Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Guard Play at ISU

Good college bball teams have one thing always. That is good guard play with both a shooting guard and good strong point guard. When your point guard scores 0 points and has 5 turnovers and shoots no free throws you will lose everytime. We continue to try and make a non shooting 2 guard into a point guard and it is not working. If you look at every good college bball team ISU has ever had they had good guard play. It effects every aspect of the game. For 3 years GMAC has tried to make DG a point guard and this is where we are in year 3. If he does not recruit some good guards soon it might be his undoing. I think he can and is a good coach but it starts in the guard court..

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Re: Guard Play at ISU

Quote Originally Posted by JCREEK View Post
    Good college bball teams have one thing always. That is good guard play with both a shooting guard and good strong point guard. When your point guard scores 0 points and has 5 turnovers and shoots no free throws you will lose everytime. We continue to try and make a non shooting 2 guard into a point guard and it is not working. If you look at every good college bball team ISU has ever had they had good guard play. It effects every aspect of the game. For 3 years GMAC has tried to make DG a point guard and this is where we are in year 3. If he does not recruit some good guards soon it might be his undoing. I think he can and is a good coach but it starts in the guard court..
    And the most ironic aspect to that is that while at UNI he recruited guards extremely well.....

But i agree - ego maybe, but he's continued to say the DG is our best point guard.....well based on what were seeing thats a direct correlation to he and the staff that they continue to fail at the point and recruit other positions....

Bottom line is, if i were in Macs shoes and knowing i have at least one scholarship available, i would hit the juco ranks and find the very best point guard - true point guard and sign him.

If not, we will continue to make excuses about DG, i love the kid, but, his development into a true PG has not happened. In fact i think his play has gotten worse. He seems to be a bit more selfish with the ball and his dribble drives reflect his inability to play the point. We should have adjusted the lineup a long time ago and either went with buckley or colvin and let the chips fall where they may....