Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

Rifle scope?

Need an opinion... I'm looking for an affordable (<$30) scope to put on a .22 rimfire rifle that I just restored. I had an old Marlin 70 that I beat the crap out of as a kid, and I nabbed it from my parents house over the holidays so I could restore it. Completely stripped it down, repainted the painted components, re-blued the barrel, refinished the stock, and got it nice and clean on the inside. It probably looks as sharp as it did new in 1972.

I'm replacing a cheap old Tasco scope that I think I pulled off of a pellet gun when I was a kid, so a $30 model would be an upgrade. Any brand/model suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, are there any indoor ranges in the DM area where I could go in the dead of winter and zero in a rifle scope?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Re: Rifle scope?

I would go to Scheels or Cabellas or Bass Pro and see what they have on the shelf. A $30 scope is generally not going to be any better than the naked eye especially when coupled w/ a .22 rifle. I am a big time fan of plinking with .22 rifles on weekends, generally waste a box of 500 shells a weekend shooting cans targets ect. In most peoples opinion a regular sight is much more accurate given the shooting distance of a .22. To me its as worthless as a scope on a bbgun or like having 4 big mud tires on a 2whl drive truck. Not necessary. As a little kid my first rifle had a scope and I tore it off because its generally much more fun and easy to aim a target without a scope on a low power rifle. If you are using it for hunting such as on a trapline you will also be much better off due to the lighting issues. My two cents worth.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

you're not planning a trip to germany anytime soon are you?

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    I would go to Scheels or Cabellas or Bass Pro and see what they have on the shelf. A $30 scope is generally not going to be any better than the naked eye especially when coupled w/ a .22 rifle. I am a big time fan of plinking with .22 rifles on weekends, generally waste a box of 500 shells a weekend shooting cans targets ect. In most peoples opinion a regular sight is much more accurate given the shooting distance of a .22. To me its as worthless as a scope on a bbgun or like having 4 big mud tires on a 2whl drive truck. Not necessary. As a little kid my first rifle had a scope and I tore it off because its generally much more fun and easy to aim a target without a scope on a low power rifle. If you are using it for hunting such as on a trapline you will also be much better off due to the lighting issues. My two cents worth.
    Well, I would have to disagree, at least for this particular rifle/scope combo. That Tasco was nothing more than a cheap 4-power that you can buy new for about $6, and I could consistently knock sparrows out of a tree from 30-40 yards. It was very accurate with a cheap scope, and much better than the naked eye looking through the stock sights.

st8

make: bushnell model: .22 rimfire fixed X4 power. would be ideal for what i think your looking for. any place that sells optics is gonna stock them (jax in ames, scheels, bPS, sportsmans, etc) I wanna say they run around $35, but they come with rings already attached so you save a bit there. all you'll need is bases and your set. I have one of these on an old .22 of mine and for what I paid for it I've been more than satisfied.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by st8 View Post
    make: bushnell model: .22 rimfire fixed X4 power. would be ideal for what i think your looking for. any place that sells optics is gonna stock them (jax in ames, scheels, bPS, sportsmans, etc) I wanna say they run around $35, but they come with rings already attached so you save a bit there. all you'll need is bases and your set. I have one of these on an old .22 of mine and for what I paid for it I've been more than satisfied.
    Thanks. I've looked at a couple of Bushnells in that range that seemed very nice. I appreciate the info.

st8

any cheaper then this and your looking at either an extremely inexpensive red dot or some tasco pile that won't even be worth putting on your gun

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey sorry, didn't want to come off as one of the gun snobs I hate.....To each their own.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Hey sorry, didn't want to come off as one of the gun snobs I hate.....To each their own.
    No offense taken.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

All $30 scopes are pretty much created equal. They tend to be really fragile, so treated it gently, and your .22 lr should do okay.

Also, be careful taking it between temperature extremes. Fogging is pretty common in the cheap scopes.

My best sources for cheap scopes are farm sales. Modern scopes in higher price ranges tend to knock the socks off older scopes, but you can get really good older scopes in low price range at farm sales. Old Weavers tend to be exceptional quality, for instance.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I got a nice scope from K-Mart a while back when they were selling off their stock of sporting goods stuff. It's a BSA 3-9 x 40 and I think I paid like $20 for it. Does a great job on my Marlin bolt action .22!

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    All $30 scopes are pretty much created equal. They tend to be really fragile, so treated it gently, and your .22 lr should do okay.

Also, be careful taking it between temperature extremes. Fogging is pretty common in the cheap scopes.

My best sources for cheap scopes are farm sales. Modern scopes in higher price ranges tend to knock the socks off older scopes, but you can get really good older scopes in low price range at farm sales. Old Weavers tend to be exceptional quality, for instance.
    Tell me more about these Old Weavers. I'm not familiar. TIA