Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 162

Blackberry vs Palm Pre

Are there any new Blackberry 8530 users or Palm Pre users for Sprint? I am currently looking to get a new phone and I would like to get either the new Blackberry Curve 8530 or the Palm Pre. The Pre is $100 more than the Blackberry, so if they are about the same, quality and user friendly wise, I will save myself the money and go with the Blackberry. I don't really want to drop a ton of money on a new phone, so the HTC is not an option.
    Any advice?

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Blackberry vs Palm Pre

pre sucks

Love me some: Stone Cold Stunners and Erin Andrews

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by jakecovo21 View Post
    pre sucks
    Ridiculously insightful. How long have you owned one Jake?

I had a Blackberry Pearl 8130 on Verizon for 2 years and thought it was an OK phone. I think I was paying $90 for it with their data plan.
    I have had the Pre since it came out in June on Sprint. I am getting a lot more use out of it than I did the blackberry, the phone has held up very well (I was skeptical about it being too pretty and being a slider). I am paying $55 for it a month with unlimited everything with a work discount. I also use it to tether quite a bit (shhhhhhh).

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 54

pre sucks
    Hard to argue with that...

First off, I would say it really depends on what you will use it for. A blackberry in general will be much more business centric and it will excel in email and battery life, and that is about it.

The Pre will still handle any email and calendar stuff you have for work, but it also has a flashy UI that allows for multitasking, app downloads, and a really good web browser.

Finally, I wouldn't take the HTC Hero off of my list either. The Android OS has a ton of great apps, many of them free, and you can customize the heck out of it.

If it is a price issue for you, I wouldn't hesitate to look at some of the 3rd party retailers like Best Buy or Radio Shack. A lot of times they will have sales that will beat the price you see in a Sprint store. I just looked at Radio Shack and they have the Hero for 99, the Pre for 79, and the 8530 for free as a (web only on the 8530).

I know people with all three and haven't heard anything real bad about any of them. It just comes down to personal preference and what sorts of things you want to do.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

I don't really have any experience with those phones. But if the HTC is too expensive at the normal price, how willing are you to bend the rules?

HTC Touch Pro 2 $49 (poss $24) HERO, PIXI & MOMENT for $29 shipped *NO SERO* after new line activation w/ 25-27% corporate discounts - SlickDeals.net Forums

Otherwise, if it's not too late, you can get $20 off per month for 24 months...

New Regulatory Fee Increase=GET OUT OF YOUR SPRINT CONTRACT FOR FREE, NO ETF! - SlickDeals.net Forums

Plenty of ways to save $$ with Sprint. Before you upgrade your phone, renew your contract and ask for the $70 renewal credit.

I'd get the Hero

Last edited by MrGreg; 02-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

pre sucks
    Very informative, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    Ridiculously insightful. How long have you owned one Jake?

I had a Blackberry Pearl 8130 on Verizon for 2 years and thought it was an OK phone. I think I was paying $90 for it with their data plan.
    I have had the Pre since it came out in June on Sprint. I am getting a lot more use out of it than I did the blackberry, the phone has held up very well (I was skeptical about it being too pretty and being a slider). I am paying $55 for it a month with unlimited everything with a work discount. I also use it to tether quite a bit (shhhhhhh).
    How fast is the service when you tether? The same as it is on your cell phone? Also, is it hard to set up?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreg View Post
    I don't really have any experience with those phones. But if the HTC is too expensive at the normal price, how willing are you to bend the rules?

HTC Touch Pro 2 $49 (poss $24) HERO, PIXI & MOMENT for $29 shipped *NO SERO* after new line activation w/ 25-27% corporate discounts - SlickDeals.net Forums

Otherwise, if it's not too late, you can get $20 off per month for 24 months...

New Regulatory Fee Increase=GET OUT OF YOUR SPRINT CONTRACT FOR FREE, NO ETF! - SlickDeals.net Forums

Plenty of ways to save $$ with Sprint. Before you upgrade your phone, renew your contract and ask for the $70 renewal credit.

I'd get the Hero
    Thanks for the links, I'll look into those!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Very informative, thanks!

How fast is the service when you tether? The same as it is on your cell phone? Also, is it hard to set up?
    The service is surprisingly fast for using it to tether. The real nice thing about that is being in a hotel room or airport that wants to charge you $10 for a few hours worth of use.

Not too hard to set up. There are some really good forums for different programs. I used mytether.net and I paid $15 for it. They've done a fairly good job at trying to keep it working properly thru the updates.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Hard to argue with that...

First off, I would say it really depends on what you will use it for. A blackberry in general will be much more business centric and it will excel in email and battery life, and that is about it.

The Pre will still handle any email and calendar stuff you have for work, but it also has a flashy UI that allows for multitasking, app downloads, and a really good web browser.

Finally, I wouldn't take the HTC Hero off of my list either. The Android OS has a ton of great apps, many of them free, and you can customize the heck out of it.

If it is a price issue for you, I wouldn't hesitate to look at some of the 3rd party retailers like Best Buy or Radio Shack. A lot of times they will have sales that will beat the price you see in a Sprint store. I just looked at Radio Shack and they have the Hero for 99, the Pre for 79, and the 8530 for free as a (web only on the 8530).

I know people with all three and haven't heard anything real bad about any of them. It just comes down to personal preference and what sorts of things you want to do.
    To get those deals, do I have to renew my contract through that specific store?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 20

Had a Pre since they first came out. I like it quite a bit, now that the app store is growing the phone is very flexible. Since it is a Rev 1 phone the hardware has some issues (see also Oreoing and stress breaks). The battery life is HORRIBLE since you can multitask. I love being able to multitask and do quite a bit with my Pre so I just make sure I charge it every night.

We just bought a Curve 2 to replace one of our Treos so I will be able to use both and give you a real good comparison in a few days.

Very important lesson learned... NEVER pass up the opportunity to acquire a bottle of Templeton Rye... NEVER.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khehr View Post
    Had a Pre since they first came out. I like it quite a bit, now that the app store is growing the phone is very flexible. Since it is a Rev 1 phone the hardware has some issues (see also Oreoing and stress breaks). The battery life is HORRIBLE since you can multitask. I love being able to multitask and do quite a bit with my Pre so I just make sure I charge it every night.

We just bought a Curve 2 to replace one of our Treos so I will be able to use both and give you a real good comparison in a few days.
    That would be awesome if you could!

Battery life isn't a "huge" deal for me, as I always throw my phone on the charger before I go to bed every night. Now, if it dies throughout the day, then that would be a problem.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My Pre doesn't die within the day and I'll use it to check emails, facebook, bank, etc.

Now if I'm roaming or using the wi-fi a lot then it will. So just daily use with a good amount if internet usage still doesn't kill it for me but I do charge it every night.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My Pre doesn't die within the day and I'll use it to check emails, facebook, bank, etc.

Now if I'm roaming or using the wi-fi a lot then it will. So just daily use with a good amount if internet usage still doesn't kill it for me but I do charge it every night.
    Do you have to use the wi-fi quite a bit? If you're in range of your 3G network, then what is the point of using wi-fi? Is it faster?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Do you have to use the wi-fi quite a bit? If you're in range of your 3G network, then what is the point of using wi-fi? Is it faster?
    No, I use the wifi if I'm going to be in a hotspot for a while, it is quite a bit quicker. It doesn't drain the battery a whole ton using it, but I think its like bluetooth, where if you leave it on all the time it might drain the battery a little more.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No, I use the wifi if I'm going to be in a hotspot for a while, it is quite a bit quicker. It doesn't drain the battery a whole ton using it, but I think its like bluetooth, where if you leave it on all the time it might drain the battery a little more.
    Nice to know. Thanks for the info.