Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

The question of pulling redshirts

I was sympathetic to Coach Mac's predicament when Colvin played last night, mainly because I didn't want him to pull the redshirts on two promising young Cyclone players. I was skeptical of Mac's original suspension decision, and thought that part of it was posturing as a disciplinarian to deflect criticism after several disappointing losses.

Then, today at lunch, I had a revelation: What's the big deal about a kid only getting three years to play at ISU anyway? That's about a year longer than most guys stay in our program, so why not "play 'em if you've got 'em"?

This revelation made me sad, because I wanted to believe in Coach Mac. Unfortunately, I think that this whole "suspension or play" controversy is just distracting us from the big picture: Can Mac run a successful program & make in-game coaching decisions at this level? IMHO, the only reason the jury is still out on this question is because they're taking advantage of the free meals during deliberations.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Re: The question of pulling redshirts

It's not about ISU's perspective, how ****** would you be if you were Bubu and only got to play 3 seasons because you played 15 worthless minutes as a redshirt freshman?

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would think that he'd say to himself "Dude, I should transfer out of here".

Which is a popular sentiment among many of his predecessors, I guess.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 91

He said it is not fair to the kid. Which is right.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

OK, I didn't want to be heavy handed, but since my sarcasm is apparently buried too deep to be seen with the naked eye, I'll elaborate:

If these kids don't lose a year of elgibility because a desperate coach yanks their redshirt to play after the season goes in the tank (see Bandhauer, Todd), then they'll just end up losing that season of elgibility because they transferred to another program for whatever reason at some point down the road. As long as they're probably going to lose a season anyway, why not play a little and keep it from being a total waste for everyone?

It's a win-win for everyone: The coach will avoid reversing himself on a "character issue" and losing some credibility, and the kid will have some more highlight film to show prospective coaches when he's out there shopping for a new home.

Plus, if the kid gets lucky and has a breakout game, he'll probably get laid because of that performance. I've been out of school for a few years, but I don't seem to remember any hotties throwing themselves at redshirt players as a reward for their "stellar potential".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 1,022

Um, you didn't need to elaborate. We got it, it was another stupid *** bash the coach thread, and an especially idiotic one at that.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's a good metaphor for the state of ISU's basketball program right now:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6vqsOt-Pc]YouTube - Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid's Big Jump into the Gorge[/ame]

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    OK, I didn't want to be heavy handed, but since my sarcasm is apparently buried too deep to be seen with the naked eye, I'll elaborate:

If these kids don't lose a year of elgibility because a desperate coach yanks their redshirt to play after the season goes in the tank (see Bandhauer, Todd), then they'll just end up losing that season of elgibility because they transferred to another program for whatever reason at some point down the road. As long as they're probably going to lose a season anyway, why not play a little and keep it from being a total waste for everyone?

It's a win-win for everyone: The coach will avoid reversing himself on a "character issue" and losing some credibility, and the kid will have some more highlight film to show prospective coaches when he's out there shopping for a new home.

Plus, if the kid gets lucky and has a breakout game, he'll probably get laid because of that performance. I've been out of school for a few years, but I don't seem to remember any hotties throwing themselves at redshirt players as a reward for their "stellar potential".

HAHAHA +1

Chiefs!

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

btw thats a bad *** movie

Chiefs!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

George Roy Hill was a freakin' genius who doesn't get HALF the credit he deserves as a director. "The Sting", "The Great Waldo Pepper" and "Slap Shot" along with "Butch and Sundance" are enough to make up for his bad choice to direct Chevy Chase in "Funny Farm" in '88.