Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

School Closing

So here I sit today looking out the window at blazing sunshine and my kid is home from school, AGAIN.

My kid's school has closed more this year than they closed school in the entire time I was growing up. They have closed 8-9 times this year if my count is correct, and 3-4 of those were flat out unnecessary.

I realize 100% that there are times when school needs to be cancelled, but I will never understand closures on days like today. I was out this morning and the roads were fine in my rural area.

Any have any ideas what metrics are used by districts to determine a closure is required?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

Re: School Closing

Where do you live? In Des Moines the roads were absolutely awful.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 53

well it depends where you live...would you mind giving out an example of a school district? Here in Cedar Rapids/Marion, Linn Mar is usually the first one to cancel classes due to the fact that they have a lot of kids that still live out in the country side. Granted there arent many any more, but there still are some. Yesterday they decided not to delay or cancel and ended up with a bus in the ditch. The wind in open areas has been just nasty the past few days. Even in town I've seen some massive drifts across the roads.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,302
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 53

Depends on timing...the roads have to be good enough for buses by 8:00 am for school to be held with most districts. (6:00 without a late start). It has been frustrating at times this year when roads look great at 9 or 10 and you wonder why school was cancelled, but the bus safety is the key element in cancellations...

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 22

Not knowing what district your student attends... The school I work at is very rural, and out side of any sort of metro area the roads suck. Supt even got stuck checking roads this morning, so that make the decision pretty darn easy.

Very important lesson learned... NEVER pass up the opportunity to acquire a bottle of Templeton Rye... NEVER.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HILLCYD View Post
    So here I sit today looking out the window at blazing sunshine and my kid is home from school, AGAIN.

My kid's school has closed more this year than they closed school in the entire time I was growing up. They have closed 8-9 times this year if my count is correct, and 3-4 of those were flat out unnecessary.

I realize 100% that there are times when school needs to be cancelled, but I will never understand closures on days like today. I was out this morning and the roads were fine in my rural area.

Any have any ideas what metrics are used by districts to determine a closure is required?
    I know ISU has the policy that if the CyRide cannot get around safely, they cancel classes. I don't know about other school districts.

Also, your kid has already missed 8-9 days?!? At what point do they stop making kids make up days in the summer? At this point these kids will be in school til the end of June.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Again, I am all for safety. Yesterday = a good day to cancel classes.

This morning while I was out the roads were far from great, but definitely not terrible. I went out a little later and the highway was actually clean and dry.

This has really been a bad winter, but they seem to pull the trigger a little more quickly than I am used oto.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 22

This morning while I was out the roads were far from great, but definitely not terrible. I went out a little later and the highway was actually clean and dry.

This has really been a bad winter, but they seem to pull the trigger a little more quickly than I am used oto.

Also remember that there are a bunch of teens out driving like fools. You could drive in it, but not the 14 year old coming to school in Dad's truck with a school permit.

Last edited by khehr; 01-26-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Very important lesson learned... NEVER pass up the opportunity to acquire a bottle of Templeton Rye... NEVER.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Here in Waterloo we've taken less days than last year. We've had a lot of early dismissals and 2 hour morning delays but very few days off.

You have to error on the side of safety. I can understand the rural schools. They have a lot more gravel roads to drive.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 19

I think alot of these schools need to start thinking about cancelling that week of spring break that they have coming up in march.
    They cancel school, but then I have to get my kids to daycare and then myself to work.

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    I think alot of these schools need to start thinking about cancelling that week of spring break that they have coming up in march.
    They cancel school, but then I have to get my kids to daycare and then myself to work.
    Oh, here is the great thing. Our spring break was already knocked down to 2 days due to the high school not being able to open on time at the beginning of the school year. Now they will likely take all of it away. Even if they do that, they were going to have to do a June release date. It if keeps up there is a real chance they will be cancelling school due to heat in late June.

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 63

When I was a kid, schools were smaller and closer. Especially the elementary schools. Heck, just about every neighborhood had a school. And I'm not that old, I'm talking about the early 80's here. As long as the buses could run, they would have class.

Now parents have to drive their kids instead of letting them walk or bus. Maybe that is part of the reason for more closing.

That and kids are just wussies today!

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

According to the register's article How many inches? We've had most snow since 1886 | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Des Moines has had the most snow this season since 1885-1886. That might be why school has been canceled more times than when you were in school. Unless you are really, really old.

Rookie
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I guess I would rather my kid go to class in June then die on a bus because the school was afraid of cancelling too much. Since you still haven't said where you live, I will have to speak from my drive experience this morning and say it was anything but a good safe drive. I would hate to think of a top heavy bus driving on the black ice covered streets filled with little kids. Liability becomes an issue as well. Keep in mind, the first time a school bus rolls and kids get hurt there will be dozens of people suing saying that schools should have cancelled.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 442

Quote Originally Posted by khehr View Post
    Also remember that there are a bunch of teens out driving like fools. You could drive in it, but not the 14 year old coming to school in Dad's truck with a school permit.

--Karl
    I think that this has more to it than most people would admit.

With fewer rural districts, kids are traveling farther now that they had to in the past to get to school. And many times they're driving on their own - not a big deal if they have a 10 mile round trip, but 50 mile round trips are much more common now than they were.

I don't think that anyone wants to be the administrator that doesn't cancel classes and a kid ends up dead due to inclement weather.

Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"