Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hawaii Vacation

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii this April. We would like to stay on O'ahu and Maui, and we will be there for a week. Does anyone have any experience with Hawaiian vacations that they could share?

Also, my boss recommended a travel agent that he is family friends with. I have never used a travel agent as I like to think I am pretty computer, and discount savvy. Looking over the itinerary she sent us, I think I could easily re-create what she is offering and then I wouldn't have to pay her. Does anyone have experience with using travel agents?

Thumbs Up

Re: Hawaii Vacation

I've been to both Islands. Besides it raining for about an hour everyday it was pretty sweet. Lots to do in Oahu and Maui is made for chilling on the beach.

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Rookie
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That was pretty much the plan for Maui. Probably go on a snorkeling trip one day while we are there. Just hoping for anything that we MUST see or do on either island, and advice on travel agents. Thanks in advance!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Clones33 View Post
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii this April. We would like to stay on O'ahu and Maui, and we will be there for a week. Does anyone have any experience with Hawaiian vacations that they could share?

Also, my boss recommended a travel agent that he is family friends with. I have never used a travel agent as I like to think I am pretty computer, and discount savvy. Looking over the itinerary she sent us, I think I could easily re-create what she is offering and then I wouldn't have to pay her. Does anyone have experience with using travel agents?
    I've been to all the islands and Maui is our favorite with the big island a close second. We enjoy the Wailea area on Maui best and it is consider the dry side of Maui. You'll find much to do there. If you decide to go to the top of Haleakala to see the sun rise, go your first day or two as your body is still ready to get up at 4 in the morning Hawaii time.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure one of these is NOT driving to Hana. Take a tour bus (van) there instead.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
    Groucho Marx

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes. We are thinking about doing Hawaii for our 10yr anniversary

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Torks Pub View Post
    Whatever you decide to do, make sure one of these is NOT driving to Hana. Take a tour bus (van) there instead.

You talking Hanauma Bay? That place was pretty sweet.... definitly could see why you wouldn't drive there though. We had a van come pick us up, they had all our snorkal equipment with them - Sure looked like it beat the hell out of driving yourself there

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    You talking Hanauma Bay? That place was pretty sweet.... definitly could see why you wouldn't drive there though. We had a van come pick us up, they had all our snorkal equipment with them - Sure looked like it beat the hell out of driving yourself there
    No, I meant Hana on Maui where Lindberg is buried and where the seven pools are. A brutal road that requires motion sickness medicine for even the toughest traveller.

Hanauma Bay is great for snorkeling though, but often it's crowded.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
    Groucho Marx

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,796
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 46

Definitely go check out what the travel agent can do. There's nothing that says you have to use them. The couple of times we've done big vacations to the Islands, I just came in with all the prices and deals I had found. The agent we used was able to beat them or give us something extra in the package that wasn't in what we had found on our own. At the end of the day, it's just another avenue to try, it's no money out of your pocket.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Clones33 View Post

Travel agents usually do not add to the overall cost of the trip, I would use an expert, and get travel insurance.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

My wife and I have been to Maui 3 times and Oahu once. Maui fits our personality better and we really didn't like Oahu much.

On Maui, we've always rented a beach front condo unit rather than use the hotels. You can stay for relatively cheap that way and still have access to the beaches such as Kaanapali beach.

If you are looking for a cool sailing adventure, check out Paragon. We did the Sunset Cruise with them and liked it so much that we did the Lanai Snorkel Cruise as well. The cool thing about Paragon is they only take about 12 people aboard a rather small (and fast) cat. If there is a breeze, they do sail and they have fun doing it! We were hitting 22 knots on the Sunset Cruise. It was a great time. A bottlenose Dolphin about landed in the boat on the way to Lanai. Pretty cool to see.

The Maui Beaches and laid back way of life is what brings us back. There are plenty of touristy things as well. You could easily spend two weeks doing fun things.

PM me if you are interested in something specific. We've done a lot of things there.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Torks Pub View Post
    No, I meant Hana on Maui where Lindberg is buried and where the seven pools are. A brutal road that requires motion sickness medicine for even the toughest traveller.

