Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 0

Football recruiting: DL

What was probably our weakest position on the field this year? I'd say by far our DL.

So as of right now, we have one JUCO DE commit, and one DT commit. I noticed that Iowa has two DE commits and 3 DT commits. That is 5 defensive line commits to 2 for us.

And now you know why Iowa has a dominating front four and we don't.

I hate comparing everything to Iowa, but there is a reason why they are able to always stay in football games... great defense. And that is because they are committed to having great defenses.

We need to make that same kind of committment.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 47

Re: Football recruiting: DL

Maybe the coaching staff knows something we dont know. I have faith!

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Do you really think our staff doesn't know this?

There are so few young athletes out there with both the mental and physical toughness to play that position. It is easily the most difficult position to find and recruit in college football. Giving away scholarships to guys that have to chance to complete at this level is a waste.

You are correct that the success of Iowa is directly linked to finding and recruiting those players, but it has nothing to do with their staff making more of a commitment than our staff. When CPR and WB find defensive linemen worthy of an offer and with interest in ISU, you can be darn sure they will do everything they can to sign them.

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I love how some people on here assume that CPR and staff aren't trying to get D-linemen. I am sure that they are doing what they can to bring in the d-linemen that they want, but just aren't having a ton of success right now. Iowa was a top 10 team, obviously they are going to have more luck getting the kids they want.

Walk On
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Iowa has a much easier time recruiting D line than we do. Simple reason is past success. Of course due to that they can continue with better recruits until it becomes a formula of reload instead of rebuild. It takes a catalyst to propel a program to great success/tradition. Hayden Fry came into Iowa and had nothing. He took advantage of getting athletic kids from the south when southern schools still clung on to racism and segragation. From there things changed for Iowa and Hayden then built off success. Along with creating a terrific staff, all position recruiting fed off each other and the program sky rocketed. We had a similar scenario with Johhny Majors in the 70's. He took the same approach, had great success, but moved on. The pipline he built for ISU collapsed. ISU needs their own catalyst to propel us beyond our normal expectations. We very easily could be at the begining of one right now. With the staff we have put together it sure seems that way to me IMHO.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    What was probably our weakest position on the field this year? I'd say by far our DL.

So as of right now, we have one JUCO DE commit, and one DT commit. I noticed that Iowa has two DE commits and 3 DT commits. That is 5 defensive line commits to 2 for us.

I hate comparing everything to Iowa, but there is a reason why they are able to always stay in football games... great defense. And that is because they are committed to having great defenses.

I'm forwarding this to Coach Rhoads as we speak. This is information he will want to know immediately.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Of course you realize that last year Iowa signed 2 DL right???

Its a cycle, ISU will be heavy on the DL next year is what i can see with the cycles.....

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,073
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 64

OP, I'm going to assume you arent following recruiting any more closely than a quick glance at the commitment list on rivals this morning. so i will try to fill you in...

we were after at least 1 juco DT that recently committed elsewhere. there was a second juco DT early on that removed us from his list.

we brought in Kenneth Kirksey for a visit last weekend...he is a highly sought HS DT that has us in his top 3 with Rutgers and Florida International.

there were other HS DTs along the way that never really got high on us but we tried.

we also have a juco DE waiting in the wings if we end up having a scholarship for him.

Husker Hater

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

If you take a look at Iowa's past classes, their defensive line prospects were heavy on undersized DEs. It's about time they got some DT-type recruits.

In 2009, they had one DT (who was 6-2, 240) and one DE; In 2008, they had no DTs and 4 DEs, the biggest of whom was moved to the OL (Reiff), After him, the biggest, both in height and weight, was 6-4, 220. In 2007, they recruited two DEs and only one DT. Also in that class were Broadrick Binns, recruited as a LB, and Christian Ballard, recruited as a 6-4, 270 TE. The lone DT that year was the undersized Hundertmark (6-4 260), who is in the 2-deeps but really hasn't shown much. So in the three years previous to this class, they signed only two guys who were listed as DTs when they signed them, and a lot of their DE types were in the 6-1 to 6-4 range weighing from 210 to 225.

So you're comment that they have a dominant front line because that's how they recruit is so far off, it's not even funny. They DEVELOP their D-line, they don't recruit it. Most of the guys starting on their DL were recruited as something else. DT Klug (LB); DT Ballard (TE); DE Binns (LB). Only DE Clayborn was recruited as a defensive end and stayed there.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    So you're comment that they have a dominant front line because that's how they recruit is so far off, it's not even funny. They DEVELOP their D-line, they don't recruit it. Most of the guys starting on their DL were recruited as something else. DT Klug (LB); DT Ballard (TE); DE Binns (LB). Only DE Clayborn was recruited as a defensive end and stayed there.
    Does ISU have any linebackers or tight ends that can be moved to the DL? I'm not impressed with how the Neal transition to DE has gone so far. One sack in 10 starts isn't going to get it done. ISU ranked 119th in the nation in sacks last season so we can only imagine what kind of first season Rhoads could have had with just an average DL. Next season we're losing our best player (Lyle) so I don't see a lot of reasons for optimism unless the Juco DE and/or some of our redshirts turn out to be studs.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 425

Our team is loaded with decent guys on the Dline. Decent as in holding their own for a few plays a game. Once we find a great pass rusher at DT, NG, DE its going to make the rest seem a lot better.

I just hope we can find that one guy. Im praying that Willie Scott gets his weight up and can be one of those big time guys or that we can land one in the next few years.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 425

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    Does ISU have any linebackers or tight ends that can be moved to the DL? I'm not impressed with how the Neal transition to DE has gone so far. One sack in 10 starts isn't going to get it done. ISU ranked 119th in the nation in sacks last season so we can only imagine what kind of first season Rhoads could have had with just an average DL. Next season we're losing our best player (Lyle) so I don't see a lot of reasons for optimism unless the Juco DE and/or some of our redshirts turn out to be studs.

Lattimer is likely being moved to DE.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    If you take a look at Iowa's past classes, their defensive line prospects were heavy on undersized DEs. It's about time they got some DT-type recruits.

In 2009, they had one DT (who was 6-2, 240) and one DE; In 2008, they had no DTs and 4 DEs, the biggest of whom was moved to the OL (Reiff), After him, the biggest, both in height and weight, was 6-4, 220. In 2007, they recruited two DEs and only one DT. Also in that class were Broadrick Binns, recruited as a LB, and Christian Ballard, recruited as a 6-4, 270 TE. The lone DT that year was the undersized Hundertmark (6-4 260), who is in the 2-deeps but really hasn't shown much. So in the three years previous to this class, they signed only two guys who were listed as DTs when they signed them, and a lot of their DE types were in the 6-1 to 6-4 range weighing from 210 to 225.

Does Iowa just have a great training program to build up all that bulk on those undersized players or could it be "other supplements"?

Gallery went from about 220 pounds to about 320 pounds and looked like he was on some serious steroids. JMO.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

We are going to be just fine at DL. At DE we have moved Willie Scott and Jacob Lattimer in to compete with the guys we have. We also have Maggitt still developing, on top of Rashawn Parker and Patrick Neal. We have also added Rony Nelson and seem to be in the process of adding a JUCO DL (Either the mystery recruit from Fullerton CC or Dancy). I think we are moving in the right direction here. Also at DT we have a lot on young talent and I really am not concerned at all with Walter Woods, Ruempolhamer, McDonough, etc.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am much more concerned with the situation at LB, in terms of depth, than I am at DL. We will be incredibly, incredibly young at LB.