The ISU world if BVD were still in charge.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The ISU world if BVD were still in charge.

The announcement of the new record in season ticket sales FIVE months prior to the start of the football season got me to thinking about what the ISU athletic department would look like today had BVD been retained. Perhaps something as follows:

1. Dan McCarney welcomed the start of spring practice for the '07 ISU FB team with the following words "While we were all disappointed with our 4-8 mark last fall we are all real real excited about the start of spring practice. I don't like missing out on bowl championships, it bothers me and all of my staff as well. I am happy to say that my entire staff is intact for the second year in a row and that is something we'll build off of. We're gonna do all that we can to bring back the pride and respect that we established in this program in the short time since we took over". In a related note, Bruce Van De Velde announced that season ticket prices will remain the same for the 3rd year in a row and that he is really hoping that Cyclone fans will respond and get season ticket sales over the 22,500 mark.
    2. Bruce Van De Velde announced that he had extended Wayne Morgan's contract for an additional two years after the Cyclones finished 16-14 for the second consecutive year. In announcing the extension Van De Velde said "I think stability in a program is important and I wanted to reward Wayne for his hard work in a difficult season after losing his two best players to the NBA".
    3. Bruce Van De Velde announced that there are currently no plans for the renovation of either Jack Trice Stadium or Hilton Coliseum: "Once again we've balanced our budget and our facilities continue to serve our fan base quite well. Things like ring banners and new seats are nice, but we have the most vocal fan base in the Big Twelve. While I've never directly asked the fans what types of improvements they would like to see, I think our basketball season attendance average of 9,500 fans for 7th place in the Big Twelve speaks highly of the regard that our fans have for the facilities."
    4. Van De Velde extended his congratulations to native son Cael Sanderson who led the cross state rival Iowa Hawkeyes to a second place finish in the national wrestling championship. He noted that he is not disappointed with ISU's 8th place finish under Bobby Douglas and that Douglas would receive an extension to his contract.

Leadership matters. People respond to great leaders and people are responding to all that JP continues to do for ISU athletics. Congratulations Cyclone fans on setting another season ticket record for sales in MARCH! Here's to 10,000 more season ticket sales for Gene Chizik's debut season at ISU.

URBCLONE

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 389

Re: The ISU world if BVD were still in charge.

Good post...that was fun to read!

I just hope you don't get burned by people for "living in the past" and "not being able to move on" like some others have here.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,097
    Given: 924

While these are worst case scenarios, thanks for an interesting read. BVD is gone, so we should focus on the future!

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Kinda weird to think about what things might have been like if it were not for one person, Jamie Pollard.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    While these are worst case scenarios, thanks for an interesting read. BVD is gone, so we should focus on the future!
    I hear you. I really enjoy history and I know that one of the big hits in the history world are counterfactuals or what if scenarios. For instance, what if JFK had not been assassinated? Just thought it would be fun to think about what Cyclone athletics might look like had GG not put JP in charge.

PS. I tried to base some of this on comments that BVD and others made during their tenure at ISU.

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thinking about how things could be helps you appreciate how things really are a lot of the time.

Unless you're a hawkeye basketball fan thinking you could have Tom Davis taking you to sweet 16's every few years, but instead you have no coach, and no interest from your former assistant and number one priority.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    I hear you. I really enjoy history and I know that one of the big hits in the history world are counterfactuals or what if scenarios. For instance, what if JFK had not been assassinated? Just thought it would be fun to think about what Cyclone athletics might look like had GG not put JP in charge.

PS. I tried to base some of this on comments that BVD and others made during their tenure at ISU.

Scary because that DOES sound like BVD. I once walked around with my boss and BVD around the practice facility while it was in the final stages of construction. We walked and talked for an hour discussing the project and BVD never once introduced himself to me.

@RandomGeoFacts

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I would rather have dream about a Naked Lee Corso with the USC Trojan Helmet chasing Dickie V as he is sceaming Baby!