Hanauma Bay is great for snorkeling though, but often it's crowded.
    I would first suggest that you cancel Ohau if you still can - its just Chicago with warmer water if you stay in town.

Maui on the other hand may be the best place on earth. I disagree with Torks, we drove the road to Hana and had a great time. Watch for signs for hiking trails up to waterfalls and such , and at the pools hike up to see the big falls, its quite the site.

We were going ot snorkel 1 time and ended up doing it 3 mornings. It was great, we saw sea turtles up close and personal at ... I'm forgetting the name, the "black cliffs" or something like that. If you're brave you can jump off the small cliff into the water. Good times.

The only part we were unimpressed with was the plantation. We should have took the helicopter tour or gone snokeling on a boat trip out to on of the bays.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Hawaii Activities - Hawaii tours, Things to do in Hawaii, attractions, adventures, and activity planning. is a good place to book some things do do while there. Maui is awesome. The best place to stay is around the Kaanapali area. Right south of there is Lahaina which has a ton of local shops and food along with things like dinner cruises and stuff.

This is where we stayed and the rooms are basically like condos: ResortQuest Hawaii is now Aston Hotels & Resorts ~ Maui-ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores separate bedroom with a living room area and kitchen.

I could write in a lot of detail all the stuff to do on Maui but would make a very lengthy writeup. I'd love to go back as I could easily make another whole week of things to do there.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

looked it up - Black Rock beach is the name of it.

most of the beaches have public access, although you kinda have to look around to find it sometimes. Basically you're on vacation, just walk in and act like you belong

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I went with my wife for our honeymoon. Certainly there are plenty of beaches where you can sit back and relax. We enjoyed getting out and doing things and mixed it in with our beach time.

Snorkeling was definitely my favorite. We only were going to do it one morning and ended up going out 2 more times. You could go out with a tour group, but I just went to the local mall and rented equipment for like $5. They will let you know the good places to go are and its much more intimate then going out with 20 or so people. Saw dolphins, sea turtles, all kinds of fish. It was really fun and if I go back would like to try scuba diving.

I also drove the road to HANA, and I really liked it. Definitely can be a white knuckle drive if your not comfortable with hairpin turns and long drops off on side of the road, but it didn't bother me, just take your time. Opened up the convertible roof and enjoyed nature, it was really awesome. Tons of waterfalls, plants, flowers, eventually ending up at the 7 pools at the end.

Went to the summit of Haleakala, which was neat if your into sightseeing. Saw sunrise over the ocean. You can take bus up early (like 3am) and ride a bike back down after sunrise, which alot of people did, but we drove. We went in June, it was only at 40F on the summit, but the clearest night sky I have ever seen.

Had a Luau in Lahiana (a more "commercialized" city) too which was fun. Basically, if you want to take it easy and relax, or get out and do things, Maui's got it all. Oh yeah, and tell your friends/family not to call. I was getting phonecalls at 4 in the morning from people in Iowa wanting to know how things are going. maybe they didn't realize the 5 hour time difference, duh!

Last edited by BigDISU1; 01-27-2010 at 03:23 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

I loved Oahu.... North Shore that is. Turtle Bay is a graet resort up there. If you are going in the next month or two you will have a good chance to see one of natures greatest shows, winter surf on the North Shore. I didn't find Honolulu that great. Pearl Harbor is a must see. Visiting the pineapple plantations was kind of cool as well. Whatever you do, stay away from the West side north of Pearl. Haoles aren't welcome there.

As far as Maui goes, I agree with the condo comment. I loved the seven pools. The drive is pretty tough, but the scenery is awesome. Lush jungles and waterfall the whole way on one side with the Ocean on the other. If you are a pet person, one quirky thing you can do is buy a sack lunch on one end of the road to Hana and they will lend you a dog for the day. You simply drop him off at their other store on the other side of Hana. Great if you have kids. Fun time swimming and cliff diving at the seven pools. Other than that, the volcano is a top site, snorkeling at Molokini is fun, whale watching, and Honalua bay are things I would recommend on Maui. If there is a big swell coming in, there is a place on the North side of the island called Peahi (or Jaws) that is one of the biggest waves on the planet. Oh, the Old Lahaina Luau is well worth the money.