Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Huggins on Rome

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 39,118, Level: 61
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,617
    Points
    39,118
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

    Huggins on Rome

    made an interesting statement. It's easier to come in and rebuild
    with schollies than without. Just got me thinking on some of Macs
    early reaches. MacIntosh(talent), Dunson(academics), the post from Waverly,
    and some others I can't currently think of.

    Just thinking that if Taylor and the 2 Johnsons would of been our first class
    Cory may have found a niche and we'd of had spots for some quality transfers
    down the road.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    It's easier to come in and rebuild
    with schollies than without.
    Earth shattering stuff from the Huggy-Bear.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 187,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,291
    Points
    187,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    For him it is when he travels the country on his year off, having no rules to follow, building a team for when he gets hired.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 39,118, Level: 61
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,617
    Points
    39,118
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    actually it's a choice between getting players to stay or being able to
    have the schollies to reload. Huggie didn't have the open year before he went to WVa. We were worried about losing players that weren't committed to the new coach.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 25,609, Level: 49
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    25,609
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    kingcy, you have to be the most bitter Cyclone basketball fan on earth. Have you put yourself in Huggins' shoes? The man was fired, received a settlement, and had no job prospects at all. Was he supposed to sit at a bar and drink or sit at home and pout? Hell no! Huggins did what all winners do. He picked his butt up off the ground and went to work even though he had no idea where or if he even had a future in coaching. I cannot wait to read what you write if Larry Eustacy, Mark Mangino, Mike Leach, or Jim Leavitt find big time success in the next few years.


    Last edited by iowa_wildcat; 01-28-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 253,073, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,550
    Points
    253,073
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    kingcy, you have to be the most bitter Cyclone basketball fan on earth. Have you put yourself in Huggins' shoes? The man was fired, received a settlement, and had no job prospects at all. Was he supposed to sit at a bar and drink or sit at home and pout? Hell no! Huggins did what all winners do. He picked his butt up off the ground and went to work even though he had no idea where or if he even had a future in coaching. I cannot wait to read what you write if Larry Eustacy, Mark Mangino, Mike Leach, or Jim Leavitt find big time success in the next few years.
    What you both said is entirely true. Why does that make him bitter? It's not like he's the first person to say it, it was all over the place when he had his year off.




  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 187,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,291
    Points
    187,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    kingcy, you have to be the most bitter Cyclone basketball fan on earth..
    Why is that bitter? It is pretty much fact on what he did. He knew he was going to get a job. He had a leg up on other coachs for doing what he did. It made it eaiser for him to build a team because he had players commited to him, not a team. The man is a good coach. What am I so bitter about anyway?


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  8. #8
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Why is that bitter? It is pretty much fact on what he did. He knew he was going to get a job. He had a leg up on other coachs for doing what he did. It made it eaiser for him to build a team because he had players commited to him, not a team. The man is a good coach. What am I so bitter about anyway?
    He did that at Kansas St, but that has nothing to do with his success at West Virginia



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 187,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,291
    Points
    187,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    He did that at Kansas St, but that has nothing to do with his success at West Virginia
    Yes I know.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 25,609, Level: 49
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    25,609
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    So maybe I was having an off day and kingcy was not bitter.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 24,935, Level: 48
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,259
    Points
    24,935
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 33

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL WITH MCDERMOTT - WE'RE ONLY IN YEAR 4!!!!!



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,469, Level: 77
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,469
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Wow, in the span of time that McD has been here, Huggy Bear has essentially rebuilt two programs. Damn.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 94,602, Level: 95
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,803
    Points
    94,602
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 377

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    I'm not sure of your point, but I wouldn't listen to Huggins about anything. Because:
    1. Almost nobody on his Cincinnati teams sniffed a degree, which doesn't bother me, but if you're going that route in college BB, you might want to reach the Final Four more than once in a 10-year span.
    2. He whined about being a 2 seed in 2000 and he had a legitimate beef because the tournament chairman gaffed during the post-selection interview by saying "We based it on who was most likely to make a serious run" (the decision to drop Cincy from 1 to 2 was partly because they got bounced in Round 1 of the conference tournament, but partly because of Kelvin Martin's injury) ... Huggins whined (with good reason) that they were being penalized because UC was probably a good 1-seed candidate, but the reason the committee dropped them down a line seemed to ignore their body of work that season. HOWEVER All Huggins had to say was, "we probably deserved a top seed as much as anyone, but this is the situation, and we'll have to prove it on the court." And then do it. Of course, they didn't Self's Tulsa team beat 'em in the second round. Served him right.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 85,096, Level: 90
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,104
    Points
    85,096
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Wow, in the span of time that McD has been here, Huggy Bear has essentially rebuilt two programs. Damn.
    how long are his stints at schools? how many times has he been in trouble or gotten a school in problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I'm not sure of your point, but I wouldn't listen to Huggins about anything. Because:
    1. Almost nobody on his Cincinnati teams sniffed a degree, which doesn't bother me, but if you're going that route in college BB, you might want to reach the Final Four more than once in a 10-year span.
    2. He whined about being a 2 seed in 2000 and he had a legitimate beef because the tournament chairman gaffed during the post-selection interview by saying "We based it on who was most likely to make a serious run" (the decision to drop Cincy from 1 to 2 was partly because they got bounced in Round 1 of the conference tournament, but partly because of Kelvin Martin's injury) ... Huggins whined (with good reason) that they were being penalized because UC was probably a good 1-seed candidate, but the reason the committee dropped them down a line seemed to ignore their body of work that season. HOWEVER All Huggins had to say was, "we probably deserved a top seed as much as anyone, but this is the situation, and we'll have to prove it on the court." And then do it. Of course, they didn't Self's Tulsa team beat 'em in the second round. Served him right.
    This. Huggins is a crook and just another Calipari...sick of these scumbags in college basketball, it's really turning me away from the sport...does anyone do things the RIGHT way anymore?


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 29,581, Level: 52
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,313
    Points
    29,581
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Huggins on Rome

    Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Wow, in the span of time that McD has been here, Huggy Bear has essentially rebuilt two programs. Damn.
    Huggy didn't rebuild WVU, John Beilein left that program in real good shape for Huggy.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM