Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 287

Toyota-Ouch!

This could hurt a little. Includes Camry and Corolla.

Toyota temporarily stops selling eight models covered by recall - latimes.com

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Toyota-Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    This could hurt a little. Includes Camry and Corolla.

Toyota temporarily stops selling eight models covered by recall - latimes.com
    If I was Mary Tirrell I would be a little nervous about having a job in the near future. I believe Toyota of Des Moines is writing his paychecks and they are obviously going to take a huge hit because of this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hursts View Post
    If I was Mary Tirrell I would be a little nervous about having a job in the near future. I believe Toyota of Des Moines is writing his paychecks and they are obviously going to take a huge hit because of this.
    As I said in another thread that I left, Toyota has some major issues coming down the pike and it won't be pretty. The imports are finally getting their due press. They are hemorrhaging and don't seem to know how to fix it. The more this stuff gets leaked the more people see what some of us have known for a couple years.

Chad

Last edited by cmhawks99; 01-26-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    As I said in another thread that I left Toyota has some major issues coming down the pike and it won't be pretty. The imports are finally getting their dues press. They are hemorrhaging and don't seem to know how to fix it. The more this stuff gets leaked the more people see what some of us have know for a couple years.

Chad
    You are a little biased working for Ford...

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is an article my owner emailed us awhile back. I listed the author, but I don't know where it came from. If it is a copyright deal please forgive me and take it down. Thought some of you would find it interesting, and of course it's an opinion piece to a degree, but from someone in the industry that has some know how.

Chad

PS...............its long, but in the 1st couple paragraphs you'll get the gest of it.

Three Troubled Brands: Shocks Linger in the Aftermath of the Detroit Auto Show.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. Having had time to reflect on what went on at Cobo Hall last week, its clear to me that some brands are in more trouble than even they might think. It was stunning to me that three brands in particular, Honda, Toyota and BMW, are reeling, so much so that their swoon - and the ascendance of certain rivals - could dramatically alter the North American automotive market permanently.
    Japan Inc.s star automakers - the same two car companies that consumed vast swaths of the U.S. market virtually unimpeded over the last three decades are now struggling, and its almost hard to fathom just how quickly theyve lost their way.
    In Toyotas case, their relentless obsession to be the biggest, baddest car company on the planet has cost them dearly. Too many plants were built, which led to the company having too much capacity on hand, and in the process of doing that they took their collective eyes off of the ball, which led to an undeniable slip in quality, heretofore their Holy Grail, and the principle raison detre for the company. And remember, all of this was undertaken in the quest to unseat General Motors as the worlds biggest automaker. Sounds wildly misguided and painfully irrelevant right about now, doesnt it?

But theres more to Toyotas slide than the above-mentioned laundry list of reasons. The fact of the matter is that the company that thrived on being the quiet but strong and formidable No. 2 absolutely sucks at being No. 1. Theyre so bad at it in fact that theyve completely lost their mojo.

In the old days Toyota could get by with their blandtastic transportation devices because they smugly knew that their customers would go along to get along with that style of detached motoring, because their customers also knew that nothing went wrong with their vehicles, ever. And that was plenty good enough.
    Now in the midst of a relentless series of recalls, that ol Toyota quality magic has been blown to smithereens, and their reputation is in tatters. And amazingly enough consumers have quickly gotten the message that there are other automakers out there delivering the kind of quality numbers that used to be exclusively associated with Toyota.

And now that this has happened, Toyota has begun questioning everything they do with the kind of public hand-wringing that is painful to watch, because its clear they dont really get it, no matter how well-intentioned their public self-flagellation is.
    Do they make bland vehicles? Absolutely. And that didnt used to be a problem. But in todays cutthroat market it is a huge problem for Toyota because to the consumer if the quality is comparable, then all things being equal they will naturally gravitate toward style and appealing design, and Toyota is nowhere when it comes to those factors. As in not even close.

But while Toyota is doing its corporate navel-gazing and trying to figure out how to become more hip in a world that has been basically turned upside down on top of them, the new Korean Hyundai-Kia juggernaut is threatening to blow right by them. The Koreans have discovered that great design and excellent driving dynamics are just as essential to success as quality and all-encompassing warranties, and theyre going to take that all the way to the bank with ever-increasing levels of market share and ever-growing conquest sales right out of Toyotas - and Hondas - hide.
    And its not going to be pretty for Toyota, because now more than ever this business doesnt take too kindly to car companies trying to play catch-up.

The FT-CH Concept that Toyota unveiled at Cobo Hall was really good, as I mentioned last week. But the deeper issues for Toyota are the kind that cant be righted overnight. How does a company founded on the glories of assembly quality reinvent itself to be more? How does a company grown set in its ways take the road never traveled before and come out the other side more adventurous and bold? How does a company fundamentally opposed to risk-taking hang their collective ***** out in the breeze and aspire to greatness, on all levels?

And what about Honda? Here is a company that was founded on risk-taking and pushing the envelope by a gifted engineer who believed in the enduring strengths of solid, reliable and good performing engines. It wasnt the Honda Quality Company, or the Honda Transportation Company, it was the Honda Motor Company, a bold, competitive enterprise that reveled in innovation and proved its competence and technical acumen on racetracks the world over.

This was the Japanese automobile company that was crawling with enthusiasts - and the absolute antithesis of what Toyota stood for - the one that marched to a different drummer and awed its competitors and buyers alike with a series of vehicles that bristled with creativity, vision and an unbridled sense of how it was supposed to be.

But that wasnt the car company on display at Cobo Hall last week. No, the Honda I witnessed at the Detroit Auto Show was barely recognizable, a lurid mash-up of reduced expectations, abominable design, paunchy, overweight and miserable excuses for new (the horrendous Honda Crosstour and Acura ZDX being egregious examples No. 1 & 2), the stunningly bad (the entire Acura lineup is a living and breathing class on how not to design cars), and a flat-out blown opportunity, the frighteningly mediocre and wildly underwhelming Honda CR-Z.

What happened? How can a car company with such a glorious history and pedigree drive it off into a ditch so convincingly? How can a company that was so out front of everyone else in terms of engineering-in responsiveness and fun-to-drive into their vehicles end-up with a product lineup thats so relentlessly bland and un-Honda-like that its just flat-out shocking?

We all saw this coming, of course. When the brilliantly balanced and exquisitely executed S2000 sports car was put out to pasture with no replacement you just knew that there was an ill-wind blowing at Honda headquarters. In the old days that never would have been allowed to happen, and to me it signaled a fundamental lack of understanding, or worse, a growing chorus of it doesnt matter from a car company that should damn well know better.

There are some signs of life at Honda with the recent regime change, but then again theyre going to have to prove to me and to its legions of fans out there in Consumer Land that they not only get it, but that theyre going to get back to what they do best, and that is to build some of the best and most desirable mainstream cars available in the world.

Until that time I guess were stuck with exactly one vehicle from Honda the Fit that at least reminds us somewhat of what theyre capable of doing. Not Good.

And then theres BMW. Speaking of driving it off into a ditch, BMW is now two car companies diametrically opposed to each other. Theres the old BMW that graces us with the quintessential all-around enthusiast machine - the magnificent 3 Series - and, at least some of their M machines (only a few of which can be considered desirable), and then theres the rest of the company, or, as I like to call it, BMW Heavy which specializes in overdone, overwrought land cruisers (X6, 5GT and other assorted crossover-SUVs) that are about as far away as you can get from the concept of the Ultimate Driving Machine.

In BMWs case I dont have to ask what happened. You could see this coming ten years ago, when I started this publication. It was right around then that the German automakers led by Mercedes and BMW launched a technological arms race that operated under the assumption that the more technology, the better, with vehicle mass and common sense be damned.

Combine that attitude with the fact that those two automakers felt compelled to chase every possible niche both real and imagined on the odd chance that they might actually get a leg up on their rival somehow, and the scenario grew exponentially. And then add in a huge dollop of hubris for good measure, oh, and then let the Bangle-led design era trundle along unfettered until it ran completely amuck and you have a recipe for complete disaster.

Now, we have BMW Heavy a purveyor of 5,000+ lb. people movers that have little rhyme or reason in the overall scheme of things. Add in M versions of some of those same vehicles, and you increase the hurl factor by about a 100.

Walking around the BMW display at Cobo was a little frightening, no, make that a lot frightening. All the accoutrements were there, the sleek display with cool graphics - the overall look and feel of a BMW display that youd expect to see at an auto show - but it was as if a cruel plot had been unleashed overnight and the BMW vehicles at least the vehicles youd expect from BMW were nowhere to be found, instead replaced by a posse of lumbering behemoths that could exist quite nicely as the Official Vehicles of Americas Biggest Loser.

It was a real eye-opener, to say the least.

In the Aftermath of the Detroit Auto Show what struck me the most was that three brands BMW, Honda and Toyota brands that had formerly had their proverbial **** together, had all gotten completely off track, displaying in varying degrees an ugly combination of delusional and wrong-headed thinking and utter cluelessness that left me with the stark realization that they had completely forgotten what they stood for, and had no idea what to do or where to go next.

Oh, what a world, what a world, as the Wicked Witch of the West so eloquently put it.

Thats all I got.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    You are a little biased working for Ford...

Bob,

We are all biased, only a scant few can even admit it, and even fewer attempt to do anything about it. Most just deny it, and pretend away. I am biased. I'm also a realist and I look at all the info. This is some good info here. Also jives with what I said before.

Keep in mind I didn't make it up, and anyone driving an important is biased as well, anything else?

Chad

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 70

Is it really that bad?

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    Bob,

We are all biased, only a scant few can even admit it, and even fewer attempt to do anything about it. Most just deny it, and pretend away. I am biased. I'm also a realist and I look at all the info. This is some good info here. Also jives with what I said before.

Keep in mind I didn't make it up, and anyone driving an important is biased as well, anything else?

Chad
    Hey Chad. I own a Ford and a Honda. They're both nice vehicles. I wouldn't throw the towl in on Toyota or Honda just yet. They got to where they're at for a lot of reasons and one of them is they have pretty solid balance sheets.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Whatever the issues are they must be pretty large to completely stop selling these new models. If it was a simple fix they would just do the fix then issue a recall on sold vehicles.

I don't recall any manufacturer doing this in my lifetime.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 287

cmhawks-The truth is no matter how you spin it Honda and Toyota are more reliable than your brand. Yes, Hyundai has made big steps in the last few years and are now taking away sales from the Japanese companies. Keep in mind that Hyundai has also leaped in front of your brand.

I'm assuming that you trust JD power or are they import biased also? I'll admit that Ford has come a long way but when you slam Toyota and they are ratedabove your brand than what does that say about your brand.

Last edited by dmclone; 01-26-2010 at 08:12 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Hey Chad. I own a Ford and a Honda. They're both nice vehicles. I wouldn't throw the towl in on Toyota or Honda just yet. They got to where they're at for a lot of reasons and one of them is they have pretty solid balance sheets.

Bob,

You may have missed the point. People have a faulty perception that the "imports" are far superior. If it was ever true (and it likely was marginally true) it is going down hill fast. That, and that alone has been my premise. That and the fact that it is better to buy American, and they aren't. Very simple point on my part, though I do agree people have tried to make it more.

Toyota will come out of this, but they have proved they aren't Teflon and really didn't learn much from GM at all it seems.

Chad

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    cmhawks-The truth is no matter how you spin it Honda and Toyota are more reliable than your brand. Yes, Hyundai has made big steps in the last few years and are now taking away sales from the Japanese companies. Keep in mind that Hyundai has also leaped in front of your brand.

I'm assuming that you trust JD power or are they import biased also? I'll admit that Ford has come a long way but when you slam Toyota and they are ratedabove your brand than what does that say about your brand.

Well apparently not.................no matter how you spin it. I so enjoy the irony of you positing this. I never would have, but I was waiting. Ford caught Toyota in all brand initial quality a couple years ago and their trucks don't even compare. The spin is out of the bag friend.

Stay tuned Toyota has more stuff coming out we've all been waiting for including but not limited to doctored "quality" reports and suppressed accident and safety stuff.

Then what?! Will that be spin? I'd wait before I say much if I were you. It's been a long time coming, but it will. Kind of like the Reggie Bush stuff ironically
    enuff.

Chad

Recruit
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

buy American is a little blurry in today's global economy. A lot of American jobs depend on Honda and Toyota doing well, and many peoples jobs globally depend on the US automakers doing well.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I will buy imports until the US car makers get their act together. US companies have had the same problems with Pinto's and Crown vic blowing up, or the Jeep Cherokees with a stuck accelerator... Toyota, Honda and Nissan have been kicking the US Auto's for decades and will continue to do so unless the US streamline and actually put out a qualtity product that is elegant and fun to drive. BMW's are mostly name as their reliability has not been much better than the US models.

The posted article is biased in my opinion...a lobbiest for the US automakers if you will.

Z

Edit: When I bought my first Toyota, I asked the Chief mech if there is a preference on where the models were made, he said go with imports only. This tells you where the craftsmenship was at that time.

Last edited by zach; 01-26-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I've been involved in some part of the car business since I was 18. I have watched Toyota and their rise to the "top" in many peoples mind. Marketing rule #1 in my opinion is perception is reality. Toyota has done far far far better job marketing their products and have created a loyal blind fan base. It amazes me that people brag on and on about their Toyotas. I mean seriously, you drive a Toyota, doesnt get much more bland than that (maybe a Nissan). Yet people brag about them and continue to buy them, and they are really good cars. Just like Fords just like chevys ect. I really don't think that this will cause any problems long term w/ sales ect. As far as Toyota of Des Moines, they have a liscense to print money over there. They will continue to bank hand over fist for a LONG time. If only other dealerships would follow their example they might have some competition in Des Moines.