Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

AAU/Recruiting Article

It's a Whole New Ballgame, and Maryland's Williams Isn't Playing - washingtonpost.com

There has been a lot of talk about doing things the "right way" lately, and here is an article about how tough it is featuring Gary Williams. It is very interesting in regard to DC Assault which feeds KSU a lot of players.

Part of me agrees with Gary, but part of me disagrees. That is the name of the game in major college recruiting now. If he just wants to coach and not deal with that he can do that at a mid-major. Interesting nonetheless.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: AAU/Recruiting Article

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    It's a Whole New Ballgame, and Maryland's Williams Isn't Playing - washingtonpost.com

There has been a lot of talk about doing things the "right way" lately, and here is an article about how tough it is featuring Gary Williams. It is very interesting in regard to DC Assault which feeds KSU a lot of players.

Part of me agrees with Gary, but part of me disagrees. That is the name of the game in major college recruiting now. If he just wants to coach and not deal with that he can do that at a mid-major. Interesting nonetheless.
    Good work on doing some research...Assuming the article is true. Should ISU model their program after KState? Is it something our fanbase can live with?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Good work on doing some research...Assuming the article is true. Should ISU model their program after KState? Is it something our fanbase can live with?

We had better change something.

I am not renewing bball tickets next year....I can put it towards football and attain better seats.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    We had better change something.

I am not renewing bball tickets next year....I can put it towards football and attain better seats.
    Sounds good, but you failed to even answer the question(s).

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

Sounds good, but you failed to even answer the question(s).

That is how apathetic I am to bball.

Just make changes/anything to get the program back on track.

Even KSU's model.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Guess what. Maryland fans aren't happy with what their program has done since winning the title. Props to Gary Williams for not sucking the teet of the jackasses that run these AAU programs, but it's just the nature of the game.

I wish recruiting was more honorable and nobel, but it's not and you have to be cutthroat to execute it well.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 212

I don't have a huge problem with what KSU did. It's within the rules, and Assistants recruit anyway. I thought that they just passed a regulation that forbids it however.

"I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice."

-Humpty

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 104

[QUOTE=kg-cyclone;1511431]Good work on doing some research...Assuming the article is true. Should ISU model their program after KState? Is it something our fanbase can live with?[/QUOTE]

Hell yes. It's not like they're murdering and raping. I can live with being a ranked team much better than I can live with losing records, no wins over ranked teams, and 0 post season appearances.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

Losing Gay frustrated Maryland fans, many of whom booed Gay when he played in an all-star game at Comcast Center.
    "He went through hell his senior year," Glick said. "Imagine if everywhere you went people booed and cursed you because you didn't go to a school. He was like, 'Why can't they be happy for me?' "
    Williams said losing Gay bothered him more than other recruiting setbacks because Gay had seemed perfect for his style of play. Hard feelings have lingered, several recruiting sources said, and Williams has recoiled from some elements of the AAU world ever since.
    This sounds like Harrison Barnes. He really can't figure out why people are not happy for him when he shunned his hometown team. I think these kids are put on such a high pedistal they can do anything and everyone will stilll like them.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with it. From an outsider's perspective it looks like they hired an AAU coach with close ties to a great program (DC Assault) and they periodically throw them a bone through speaking arrangements, appearances, shoe deal associations, etc. I don't like it and I don't like when they directly pay players and that can get the school in trouble.

I highly doubt KU fans feel like their national championships are tarnished because they hired Manning's and Miles' dads as director of basketball ops. I'm sure Bruce Weber felt the same way when they had the Illini trail of tears year where they lost a huge list of local prospects they were in on. Then they went and hired Tracy Miller (sp?) and now they have a top five class for 2010. Weber always talked about doing things the right way but when it came down to it he wanted to win and the easiest way to do that was to bring in some AAU connection guys.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Let me state that I am in no way condoning cheating, because that's certainly not the case, but as the NCAA has made clear, there is so much gray area and ways to work with these AAU programs to get these quality athletes, that it's almost crazy not to embrace what a lot of programs have chosen to do, and that is establish some type of arrangement or relationship with these AAU programs.

It sucks that it has to be like this and I think AAU and recruiting has become clouded in murkiness and shady dealings, but the fact is, the NCAA seems to be okay with most of this, so why should be against it?

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with it. From an outsider's perspective it looks like they hired an AAU coach with close ties to a great program (DC Assault) and they periodically throw them a bone through speaking arrangements, appearances, shoe deal associations, etc. I don't like it and I don't like when they directly pay players and that can get the school in trouble.

I highly doubt KU fans feel like their national championships are tarnished because they hired Manning's and Miles' dads as director of basketball ops. I'm sure Bruce Weber felt the same way when they had the Illini trail of tears year where they lost a huge list of local prospects they were in on. Then they went and hired Tracy Miller (sp?) and now they have a top five class for 2010. Weber always talked about doing things the right way but when it came down to it he wanted to win and the easiest way to do that was to bring in some AAU connection guys.
    You make a valid point, here is the thing...Why do it this way, when our pockets aren't deep enough anyway?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 507
    Given: 266

KState is a very extreme example. But yeah, of course we are jealous of their program right now. I am more jealous of the intensity and toughness they play with then their recruiting connections however.

High major basketball is a cut-throat game, you really have to do whatever you can within the rules to gain any advantage you can. We are playing the game (legally) also.... surely its not a coincidence that we hired TJ (a former AAU coach) who had formerly coached Brackins and Mike Taylor. Connections are just a huge part of the basketball recruiting game.

The whole thing is really shady though. I don't believe for a second that ISU was squeaky clean under LE, TF, or WM... but you have to be that way, and none of them ever got us in any trouble, which is the key.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60

I remember reading that article last year.

Gary Williams is a likely hall of fame coach, he coaches his alma mater, he won a national championship way back in 2002....and most Maryland fans wanted him fired the past few years. Crazy business.....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    KState is a very extreme example. But yeah, of course we are jealous of their program right now. I am more jealous of the intensity and toughness they play with then their recruiting connections however.

High major basketball is a cut-throat game, you really have to do whatever you can within the rules to gain any advantage you can. We are playing the game (legally) also.... surely its not a coincidence that we hired TJ (a former AAU coach) who had formerly coached Brackins and Mike Taylor. Connections are just a huge part of the basketball recruiting game.

The whole thing is really shady though. I don't believe for a second that ISU was squeaky clean under LE, TF, or WM... but you have to be that way, and none of them ever got us in any trouble, which is the key.
    Is it?