GMac is.

Either way, we either have to give him a few more years, or cut him loose and start over again. I think he is starting to do a better job of recruiting decent talent, but may or may not be improving at keeping them here.

Unfortunately, being mediocre in the Big12 will lose you a lot of games. OK team end up at the bottom of the standings. At UNI, medocre would at least get you to the middle of the pack in my opinion.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 265

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    It's an interesting point, just not sure I quite agree. I just can't pinpoint what it is that seems more difficult.

When I think of coaching searches for football I can come up with a limited number of names that I would be confident in. For basketball I have a hard time in being confident with any of them. Maybe it's due to "knowing" basketball better or because I'm still puzzled why GMac hasn't been able to have the success here (could rationalize ecuses if I had to). Of course in either sport it's a 50/50 proposition.

Does anybody else have this same issue when trying to project coaches in MBB and FB?
    I just keep see the players walk to the bench without acknowledging the coach talking. This does not bode well. He probably needs to go talk to their face quickly. I also see this on many other bball teams where players today ignore the upset coach as much as possible. MCD should have been more successful than he is. That is what we all know.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

I admit that I have lost total faith in GMAC. He is a good guy and I do feel badly for him. I guess the thing that disappoints me the most about this whole situation is that he had done so well in building up the UNI program. When he was hired the thought never even entered my mind that 4 years later the program at ISU would be in this bad of shape.

My honest opinion is that this program was sent into this tailspin with the firing of LE and the quick hiring of the Satellite Man. Since then this program has been on a steady decline and there has really never been any kind of stability. Satellite Man took naps on the bench and let the players coach themselves etc... and then Greg came into a mess. That being said Greg was put in a tough spot and without achieving a moderate level of success within his first couple of seasons the program continued to decline into the chaos that it is in right now. Greg has had his chance and I just don't think he has what it takes to turn the tide.

I just don't think that a moderately successful mid-major coach is going to have what it takes to turn things around at a program in ISU's position at this point. GMAC wasn't the answer so replacing him with another mid-major guy will more then likely just bring us more of the same.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I just keep see the players walk to the bench without acknowledging the coach talking. This does not bode well. He probably needs to go talk to their face quickly. I also see this on many other bball teams where players today ignore the upset coach as much as possible. MCD should have been more successful than he is. That is what we all know.

From the outside, it does not appear like the team is overly fond of Greg.