Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Thoughts on Iowa State MBB

If anybody cares!

First off, we can't win with our power forward getting 1 rebound in 36 minutes of play. Last year at this time CB grabbed 14 rebounds against Kansas. What has changed? He is getting pushed around under the hoop. He isn't getting wide down low when blocking out and his guys are pretty much out muscling him down low. It has to change if we want to be successful at all the rest of the year. With Gilstrap and CB we should be just fine as a rebounding team. Unfortunately we are bad right now. As far as scoring, I am going to give CB a pass right now. He is getting doubled from the middle of the court, which forces him to the sidelines and that is a tough shot. Plus we don't have guard play right now to get him the ball in a good position. Who would have though the Petey would be missed so much, but he is in regards to how he set up Brackins on offense.

Scotty C is a basketball player. He lacks a little size for the 2 position but he comes off screens well and he is the only guy on the team with a mid range game. Not to mention, his defense on Collins yesterday was fantastic. Collins was 3 for 10 from the field and if it wasn't for some horrific officiating he wouldn't have scored 10 points. Scotty kept him in front of him and it is nice to have a guard that can contain dribble penetration.

Hamilton is becoming a very good ball player. Best low post defender, follows up on the offensive glass. Yesterday he played great but thanks to the horrific officiating he spent more time on the bench than he did on the court.

All in all it all comes down to guard play and unfortunately DG isn't getting it done right now. A friend of mine said it best, but if Diante got paid by the dribble, he would be a billionaire. He dribbles the air out of the ball without going anywhere. He isn't quick enough to get around his guy without a pick and he isn't strong enough to get to a spot on the court that he wants to go to. So what ends up happening is the defender pushes him out to almost half court and we never run our offense. Everytime I end up watching other college basketball teams it becomes clear that our biggest issue is guard play. We need a guard that can get to spots on the court that he needs to get to, that can drive the lane, that can finish, and that has a decent enough shot that the opposing defense has to respect it.

I feel bad for McDermott. He is a fantastic guy and has had some really bad luck throughout his time at Iowa State. Some of which was his fault and other times it was not. In the end it doesn't really matter. All that matters is if you are winning. Unfortunately we are not winning and I think most realistic people are starting to question whether we can win with him at the helm. I remember when he first got to Iowa State and we won 6 games in Big 12 play. Our talent level was probably a 3 win team. I, along with many others thought Greg could beat other teams even if we had less talent. What happened to that? I can't remember the last time that we won a game that we weren't supposed to win. And to be honest isn't that all some of us fans want? A little hope? A little something that says this program still has a chance to get us excited and surprise us. Nothing surprises me anymore, in a bad way.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 142

Re: Thoughts on Iowa State MBB

Nice post but you forgot that DG not being able to hit a 3 kills this team. He also struggles in finding the open guy and if he gets pressed when dribbling he ****s up.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Nice post but you forgot that DG not being able to hit a 3 kills this team. He also struggles in finding the open guy and if he gets pressed when dribbling he ****s up.
    I didn't want to pile on the kid! Seriously that is why we miss Petey. When he would pass it into Brackins his guy couldn't leave him because if he did, Craig would kick it back out and he could hit the 3. Know when DG passes it into Craig (late) his guy can leave him because he is no threat at all

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I didn't want to pile on the kid! Seriously that is why we miss Petey. When he would pass it into Brackins his guy couldn't leave him because if he did, Craig would kick it back out and he could hit the 3. Know when DG passes it into Craig (late) his guy can leave him because he is no threat at all
    Good points. Never thought of the Petey thing. Maybe Buck would help that out.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

I agree about this. I will also add that we miss JVB for the same reason. Remember last year when we would post CB up on the same side as JVB up top? Teams had to either single-cover CB, or double team him, and let JVB bomb from three. Pick your poison.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,051
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 345

Real simple boys & girls....Things are NOT going to get any better until Greg McDermott is fired and leaves ames iowa!!!

If you think this season is bad, just wait until next season rolls around.....

Last edited by bos; 01-25-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

and sorry ahead of time for posting this in WBB forum. If a mod could fix that I would appreciate it
    If you were hanging out in the WBB forum, I guess that explains why you missed all the "state of the program" threads already in existence in the MBB forum.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    If you were hanging out in the WBB forum, I guess that explains why you missed all the "state of the program" threads already in existence in the MBB forum.
    haha good point. Seriously though there are doomsday threads about the state of the MBB program. Mine isn't one of them. I think I took a different approach to the thread. But thanks for your input in the thread!

Walk On
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I agree in your reasoning for Brackins lower offensive output. I just wish he wouldn't force shots up when he is double teamed. I recall the first two possessions of the second half yesterday. 1) They ran a great play in which SC was wide open for a mid range jump shot that he drilled. 2) CB gets double teamed dribbles toward the sideline and takes one of the worst shots I have ever seen him take falling back and towards the sideline.

Obviously it is easier said than done for a guy that good to take a back seat, but when other teams take him out of the game our best scoring spurts have come from other guys.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 173

Guard play, guard play, guard play! It all boils down to guard play. Our front line is as athletic as any in the conference, but our guard play is inconsistent. Until that changes, we will be a third tier team in the Big XII.

Go Cyclones!!