Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Tyson

Watching the Mike Tyson documentary right now. I would highly recommend it, it's very good... They break down the two Hollyfeild fights, including the biting incident. It's pretty clear Hollyfield was intentionally head butting Tyson in both fights, I could see why he would become so enraged.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

Re: Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Watching the Mike Tyson documentary right now. I would highly recommend it, it's very good... They break down the two Hollyfeild fights, including the biting incident. It's pretty clear Hollyfield was intentionally head butting Tyson in both fights, I could see why he would become so enraged.

"In the world of sports, Mike Tyson bit a man's ear off. I don't know what all the hoopla was about. I've actually bit a man's ear off on several occasions! And I'm not proud of it, but it helped me out of many a jam!"

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

If its half as entertaining as these interviews I can't wait to watch:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDjMCxNHSg]YouTube - Mike Tyson Funny Interviews Part 1[/ame]

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Holyfield tried butting pretty much everyone he fought.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Tyson is one of the biggest wastes of space in the history of this planet. He got his *** handed to him both times by Holyfield. He was a joke even in his so called glory days. Beating on a bunch of has beens and never would be's. Larry Holmes, etc.

I 2 from time to time bite people's ears off when i'm in a tight spot.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

It's a lesson for everyone and more important for student athletes who are going to be successful after their college careers that it takes an emotional maturity not only to be succesful but also to stay successful, including making friends and selecting spouse.
    Tyson left the team (Bill Cayton, Kevin Rooney) who made him successful and didn't make a good choice when dealing with people. He wasted tons of money for his "friends" (I remember one article said one of his posses' cellphone bill was $5000 and Tyson paid for it).
    His first manager (Bill Cayton) and the team actually saved certain percentage of his earnings for his retirement fund so he wouldn't have to box after certain age. Unfortunately we know the rest of the story....

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyededric View Post
    Tyson is one of the biggest wastes of space in the history of this planet. He got his *** handed to him both times by Holyfield. He was a joke even in his so called glory days. Beating on a bunch of has beens and never would be's. Larry Holmes, etc.

You are sorely mistaken if you don't think Tyson was good in his prime. He was the undesupted heavy weight champion of the world, and he beat everybody. You dont have to take my word for it, he is Ring magazines number 16 boxer of all time (and considering he missed 4 years of his prime in court and prision thats impressive). Maybe not a bright guy, or a good guy, but he was one hell of a boxer.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I never said he wasn't good. The two best fighters he fought were Holyfield & Lewis. Holyfield busted him up both times and Lewis embarrased him badly.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I never said he wasn't good. The two best fighters he fought were Holyfield & Lewis. Holyfield busted him up both times and Lewis embarrased him badly.
    Wasn't Tyson considered pretty much invincible prior to his prison stint?

The material that I have read says his boxing skills never approximated what they had been after he was released from prison.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There were 2 Tysons: before Douglas fight, Tyson was the best. His movement was second to none, very difficult to get hit because he weaved and bobbed expertly plus he ducked his head like a turtle. He also had Kevin Rooney, who was one of the best trainers in the world.
    After that Tyson was not the same boxer: his dedication to train was poor and he became one dimensional fighter: trying to score KO via single punch instead of through combinations. If you recall Douglas fight, Tyson only tried to hit him through left hook and it was easy for Douglas to tame a single punch.
    I don't think Tyson was a joke in his heyday: he unified the heavyweight championships, he fought top contenders. But you have to see who were available that time: Holy was still in the cruiserweight, Lewis: he was still in amateur. The heavyweight were dominated by "big guys" who are heavy but not really athletes.

Last edited by cyclone13; 01-31-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wouldn't call Michael Spinks a "has been" or a "never would be." At the time they fought Ring magazine refused to acknowledge Tyson as the heavyweight champion, instead claiming it was Spinks. That fight amounted to 90 seconds of pure domination by Tyson.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Wouldn't call Michael Spinks a "has been" or a "never would be." At the time they fought Ring magazine refused to acknowledge Tyson as the heavyweight champion, instead claiming it was Spinks. That fight amounted to 90 seconds of pure domination by Tyson.
    +1
    Probably Holmes was the only Has been but Holmes was only 3 years removed from losing the rematch against Spinks, which many believed that Holmes won. The others were "never would be" or "have beens" but again, like I said: they were the best available at the time:
    1. Tyrell Biggs: 1984 Heavyweight gold medalist, No. 1 contender from WBA when he fought Tyson
    2. Pinklon Thomas: 1984-86 WBC Champion.
    3. Carl Williams: No. 1 contender from IBF
    4. Tony Tubbs: 1985-86 WBA Champion, No. 1 Contender from WBA
    5. James Smith: WBA champion
    6. Tony Tucker: IBF Champion
    7. Frank Bruno: Commonwealth champions. He was highly ranked that time.

The pre-Douglas Tyson never avoided any challengers. That's different from what we see now.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    +1
    Probably Holmes was the only Has been but Holmes was only 3 years removed from losing the rematch against Spinks, which many believed that Holmes won. The others were "never would be" or "have beens" but again, like I said: they were the best available at the time:
    1. Tyrell Biggs: 1984 Heavyweight gold medalist, No. 1 contender from WBA when he fought Tyson
    2. Pinklon Thomas: 1984-86 WBC Champion.
    3. Carl Williams: No. 1 contender from IBF
    4. Tony Tubbs: 1985-86 WBA Champion, No. 1 Contender from WBA
    5. James Smith: WBA champion
    6. Tony Tucker: IBF Champion
    7. Frank Bruno: Commonwealth champions. He was highly ranked that time.

The pre-Douglas Tyson never avoided any challengers. That's different from what we see now.
    There are two ways to go here. You could say, like the other guy, that Tyson thrived in an era of no name heavyweights. You could also say the reason they're now considered no names is because Tyson so thoroughly dominated the heavyweight division, none of them were able to make a name for themselves. Where was there for these guys to go and establish their names in the sport after getting beaten down by Tyson? Biggs was considered to be the next big thing, came up with huge fanfare, and Tyson destroyed him.

Much of Tyson's success came from his mystique. His opponents were beaten before the first round even started. The Spinks fight was the perfect example of that. He knew he was dead before he even got into the ring. When Tyson fought Douglas, Buster went in with nothing to lose. He'd just lost his mom and didn't give a shite about Tyson's mystique. That, coupled with the fact that Tyson fired his usual corner guys and had a bunch of his homeboys trying to deal with swelling and things they were clueless about, is what made that upset happen. Douglas gave the perfect blueprint on how to beat Tyson -- he wasn't intimidated, and he bullied the bully.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Gonzo,

I totally agree with you. I just realized I forgot to put the "not" - it should be "the others were not "would never be" or "have beens".
    I would say Tyson dominated the heavyweight division that time. It's a tragedy to see such a talent go to waste.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 47

Buster Douglas for all practical purposes ended Tyson's life as he knew it. If not Douglas, someone else sooner or later would close the door on his invincibility.

I was about 14-15 when Tyson got knocked out in Tokyo. Shocked was a understatement. Still to this day, i can't really think of a bigger upset i have witnessed.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!