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Think about this:

Where would Cyclone basketball be today if Adam Haluska had not turned to the dark side?

We certainly would have had better seasons over the last two years. We may have even had some postseason success. Wayne Morgan might have had more NCAA tournament wins by now than any other coach in the state.

If Haluska had stayed, ISU would be more successful and may have outperformed all other schools. Its then likely, that Wayne Morgan would still be the head coach.

While over at EIU, they would not have had as good a season last year and would likely have fired Alford in 2006. Who would be his replacement? Greg McDermott.

So, if Haluska had stayed at ISU, our coach would be Wayne Morgan and the coach at EIU would now be McDermott. Thank you, Adam.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Scary because that DOES sound like BVD. I once walked around with my boss and BVD around the practice facility while it was in the final stages of construction. We walked and talked for an hour discussing the project and BVD never once introduced himself to me.
    Man if that doesn't bring back some bad memories of the whole replacing LE fiasco. I particularly enjoyed the part where he locked all of the assistant coaches out of the facility for two weeks only to offer one of them the job two weeks later.

URBCLONE

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rage On View Post
    Think about this:

Where would Cyclone basketball be today if Adam Haluska had not turned to the dark side?

We certainly would have had better seasons over the last two years. We may have even had some postseason success. Wayne Morgan might have had more NCAA tournament wins by now than any other coach in the state.

If Haluska had stayed, ISU would be more successful and may have outperformed all other schools. Its then likely, that Wayne Morgan would still be the head coach.

While over at EIU, they would not have had as good a season last year and would likely have fired Alford in 2006. Who would be his replacement? Greg McDermott.

So, if Haluska had stayed at ISU, our coach would be Wayne Morgan and the coach at EIU would now be McDermott. Thank you, Adam.

He wouldn't have fit in with CS and WB. This would have caused him not to accell and I believe JP didn't like WM beyond the court so he might have still be fired.

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,028
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Agreed. I think the post isn't dwelling on the past, but showing how much we appreciate the changes that have been made and look forward to the increased successes resulting from the changes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 609

Adam was an honorable mention 5th year All American. Mr Flopper.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

While that does sound like some BVD type of stuff, McCarney has been on the hot seat before with Bruce so it's still possibly that we might have fired Mac by now but getting a coach like Chizik wouldn't have happened.

Wayne Morgan, he might have been gone this spring after another underachieving season but I think BVD would have had a hard time firing him after 3 years. This was probably Pollard's boldest move so far I think but glad we did it now and not this year and had to fight Iowa for McDermott.

I doubt they would have made the switch to Cael but some folks close to the wrestling program that I know think Cael is pretty loyal to ISU and would have stayed at ISU since they already made it known he would eventually become the head coach.

And the facility improvements, now way Bruce could think that up and find the funds to pull it off. But I think he already had some kind of Hilton renovations in the works right before he left if I remember. Bruce and the donors were never on the same page and Bruce was not very innovative of finding ways to raise money or get people excited enough to give more to the program.

I'm very happy with Pollard and glad we have him. I was never a big fan of Bruce, especially after how he handled the Eustachy situation and also knowing of a run-in with one of my friends. He called my friend out of the stands at a soccer game and chewed him out over a situation where his wife thought she overheard them talking bad about Bruce and the conversation she heard had nothing to do with him at all. Completely uncalled for and classless thing to do when he didn't have any proof and just more evidence to back why he was out of his league running a Big 12 Athletic department when he couldn't even go out in public or present something at a game without getting paranoid.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I'm very happy with Pollard and glad we have him. I was never a big fan of Bruce, especially after how he handled the Eustachy situation .
    Contrast the handling of the LE situation with that of finding WM's replacement and DM's replacement. Two weeks of drama with a search committee and at least one public rejection of ISU vs. a quiet and efficient search conducted by one man.

URBCLONE