Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 188
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 15,621, Level: 37
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    1TRUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    209
    Points
    15,621
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    I am done with Iowa State basketball.

    Some background on me:
    I am in my mid 30's and I have been going to games since the early 1980's with my dad. Back then my dad contributed to the Cyclone Club and we had two tickets in the corner of the upper deck. Gradually over time, his contributions increased and eventually plateaued to Captains level with seats in the parquet. Currently my dad and I split the cost of his tickets and Cyclone Club contributions.

    This is why I am done:
    I am at a point in my life where my time is just as valuable (if not more so) than money. I have 3 kids, ages 9, 7, and 4. I am no longer willing to waste my "free" time on watching, what I consider, underachieving and poorly coached basketball. I would much rather spend that time on my family and/or any number of other activities that I enjoy which do not make me angry or depressed when I am done with them. This doesn't take into account the financial investment which I am no longer willing to make.

    What could bring me back:
    With the current direction of the program, I see no reason to believe that things will change this year, or next. Honestly, I feel the only way this could change is if McD is let go and we some how land a coach that can take us in a new direction. I need optimism in the program to be willing to invest in it again.

    Trust me, all of this makes me sad. I grew up a cyclone basketball fan, am an alumnus, and I want my kids to be fans as well. I really like McD, I just don't think he is the right fit for us. Before you rip my post apart, keep in mind this is just how I feel and I am not asking anyone else to follow in my footsteps, I just wanted to get my feelings off my chest.

    Anyone else feel the way I do?

    Brian Johnson
    Class of 1997



  2. #2
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 237,586, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,967
    Points
    237,586
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 645
    Given: 578

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    So when Dendy misses a point blank layup last night, did you blame coach Mac? It goes both ways. It's not ALWAYS coach Mac's fault. Even if you hate the direction, don't you still support the kids who wear your school colors? Isn't that the point of fans? Or are we now like Hawkeye fans where we don't support the team unless they are good and winning. I understand if you need more time for family or don't want to spend the money, but being negative helps nothing. I partially say that to all the negativity. At least you have reasoned your displeasure.

    Do people really think Coach Mac wakes up and wonders how he can misdirect this program anymore? We all need to step back from the ledge. There are a LOT of games left to make some noise.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 84,628, Level: 90
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,129
    Points
    84,628
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 2

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Your username and this thread = ironic.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 864,050, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,816
    Points
    864,050
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,775
    Given: 1,496

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    So when Dendy misses a point blank layup last night, did you blame coach Mac? It goes both ways. It's not ALWAYS coach Mac's fault. Even if you hate the direction, don't you still support the kids who wear your school colors? Isn't that the point of fans? Or are we now like Hawkeye fans where we don't support the team unless they are good and winning. I understand if you need more time for family or don't want to spend the money, but being negative helps nothing.

    Do you really think Coach Mac wakes up and wonders how he can misdirect this program anymore? We all need to step back from the ledge. There are a LOT of games left to make some noise.
    The drama is more fun. Let's go that way.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  5. #5
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Your username and this thread = ironic.
    My thoughts exactly. Perhaps he could change it from TRU to NON

    I will give him credit. He laid it out there and signed his name to it. More than most would do.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-04-2010 at 09:38 AM.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 177,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,380
    Points
    177,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Usually the coach teaches players how to make layups, yes.

    That being said, do we need each person who is ****** off to start their own thread? Maybe we can merge the 3 ****** off threads into one giant ******* match?




  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 151,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,081
    Points
    151,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1TRUFAN View Post
    I am done with Iowa State basketball.

    Some background on me:
    I am in my mid 30's and I have been going to games since the early 1980's with my dad. Back then my dad contributed to the Cyclone Club and we had two tickets in the corner of the upper deck. Gradually over time, his contributions increased and eventually plateaued to Captains level with seats in the parquet. Currently my dad and I split the cost of his tickets and Cyclone Club contributions.

