Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Music & video randomly play too fast

I've been doing sporadic research on this for almost two months now, and have made no headway, so I'm turning to the only place I have left: the CF computer people!

My computer will randomly start playing all media at approximately twice the normal speed. It happens across the board: iTunes, Windows Media, Quicktime, mp3, Youtube, Flash, Java, embedded, standalone, Windows system sounds, and everything in between. Both video and audio are played at a double rate, resulting in distorted "chipmunked" sound, but my machine otherwise operates perfectly normally. The only way to fix this is to restart the system.

I can't find anything that triggers it. It's not a particular program, or length of time, or action. It can happen while I'm in the middle of using the machine (even in the middle of playing a media file) or while I'm at class or sleeping. I've looked at hardware acceleration, I've checked the sound drivers for my motherboard, I've looked at system and program sound settings, and I still can't find ANYTHING that's been helpful. I have no idea what to do.

I'm running an up-to-date Windows XP Pro. I use the onboard 5.1 sound on my Asus P5B Deluxe mobo. (I have a Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1 PCIe card installed, but I don't use it.) If you need any more system information, I'm happy to provide it. Any help is appreciated VERY MUCH.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: Music & video randomly play too fast

Bump. Help? Please? I noticed last night that it seemed to get worse when I had two different media types loading simultaneously. One tab in Chrome was loading an in-browser WMV, and the other was loading an in-browser Quicktime. This was just 3 minutes after I'd restarted, and the problem has never cropped up that quickly before.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Re: Music & video randomly play too fast

I would highly suspect the sound card. Either the driver is corrupt or has been updated with a wrong one, thru windows update. Or possibly the sound card has developed a
    thermal problem. I would try (and you may have already) deleting the sound card
    driver and reinstalling it, with an updated one. I can't think of anything else it might be. If you have the other sound card installed does it have the same issue if you use it?

Last edited by Cyberclone; 01-27-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: forgot something