Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: West Ames

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

West Ames

The thread asking advice on apartments in West Ames got me thinking, what does everyone think of living out in West Ames? I had said that I didn't like it because it was too much of a liability if you like to go out on the weekends because you are so far out. Many said to use buses, but not many things go as planned when you have happy juice in your system and often you can miss the scheduled bus times or just plain lose track of time.

So I got this idea, with the growing amount of students living out in West Ames, would it be feasible for a bar or two to be established out here, kind of by West Side Pub or by the Bball facility? Kind of like a "Mini Campustown" for us out in West Ames. Would enough students out here be attracted to them vs going out to Campustown and risking a DUI or settling for staying on a friends couch? I for one think it would be pretty cool and convienent to have a party bar out here.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Re: West Ames

Bars aren't exactly raking in the money as it is, and one out there would probably flop as bad as the rest.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I don't get the whole too drunk to catch the bus thing. There are buses that come to and from Welch about every 15 minutes so its not like you have to memorize a time. Myself and my roommates have been very drunk a few times and were always able to walk down welch to the bus stop. Like I said in the previous thread, the only bad thing about living out here is when the buses stop running at 2:15 a.m. and you're left scrambling to find a place to stay. That sometimes is kind of fun though.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

More on topic though, I agree that putting a bar in out here probably wouldn't be economically feasible. It probably would have to be something more like what we already have in West Towne Pub.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    I don't get the whole too drunk to catch the bus thing. There are buses that come to and from Welch about every 15 minutes so its not like you have to memorize a time. Myself and my roommates have been very drunk a few times and were always able to walk down welch to the bus stop. Like I said in the previous thread, the only bad thing about living out here is when the buses stop running at 2:15 a.m. and you're left scrambling to find a place to stay. That sometimes is kind of fun though.
    ok ok, maybe I'm the minority on that. But maybe I should have said that is of inconvienence to catch the bus. At least I feel that way. While it may not be feasible to place a bar out here, would people who live out here be attracted to it if they happened to put a party bar out here? Hypothetically speaking now...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 73

A bar out there wouldn't make it.

Also, how in the hell do bars on Welch not make it? I don't understand. I think that I could run a pretty lucrative bar there. I may be way off base and not considering some costs associated but I know i drop a lot of money when I go to them.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

I live in West Ames, and I'm always excited about more businesses moving out here. I've never gone to West Town Pub for serious drinking, but I eat their occasionally and like to have a drink after work on the patio when the weather is nice. Anyone know how that place is doing financially? They have always had a pretty solid lunch crowd when I've been there.

I think you can gauge how well bars would do by looking at the other recreational businesses already there. How well is the new bowling alley? What about George's Pizza or Cafe Milo? There is certainly enough of a student population there if they fill all those apartments and townhouses.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post
    ok ok, maybe I'm the minority on that. But maybe I should have said that is of inconvienence to catch the bus. At least I feel that way. While it may not be feasible to place a bar out here, would people who live out here be attracted to it if they happened to put a party bar out here? Hypothetically speaking now...
    Maybe people from West Ames would go but no way in hell would anyone else go out there for one bar. More people would come into Campustown for numerous bars. When I lived in Campustown it was cheaper but I figured convenience of a two block walk and less time to do something stupid on a bus into the price. It was worth it to me and that isn't even counting something as meaningless as an easy walk to class. FWIW I think I walked to the bars more than class my last year in school. Is that good?

Last edited by Tre4ISU; 01-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A "party bar" would never make it out there because most of the people who enjoy that scene are already living near campus town. It would have to have something unique to bring people out there as well as appeal to the people living in the vicinity.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

When I lived out in West Ames, if we would go out on Welch, we used to get to the gas station before 2AM, grab some beer and whatever alcohol we could get for the money we had, and walk home. Walked through the baseball complex to State Avenue. There is a trail that comes out on State Avenue that cuts behind the new middle school. Its a little over a 2-mile walk, but well worth it if you take some alcohol along with you!

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    A bar out there wouldn't make it.

Also, how in the hell do bars on Welch not make it? I don't understand. I think that I could run a pretty lucrative bar there. I may be way off base and not considering some costs associated but I know i drop a lot of money when I go to them.
    I agree, I feel like I could run a good bar on Welch. Maybe after I graduate with a degree in business I will try to run a bar on Welch.

This brings me to another question, hypothetically speaking (again), if I were to open a bar in Ames, could I (as the bar owner), make the bar open to 18 or 19 year olds? Or is it a city law saying that I cannot?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree, I feel like I could run a good bar on Welch. Maybe after I graduate with a degree in business I will try to run a bar on Welch.

This brings me to another question, hypothetically speaking (again), if I were to open a bar in Ames, could I (as the bar owner), make the bar open to 18 or 19 year olds? Or is it a city law saying that I cannot?
    Pretty sure it is a city ordinance, otherwise every single bar on Welch would.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, Element does on Saturdays and I am sure that has to do with the fact that they can easily separate the bar so they don't serve alcohol where the <21 year olds are. I am pretty sure it is a city deal though and they get by because they can separate. Somewhere like Paddy's I am sure couldn't do it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand that. Probably just need to get in the habit of catching the bus like me. If there was a party bar out here we would probably hit it up for some pregaming then ride the bus to campustown to go to those bars.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    When I lived out in West Ames, if we would go out on Welch, we used to get to the gas station before 2AM, grab some beer and whatever alcohol we could get for the money we had, and walk home. Walked through the baseball complex to State Avenue. There is a trail that comes out on State Avenue that cuts behind the new middle school. Its a little over a 2-mile walk, but well worth it if you take some alcohol along with you!
    I always bring this idea up but whoever I'm with always rejects it. Something about it being freezing cold and there being a **** ton of snow on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    A "party bar" would never make it out there because most of the people who enjoy that scene are already living near campus town. It would have to have something unique to bring people out there as well as appeal to the people living in the vicinity.
    There are A LOT of students that live out here so it might be able to survive for a short time but it would be difficult to make any sort of profit for a long period.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    I always bring this idea up but whoever I'm with always rejects it. Something about it being freezing cold and there being a **** ton of snow on the ground.
    Yeah, its more of a summer idea. Fun as all hell tho. Some of the best moments I had in college came on the walk home.