    This is why I am done:
    I am at a point in my life where my time is just as valuable (if not more so) than money. I have 3 kids, ages 9, 7, and 4. I am no longer willing to waste my "free" time on watching, what I consider, underachieving and poorly coached basketball. I would much rather spend that time on my family and/or any number of other activities that I enjoy which do not make me angry or depressed when I am done with them. This doesn't take into account the financial investment which I am no longer willing to make.

    What could bring me back:
    With the current direction of the program, I see no reason to believe that things will change this year, or next. Honestly, I feel the only way this could change is if McD is let go and we some how land a coach that can take us in a new direction. I need optimism in the program to be willing to invest in it again.

    Trust me, all of this makes me sad. I grew up a cyclone basketball fan, am an alumnus, and I want my kids to be fans as well. I really like McD, I just don't think he is the right fit for us. Before you rip my post apart, keep in mind this is just how I feel and I am not asking anyone else to follow in my footsteps, I just wanted to get my feelings off my chest.

    Anyone else feel the way I do?

    Brian Johnson
    Class of 1997
    I'd hate to see what happens when you lose in real life.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 13,871, Level: 35
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    CycloneTony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianola
    Posts
    1,047
    Points
    13,871
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Not happy with our program either but its just a sport if you let it run your life than where is your life.

    You were a fan through a

    9-18 season in 81
    10-17 in 82
    12-19 in 91
    12-18 in 98
    12-19 in 02

    and that is just in the 80's and up I could go back further

    give up on the coach

    but not the program we will get back to it soon.


    Occam's Razor means 'With all things being equal , the simplest explanation/answer is normally the right one'


  9. #9
    Rookie CycloneBBallMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Your username and this thread = ironic.
    hahaha so true



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 273,137, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,683
    Points
    273,137
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 174

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    I agree 100%. Like I have said, I highly doubt I will buy season tickets next year. Its not worth my time. As far as the money aspect of it, I may just take the money I would have budgeted for Men's Basketball tickets and just increase my NCC donation. I just refuse to directly invest in Men's Basketball by purchasing season tickets.



  11. #11
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 237,586, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,967
    Points
    237,586
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 645
    Given: 578

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Usually the coach teaches players how to make layups, yes.

    That being said, do we need each person who is ****** off to start their own thread? Maybe we can merge the 3 ****** off threads into one giant ******* match?


    do you really think a player waited until college to be taught a "layup?". Guess all the other times he made one, it was an accident. The point was that a lot of the mistakes are out of the coach's hands. Sometimes, things just happen!


    @RandomGeoFacts

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 19,233, Level: 42
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 617
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    bufante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    DMI
    Posts
    969
    Points
    19,233
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    The irony is your name is 1truefan? Haha...I guess that was a misnomer huh?

    I'm not happy either.

    I love coming on here after a loss (this year) and seeing all of the same arguments and statements. Let's put some more facts on here that back up that we suck.

    We have underachieved this year, well known fact. No need to go back into it all over again and again and again.

    By the way, I won't be done with ISU ever. I'm a fan for life and I'll be here when something good happens.

    Keep it real.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 98,050, Level: 97
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,792
    Points
    98,050
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 15

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Good for you, you must be so proud of yourself.



  14. #14
    Rookie CycloneBBallMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    i'm a fan, i'll go to every game. but i would be soooooooooooooo much more excited for the upcoming season if mcd is gone! if he stays...........



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 177,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,380
    Points
    177,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

    Re: Why I Am Done With ISU Basketball...Anyone Else?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    do you really think a player waited until college to be taught a "layup?". Guess all the other times he made one, it was an accident. The point was that a lot of the mistakes are out of the coach's hands. Sometimes, things just happen!
    The sign of a good leader : Share the accomplishments, own the failures.

    Can you use your magic mod powers and merge all the ******** threads into one, it will be easier to watch the meltdown that way!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM