Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 220
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 113,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,820
    Points
    113,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 95

    Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    From yesterday's NY Times,
    Syracuse asst. coach Rob Murphy: "The (ISU) coach thought he was soft, but he was really hurt. There was so much blood and tissue covering the stress fracture that it wasn't detected."
    Also, WJ laments the 100 set plays in Gmac's offense, compared to the 10 in Boeheim's system, saying "players really respond to that, just letting players play."

    All in all, in just a few sentences of the article, rotten recruiting PR for ISU.

    Transfer Wes Johnson Finds Paradise at Syracuse - NYTimes.com



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 78,296, Level: 86
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,281
    Points
    78,296
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Also, WJ laments the 100 set plays in Gmac's offense, compared to the 10 in Boeheim's system, saying "players really respond to that, just letting players play."
    I actually joked this might be a hindrance but i guess there might be some truth to it.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 109,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,182
    Points
    109,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 100

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    The way Wes left, and his brother sticking his nose in it ticked me off but I'm sure the foot thing really ticked Wes off as well. I figured that during his second year he was a lot more hurt than the coaching staff ever thought. Something just wasn't right then, and I think there's more to the story. 99% of ISU fans just completely hate his guts but I wonder if GMac was ever really looking out for Wes and his foot. Maybe more people know about his foot and really how many specialists he ever saw?



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 274,613, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,513
    Points
    274,613
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    From yesterday's NY Times,
    Syracuse asst. coach Rob Murphy: "The (ISU) coach thought he was soft, but he was really hurt. There was so much blood and tissue covering the stress fracture that it wasn't detected."
    Also, WJ laments the 100 set plays in Gmac's offense, compared to the 10 in Boeheim's system, saying "players really respond to that, just letting players play."

    All in all, in just a few sentences of the article, rotten recruiting PR for ISU.

    Transfer Wes Johnson Finds Paradise at Syracuse - NYTimes.com
    Thanks for the "Title" of the thread and your "Spin" of the situation......I thought the Title of the article was...?
    "Transfer Wes Johnson Finds Paradise at Syracuse"

    Maybe could have included this tibit, if you did not have a agenda against our Head Coach.....sad

    When Johnson decided to transfer, Murphy recruited Johnson despite Boeheimís history of rarely taking transfers. After Murphy mentioned Johnson, Boeheim ran into McDermott at a Coaches vs. Cancer charity event.
    McDermott raved about Johnsonís character, which led to Boeheimís telling Murphy to bring Johnson in for a visit. Johnson committed to Syracuse without taking planned trips to Pittsburgh, Ohio State and West Virginia.


    Last edited by coachdags; 01-26-2010 at 03:36 AM.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 78,296, Level: 86
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,281
    Points
    78,296
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    The way Wes left, and his brother sticking his nose in it ticked me off but I'm sure the foot thing really ticked Wes off as well. I figured that during his second year he was a lot more hurt than the coaching staff ever thought. Something just wasn't right then, and I think there's more to the story. 99% of ISU fans just completely hate his guts but I wonder if GMac was ever really looking out for Wes and his foot. Maybe more people know about his foot and really how many specialists he ever saw?
    I still like Wes Johnson. I wish he was on our team, but I understand he felt like he had to leave and I could tell something was wrong with his foot like he shouldn't be playing.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 78,296, Level: 86
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,281
    Points
    78,296
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    Thanks for the "Title" of the thread and your "Spin" of the situation......

    Maybe could have included this tibit, if you did not have a agenda against our Head Coach.....sad

    When Johnson decided to transfer, Murphy recruited Johnson despite Boeheimís history of rarely taking transfers. After Murphy mentioned Johnson, Boeheim ran into McDermott at a Coaches vs. Cancer charity event.
    McDermott raved about Johnsonís character, which led to Boeheimís telling Murphy to bring Johnson in for a visit. Johnson committed to Syracuse without taking planned trips to Pittsburgh, Ohio State and West Virginia.
    That happens anywhere...in business, in sports, etc..DEFINITELY not an isolated incident against ISU. This happens everyday in the business world.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 13,240, Level: 34
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    461
    Points
    13,240
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    From yesterday's NY Times,
    Syracuse asst. coach Rob Murphy: "The (ISU) coach thought he was soft, but he was really hurt. There was so much blood and tissue covering the stress fracture that it wasn't detected."
    Also, WJ laments the 100 set plays in Gmac's offense, compared to the 10 in Boeheim's system, saying "players really respond to that, just letting players play."

    All in all, in just a few sentences of the article, rotten recruiting PR for ISU.

    Transfer Wes Johnson Finds Paradise at Syracuse - NYTimes.com

    Not the first time I have heard about Coach Mac's huge playbook...Maybe this team is just bogged down too much, and natural basketball instincts aren't coming through as easily.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 44,627, Level: 65
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,627
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Watching our offense, I still don't understand the claim that we have over 100 sets.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 113,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,820
    Points
    113,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 95

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by dualforce View Post
    Not the first time I have heard about Coach Mac's huge playbook...Maybe this team is just bogged down too much, and natural basketball instincts aren't coming through as easily.
    I always thought it was urban legend, but apparently not...



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 78,296, Level: 86
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,281
    Points
    78,296
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Watching our offense, I still don't understand the claim that we have over 100 sets.
    We probably only actually use a "small" percentage of them I'm guessing and I've heard too about how many set plays the players have had to learn but nothing else about it.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 274,613, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,513
    Points
    274,613
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    I still like Wes Johnson. I wish he was on our team, but I understand he felt like he had to leave and I could tell something was wrong with his foot like he shouldn't be playing.
    I'm guessing then next time the Team Trainers, Doctors and Medical Staff at ISU clear a kid to play, they should also probably come check with you too.....?



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 44,627, Level: 65
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,627
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    We probably only actually use a "small" percentage of them I'm guessing and I've heard too about how many set plays the players have had to learn but nothing else about it.
    If Lucca had over 100 different responsibilities on offense, I'll eat a hat.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 78,296, Level: 86
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,281
    Points
    78,296
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    I'm guessing then next time the Team Trainers, Doctors and Medical Staff at ISU clear a kid to play, they should also probably come check with you too.....?
    and your point is what again?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 78,296, Level: 86
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,281
    Points
    78,296
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    If Lucca had over 100 different responsibilities on offense, I'll eat a hat.
    Um, okay. Learning 100 things is way different than utilizing them. I know all the modes on the guitar, but do I use them all when playing? hell no. I'm not going to use a phrygian mode usually but hell, if something comes up it's a damn useful thing to know. If you're in basketball, knowing a good set play that's designed to do X might be good to know in some situation, but the chances of you using it is not that great. I've heard from many sources about Mac's huge playbook.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 274,613, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,513
    Points
    274,613
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Re: Syracuse asst - Mac thought WJ was soft

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    and your point is what again?
    Simple....

    The Trainers, Doctors, ISU Medical staff did not detect the hairline fracture in the foot, they cleared him to play, basically telling the Coach he is ok.

    Now you guys expect Greg to be a doctor too.....

    The hairline fracture was detected after the season, when Wes went to his own specialist, after he left the team and decided to transfer.


    edit: but you already knew this by your previous post...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM