Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 51,178, Level: 70
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dbronco7sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    1,927
    Points
    51,178
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Question about rep (green bar)

    I know it's been this way forever. But I'd figure I'd ask to satisfy my curiosity.

    As you're reputation goes up. Why are there 5 Bright Green bars, then after that, the rest of the bars are Dim Green (up to a max of 6 it appears)?

    This isn't an important question that needs an answer if you have to dig around to find out, and I don't expect a change. I just am curious why they change from Bright to Dim if anybody happens to know off hand.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 153,609, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,454
    Points
    153,609
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 5

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    I know it's been this way forever. But I'd figure I'd ask to satisfy my curiosity.

    As you're reputation goes up. Why are there 5 Bright Green bars, then after that, the rest of the bars are Dim Green (up to a max of 6 it appears)?

    This isn't an important question that needs an answer if you have to dig around to find out, and I don't expect a change. I just am curious why they change from Bright to Dim if anybody happens to know off hand.
    Your signature needs some updating



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 51,178, Level: 70
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dbronco7sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    1,927
    Points
    51,178
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Your signature needs some updating
    This is true.



  4. #4
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 493,881, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,423
    Points
    493,881
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    This is not a technical answer, and may have no basis in reality.

    If I remember correctly, Jeremy redid rep a few years ago by taking the old number that you had and dividing it by some number (5 or something). That meant that, as you accumulated more rep, it would give you a numeric value based off of a dividend of whatever the repping entity had. Thus, when everyone's values were lower, it was harder to get large amounts of rep - so I think that the light green rep are all rep values under a certain numeric value, and the dark green are over a certain numeric value.

    That likely makes no sense.


    M 7/09

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 26,977, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,920
    Points
    26,977
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Probably not something that's needed when no one knows what it means...



  6. #6
    All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    It'd be sweet if someone could explain the whole concept of repping, how it works, and everything else that goes along with it. I kind of get it, but only the basics. Seems like a good idea because more and more new people are posting on the CF regularly.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is not a technical answer, and may have no basis in reality.

    If I remember correctly, Jeremy redid rep a few years ago by taking the old number that you had and dividing it by some number (5 or something). That meant that, as you accumulated more rep, it would give you a numeric value based off of a dividend of whatever the repping entity had. Thus, when everyone's values were lower, it was harder to get large amounts of rep - so I think that the light green rep are all rep values under a certain numeric value, and the dark green are over a certain numeric value.

    That likely makes no sense.
    Not even close.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 355,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,898
    Points
    355,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is not a technical answer, and may have no basis in reality.

    If I remember correctly, Jeremy redid rep a few years ago by taking the old number that you had and dividing it by some number (5 or something). That meant that, as you accumulated more rep, it would give you a numeric value based off of a dividend of whatever the repping entity had. Thus, when everyone's values were lower, it was harder to get large amounts of rep - so I think that the light green rep are all rep values under a certain numeric value, and the dark green are over a certain numeric value.

    That likely makes no sense.
    It makes sense to me, however you are at full rep very soon. It doesn't take much to get there. I have a feeling Jeremy either A.)Didn't forsee the quality of posts coming or B.)Didn't think we would give each other credit. I think the rep system needs to be redone.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 206,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,441
    Points
    206,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    It makes sense to me, however you are at full rep very soon. It doesn't take much to get there. I have a feeling Jeremy either A.)Didn't forsee the quality of posts coming or B.)Didn't think we would give each other credit. I think the rep system needs to be redone.
    Here, here!



  10. #10
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 493,881, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,423
    Points
    493,881
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    It makes sense to me, however you are at full rep very soon. It doesn't take much to get there. I have a feeling Jeremy either A.)Didn't forsee the quality of posts coming or B.)Didn't think we would give each other credit. I think the rep system needs to be redone.
    Yep. Basically, it's inflation. When he first redid the system, the method where it divides had everyone at really low numeric values, so, if you were only giving someone a dividend of your already-low numeric value with each rep, it followed that rep amounts were pretty small. However, I guess we rep a lot. :)


    M 7/09

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 355,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,898
    Points
    355,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Just look at this thread. All but 2 people are at full rep and one is very very close. The other only has 400 posts. It gets up there fast, especially if you post with the quality I do.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 85,395, Level: 90
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Ciclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,915
    Points
    85,395
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 97

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Here's what I think would be cool:

    A system where you could 'rep' someone, but it would be personal to you - not everyone could see it. That way you can see quickly who you think has had good or bad info/comments. Sometimes it's obvious when people post a ton, but it would be particularly valuable when someone doesn't.

    Edit: Or maybe it just weights your 'repping' of that person higher?


    Last edited by Ciclone; 01-22-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: asdf

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 856,861, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,041
    Points
    856,861
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,284
    Given: 1,116

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Not even close.
    I got it. It's basically what I figured out on my own, with some jargon thrown in.


    But I shouldn't expect much from a darn dirty Hok fan


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 856,861, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,041
    Points
    856,861
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,284
    Given: 1,116

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclone View Post
    Here's what I think would be cool:

    A system where you could 'rep' someone, but it would be personal to you - not everyone could see it. That way you can see quickly who you think has had good or bad info/comments. Sometimes it's obvious when people post a ton, but it would be particularly valuable when someone doesn't.

    Edit: Or maybe it just weights your 'repping' of that person higher?
    Actually, a person's rep is already factored into the rep you receive from that poster, I believe. If you're way out there on the rep spectrum, posters way low don't actually give you a measurable rep amount, or maybe none at all.

    Hope that didn't sound as cold as it might have. I'm in analytical mode now.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 493,881, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,423
    Points
    493,881
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

    Re: Question about rep (green bar)

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Actually, a person's rep is already factored into the rep you receive from that poster, I believe. If you're way out there on the rep spectrum, posters way low don't actually give you a measurable rep amount, or maybe none at all.

    Hope that didn't sound as cold as it might have. I'm in analytical mode now.
    Yep, that's part of what I was trying to say before. It's why you can get a blue box of rep in your UserCP - it's positive rep given by someone who doesn't have a rep value of their own that's really measurable (and able to be divided).


    M 7/09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM