Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Really?

I have never posted before, so ignore this if you choose. As an old clone I have hit this site for several years as a great source of ISU basketball information. I thank Chris for that and commend kg-clone and cysmydog for great insite. But now I have stop shaking my head and respond.

What happened here? When did some of you decide State was a basketball power? Are you kidding me with all this? Fire the coach? For what? Because you constantly over rate your own players and expect him to win championships because of it? ISU has had three good basketball teams in forty years. There is one mens athletic program at ISU that will consistantly compete at the top of the national scene, and it is not football or basketball. ISU basketball is a history of a few great players, some big upsets, and a fantastic college sports atmosphere. Embrace that.

The problem is not the coach, or the point guard, or the superstar. It is the constant over reaction to losses and unrealistic expectatons after wins. GM is a good coach and a good man. Support him. The players play for ISU, the state of Iowa, and for you. They are kids. Love em. Stop acting like it's something it's not. Just expressing your frustration? Find another way besides hurting the program. If you don't think all the crap posted on this site is doing that, then wake up. When you google Iowa State Cyclones you get here pretty quick. Think about it. People are watching.

I assume this site was formed as an electronic gathering place for a nation wide community of Cyclone fans. It is becoming destructive to the very programs it is meant to support. We are not Kansas. We are not Texas. Never will be, and that's a good thing. They are not us either. Having pride in who you are is not settling. It is living.

Stop already. Please.

jmo
    GO CLONES!

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 301

Re: Really?

Best post I've read in a very long time

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

Yes, lets always just expect mediocrity and live with the fact that ISU will never be anything more than mediocre.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Welcome aboard.

Great initial post.

Prepare to be shredded.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

If you're willing to accept mediocrity (well, we're not even mediocre at this point), that's fine. Some of us are not.

When Pollard came in he told fans to expect bigger things and asked fans to do more. Fans have responded and the MBB program has not. And not only has it not responded, it's not getting better.

If ripping on the fans makes you feel good, have at it. This is not a fan problem, it's a ISU MBB problem.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

If we are to expect being mediocre, I expect to be charged at that level.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ISU MBB is nothing more than an entertainment product. So if this is all we're to expect from the product, what is the purpose of financially supporting it? Why should fans be paying more for less?

If I know a movie is going to be a crapper, I'm not gonna buy a ticket and sit through it. ISU MBB for most purposes, can be looked at in the same manner.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowbackClone View Post
    I have never posted before, so ignore this if you choose. As an old clone I have hit this site for several years as a great source of ISU basketball information. I thank Chris for that and commend kg-clone and cysmydog for great insite. But now I have stop shaking my head and respond.

What happened here? When did some of you decide State was a basketball power? Are you kidding me with all this? Fire the coach? For what? Because you constantly over rate your own players and expect him to win championships because of it? ISU has had three good basketball teams in forty years. There is one mens athletic program at ISU that will consistantly compete at the top of the national scene, and it is not football or basketball. ISU basketball is a history of a few great players, some big upsets, and a fantastic college sports atmosphere. Embrace that.

The problem is not the coach, or the point guard, or the superstar. It is the constant over reaction to losses and unrealistic expectatons after wins. GM is a good coach and a good man. Support him. The players play for ISU, the state of Iowa, and for you. They are kids. Love em. Stop acting like it's something it's not. Just expressing your frustration? Find another way besides hurting the program. If you don't think all the crap posted on this site is doing that, then wake up. When you google Iowa State Cyclones you get here pretty quick. Think about it. People are watching.

I assume this site was formed as an electronic gathering place for a nation wide community of Cyclone fans. It is becoming destructive to the very programs it is meant to support. We are not Kansas. We are not Texas. Never will be, and that's a good thing. They are not us either. Having pride in who you are is not settling. It is living.

Stop already. Please.

jmo
    GO CLONES!
    That is the sum total of your argument? We suck at ISU, so accept the mediocrity?

Then why hire Pollard? Why fire DMac? Why fire WMorgan?

To think it is the fans that are "destructive" to the program is laughable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you think our individual players are overrated, then you clearly have not seen them play. We have more talent individually than we've had in a long time. Things just aren't clicking for whatever reason.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 7

I completely agree with the op. Nothing wrong with wanting more but your just tearing down the coaches and and players, then again this is the internet and everyone seems to think that this is acceptable.

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Yes, lets always just expect mediocrity and live with the fact that ISU will never be anything more than mediocre.
    He isn't saying not to have high expectations.... is it possible that outside of Brackins and Gilstrap, that the team isn't as talented as we originally thought??? Have you ever watched a 1A team play? Their fans always think they can compete with 3A-4A teams... and yes they might have a couple players good enough to play with those teams... but realistically as a team they just don't have the overall talent no matter how good the coach is... I think we as fans of ISU tend to have the same bias

Commitment To Excellence

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    If you think our individual players are overrated, then you clearly have not seen them play. We have more talent individually than we've had in a long time. Things just aren't clicking for whatever reason.
    Yes in Brackins and Gilstrap... Name one other player that would start on another Big 12 team

Commitment To Excellence

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones01 View Post
    Best post I've read in a very long time

Not the worst post but seriously....its not settling its living?

Give me a break. People like this guy who just want to go to Hilton sit on their hands and watch basketball need to follow their local high school team. You play to win the game, your goal is post season play, if we cant hold coaches and administration to high standards of competition and play then why even put a team on the court.

I want a team with desire and a want and will to win...if you have that then special things happen and I haven't seen it lately.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have no problem with the players or coached. All i ask for is some fire out of Mcd. If he shows fire, then the team will react to that and things good chance dramatically for the good

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CP44 View Post
    He isn't saying not to have high expectations.... is it possible that outside of Brackins and Gilstrap, that the team isn't as talented as we originally thought??? Have you ever watched a 1A team play? Their fans always think they can compete with 3A-4A teams... and yes they might have a couple players good enough to play with those teams... but realistically as a team they just don't have the overall talent no matter how good the coach is... I think we as fans of ISU tend to have the same bias
    This team has actually proven this year when they want to, they can play with the best of 'em. Sad fact, they don't always exert the force necessary to compete. Last night was yet another example in a long, long list of games ISU absolutely should have won, played like they wanted to for a small portion of it but the majority of the game they played poorly and sealed their fate.

If we get beat because the other team/coach is simply better than we are and we still give a 100% effort - that I can absolutely live with. Consistently underperforming is not something I'm ok with as a fan.