Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

Remote Car Starters

Anyone know what kind would be a good brand to buy, and what price range I am looking at? Also is this something I can install myself?

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0

Re: Remote Car Starters

Call around. Dealers and most car stereo installers can put these in for you. The prices vary quite a bit, but when I called around Des Moines last year the purchase + install prices ranged anywhere from $300.00-$600.00.

You can install one yourself if you are somewhat savvy with electrical components. Most of the newer brands are linked in with your car's computer so I'd be hesitant to install one myself.

I'll tell you this, if your car is not garaged... nothing beats starting your car from your kitchen while you sip on a cup of coffee. Also good for when you are out at a restaurant and don't want to go out to a cold car! Most women I know are weenies when it comes to cold weather so it could be an added bonus if in a relationship.

I'll tell you this as well, it really helps the re-sale value of the car if you describe the pros of having it as I did above.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 20

I think my father in law purchased a Viper brand starter from best buy and the installation came with it. He really likes it.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 523
    Given: 503

Quote Originally Posted by temperflare View Post
    Call around. Dealers and most car stereo installers can put these in for you. The prices vary quite a bit, but when I called around Des Moines last year the purchase + install prices ranged anywhere from $300.00-$600.00.

You can install one yourself if you are somewhat savvy with electrical components. Most of the newer brands are linked in with your car's computer so I'd be hesitant to install one myself.

I'll tell you this, if your car is not garaged... nothing beats starting your car from your kitchen while you sip on a cup of coffee. Also good for when you are out at a restaurant and don't want to go out to a cold car! Most women I know are weenies when it comes to cold weather so it could be an added bonus if in a relationship.

I'll tell you this as well, it really helps the re-sale value of the car if you describe the pros of having it as I did above.
    Mine came with the car. It's awesome. I can start it from my machine at work, which is fun for those folks that run around panicking in the winter about when to start their car. (I always thought the answer was "after work," but what do I know?)

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I can't help with the original question, but I can add that a remote starter is the best thing ever. The truck that I just bought came with one and it's awesome to start it from my desk at work when it is -12 outside.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,247
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    Anyone know what kind would be a good brand to buy, and what price range I am looking at? Also is this something I can install myself?
    IMO, when comparing quality, 90% of it is in the quality of the remote. In terms of price range, it depends on bells and whistles, (security system or not) and the complexity of the car it's going on. Cars with computer chipped keys are more involved and thus more expensive.

If one is going to do a DYI install, before you start, make absolutely sure the brand you choose has the proper attachements for your make and model of car. It's one thing to hack wires for a stereo, but another to do it for a starting system. I've seen a lot of butchered ones over the years, and the problems range from starting on their own with no remote present to not starting at all, regardless of whether you are using the key or the remote.

Probably the best brand I've seen over the years is Astro. Last I knew, S & C in Urbandale sold and installed them, and possibly Accurate Auto Trim in Ames, although personally, I wouldn't let them touch anything electical. Viper isn't bad either, although the quality of their remote cases is less than impressive.

I got a Viper for my wife recently. I had it done at Best Buy because a) they were the only people in Ames competent enough to do it, b) because her car has a computer chipped key AND a factory security system, I really didn't want to screw with it, c) I've seen enough poor installations to know that I wanted nothing to do with that, and d) the process was smooth and easy.

FWIW I had to drop just shy of $400 with tax. Installation was included with the price. If you don't have a chipped immobilizer key, it will be less.

Personally, I wouldn't tackle one on my own unless I was doing it on an older, unsophisticated application, i.e. something without a security system or immobilizer key. For me, I'd be money and time ahead to get a part time job at McDonalds to pay for installation rather than get all ****ed off trying to save a buck. But that's me.

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 12

They're not too bad, I've installed several on newer vehicles that have different types of immobilizer systems. As long as you get the right immobilizer bypass that will work with the remote starter unit you're installing, you're good to go.

I always do Google searching for forums about the specific vehicle I'm working on to find out what I'll need. Another good resource is the12volt's install bay - Mobile Electronics Forums. Lots of professional installers peruse that board and help answer questions about installs.

It took me probably about 6 hours of actual work to install the remote starter on my 2007 Trailblazer a few weeks ago. The time used doubled only because I had a tough time figuring out which output from the remote starter unit was going to signal the immobilizer bypass unit to initiate. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone $300+ for something I can do with $100 in electronics and less than a day's worth of work.

BTW, I pretty much always use Bulldog remote starters, only because they're what I'm most familiar with now. The range isn't the greatest, but it works from inside the house to out in the garage, and at work the car is parked so far away from my office area that it wouldn't matter anyway.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Viper SmartStart

This is the system that I have been after and they finally announced a Blackberry version coming sometime this QTR. My car key is already bulky since the lock/unlock controls are built in and I don't want to add another bulky item to my keys, this seems like a good fix and unlimited range as long as there is a signal.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

Thanks for the good info fellas
    I will look around and it sounds like im not doing the install myself !

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by armandjones82 View Post
    I think that there are some good car or truck parts, with particular with the remote car starter that are available in the market today. There are some parts like what alert and other branded parts that are out there in order to give some good parts in your vehicle. Hope all will be well by now.
    Roger?

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just had a Avital one installed over Xmas through S&C. Simple remote start and nothing else. I've enjoyed it thus far, just trying to figure out my range on these things.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 103

Maybe my next car will be an automatic so i can have something like this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 112

Just do not have it in gear when you start it.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    They're not too bad, I've installed several on newer vehicles that have different types of immobilizer systems. As long as you get the right immobilizer bypass that will work with the remote starter unit you're installing, you're good to go.

I always do Google searching for forums about the specific vehicle I'm working on to find out what I'll need. Another good resource is the12volt's install bay - Mobile Electronics Forums. Lots of professional installers peruse that board and help answer questions about installs.

It took me probably about 6 hours of actual work to install the remote starter on my 2007 Trailblazer a few weeks ago. The time used doubled only because I had a tough time figuring out which output from the remote starter unit was going to signal the immobilizer bypass unit to initiate. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone $300+ for something I can do with $100 in electronics and less than a day's worth of work.

BTW, I pretty much always use Bulldog remote starters, only because they're what I'm most familiar with now. The range isn't the greatest, but it works from inside the house to out in the garage, and at work the car is parked so far away from my office area that it wouldn't matter anyway.
    Bulldog makes a professional version of their starters with a lot better range then the regular units

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

My last one allowed me to start my car up a 1/4 mile away, was great when we would be coming out of Hilton after a ISU game.

On the downside, if you have a smart key you have to give one up for the remote starter. Does anyone know if that remote Viper system requires you to give up one of your smart keys?