Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

lunch with pollard today

Jamie Pollard had a lunch and discussion today with graduate students in business to discuss various aspects of running a college athletic program. He talked about leadership type things, but also a little bit about things going on with ISU, so I thought I would pass some of that along.

First off, in regards to football tickets: The sudden jump in prices this season was done due to the strength of the schedule, with 7 home games including Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, and UNI. As this only occurs once every four years, he felt an increase for this season was easily justifiable based on the quality of the home slate plus the extra game. What I found exceptionally interesting was that he commented that the schedule this coming fall was also a consideration in the coaching change that took place. He didn't elaborate on that any further, but I found it very interesting that it was a factor in the decision.

In regards to the Iowa game season tickets only: He said that while he is an optimistic person and hopes the game will sell out, he does expect that there will be empty seats and there will be the criticism to go with it. He indicated that the decision was about changing how we as fans view our ticket purchasing obligations, mentioning the abundant requests for additional single game tickets to this game. He also mentioned the free publicity that has resulted from it, stating that we could not afford to buy the amount of free advertising that we have gotten from this, and that he didn't think that buying that advertising would have been as effective in generating ticket sales.

Regarding season tickets: A couple of interesting things here. First off, he said that the maximum number of season tickets we can sell is 38,000 not counting hillsides. That is because of the number of permanent seats available and ticket requirements for visiting schools and tent parties. In addition, he said that we have sold 3500 season tickets so far in addition to renewals, and that these are not sales to Iowa fans. Most have been additional ticket sales to current ticket holders and alumni.

Finally, regarding rearranging the upper level of the stadium: They are adding the corner section to the student section because the general public does fill up that section because they can't see past the standing students. This will add a center balcony section to the general public. These tickets should be easier to sell and this section will also provide an area for ticket holders displaced by the construction of the new suites. He said they had put a camera in the press box to take pictures of the west stands at different times during each of the games to analyze crowd trend to come to this solution, the guy does his homework.

He also spoke briefly on shrinking the student section for basketball. He said that the new student section would still be larger than the average student attendance this year. He also mentioned that strong demand and attendance for the cheap tickets in the corners was an added incentive to free up balcony seats. The people in the corner seats did a great job of showing up for games or giving their tickets to people who could. They are being rewarded for their efforts.

Finally, baseball. It will come back once we have our existing programs at the level they need to be. Nothing earth shattering there. And I think we all know how long to road is to get there, so don't hold your breath.

Overall it was interesting to hear what he had to say. I've heard him talk a couple of times and have always come away impressed. This time was no different. I think we have the right person at the helm to take us places. And he was very complimentary of the support he has from President Geoffrey to give him what he needs to get the job done. I know we are all hoping that he succeeds in getting it done.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: lunch with pollard today

Finally, baseball. It will come back once we have our existing programs at the level they need to be. Nothing earth shattering there. And I think we all know how long to road is to get there, so don't hold your breath.
    Bringing back men's programs in this day and age of Title IX are tough waters to navigate.

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

no doubt the guy is a visionary i think hes going to take us above and beyond what ISU has even dreamed of i hope he stays with us to see it all through. i believe he will because it seems to me that he really wants to make a legacy for him self and taking ISU from mediocre to national power house would do it

dan k

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

That's interesting. This fan doesn't buy into the football strength of schedule comment, but hey they're selling tickets! 38,000 tickets sold this year is not a stretch. Particuarly when some fans find that out and it creates a sense of urgency to buy.

He's right on about all the free advertizing he's getting with the comotion this has caused. Most of the criticisim is coming from the Iowa fans, so who cares??

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 23

Good read, sir.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

So if we sell about 7,000 more season tickets, the Iowa game will be filled? Am I interpreting this right?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

Well, your sort of right. The 38,000 figure is for permanent seats. However, we now sell season tickets for hillside seats. It would seem likely that the 31k that we have sold so far probably include some number of hillside season tickets, though Pollard did not mention a number in that regard.

He also mentioned that it was a goal of the department to have 35k season ticket holders by 2012. Based on the 30k last year that would have been a pace of just less then 1000 per year. Looking at how sales have gone so far this year I would say that 35k is possible well before 2012. Hopefully this will help make sure that we get the south end of Jack Trice enclosed sooner rather than later.

Prospect
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I'm not certain, but I think the current number includes hillside tickets, whereas the 38,000 number does not.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Finally, baseball. It will come back once we have our existing programs at the level they need to be.
    What does that mean to have the programs "at the level they need to be"? I'd love to ISU Baseball come back.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Anyone know how many hillside season tickets we sold last year?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The "at the level they need to be" comment relates directly to revenue generation...specifically football revenue generation. If we generate the kind of revenue we should in football...it is possible to add a non-revenue generating male sport (baseball) and a female sport (which, with Title IX, would be necessary).

I have had the opportunity to meet President Geoffroy and I can tell you that all that is happening in the Athletic Department at ISU is a direct result of a President that "gets it"...we are lucky to have him running the school!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 309

Thanks for sharing aeroclone!

That just cements my man-crush on JP.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,274
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Bringing back men's programs in this day and age of Title IX are tough waters to navigate.
    If they bring back a women's program, they would be violating Title IX.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Great Read! I have also had the opportunity to listen to Pollard speak and he makes you proud to be a Cyclone. When we saw him in OKC at the Big XII tourney he always said hello and asked us how we were doing and thanked us for coming.

I onlyu wish Pollard was hired after Gene Smith left. Gene Smith was the real deal and Pollard is also!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,274
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan65 View Post
    What does that mean to have the programs "at the level they need to be"? I'd love to ISU Baseball come back.

The greatest impact anyone can make to bring baseball back to ISU is to buy football season tickets.