Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Future degree help

alright, so i did a degree audit and realized how close i am to finishing college.

If i maintained my original major and go for a BS in chem, it will only require 30 credits.

I switched to a Chem E. major in hopes to find a higher paying job, but it will require 66 credits.

I'm kind of wondering if i should switch back to get my bs in chem, any advice?

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Future degree help

Well, I'd go with what you're more interested in. If you don't care for the chemical engineering classes and are more interested in in-depth chemistry then I'd switch. But if you like the ChemE classes stick it out and enjoy the time here.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ThePollinator View Post
    Well, I'd go with what you're more interested in. If you don't care for the chemical engineering classes and are more interested in in-depth chemistry then I'd switch. But if you like the ChemE classes stick it out and enjoy the time here.

well, i really like chemistry a lot. Organic 1 and 2 were my favorite classes i've ever taken. The main reason why i switched to ChemE was the money issue. Jobs are currently bad for chem majors, and forecasts say that the job market wont rise for a while for that field

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 242

Quote Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post
    well, i really like chemistry a lot. Organic 1 and 2 were my favorite classes i've ever taken. The main reason why i switched to ChemE was the money issue. Jobs are currently bad for chem majors, and forecasts say that the job market wont rise for a while for that field
    What was the original career you had in mind with your chemistry major?

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ah, personally I currently don't like O-chem that much and like the ChemE classes much more. However I had a buddy in your same situation who loved chemistry and hated ChemE 210, so he switched and always brings up how much money he's losing. In the end though he seems very happy with his choice so far.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ThePollinator View Post
    Ah, personally I currently don't like O-chem that much and like the ChemE classes much more. However I had a buddy in your same situation who loved chemistry and hated ChemE 210, so he switched and always brings up how much money he's losing. In the end though he seems very happy with his choice so far.
    I had a similar friend that went to a small private school for chem and now feels he was misled and wishes he would have gone chem E. However, he didn't have any specific career in mind either he "just liked chemistry".

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    What was the original career you had in mind with your chemistry major?

i really don't know.... I just chose chemistry as a major taking classes simply because i had a knack for it, but realistically i have no clue what i want to do with it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i really don't know.... I just chose chemistry as a major taking classes simply because i had a knack for it, but realistically i have no clue what i want to do with it.
    you may be better going the chem e route then, unless you totally can't stand the classes. To me chemistry only makes more sense if your striving for a career in academia or are planning to apply to pharmacy school or something like that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,439
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 14

I'd go for the ChemE major. You may like Chemistry, but you may not like the sales job you end up with after you graduate.

Have you considered teaching? That would probably keep you in school for as long as the ChemE major, but you could keep your Chem major instead.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 43

If youre planning on switching your major because you want more money and not because you will enjoy it more, IMO, you are heading down the wrong path.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Is there that big of a difference in what you will do upon graduation? The same argument could be made for MIS/Computer Sci. CS is much harder but when you get out of school, the jobs are exactly the same.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cybyassociation View Post
    If youre planning on switching your major because you want more money and not because you will enjoy it more, IMO, you are heading down the wrong path.

which is why im so indecisive. The chances to get hired, and pay is a lot greater as a Chem E.

Bs in chem from what i heard normally requires a masters degree or higher to even approach research. Idk what fields other than that i can use my degree on and might have to get a job doing something else.

Chem E. however, i gotta say the classes blow. It may be because its mainly core classes (calc 3, physics 221, eng 160) but jeeze, i've never had to put so much work in my life, and still getting answers wrong >.<, as hard as im trying, i'm starting to think i'm not cut out for it. Everyone i talked to says its easy because all you have to do is plug in numbers, but for me, without visually seeing it or having a firm grasp of theory behind it, its hard for me to just plug in numbers and think i'm doing it right.

and realistically, i don't know. I wish i had more information on job differences, but i don't know much about it

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

which is why im so indecisive. The chances to get hired, and pay is a lot greater as a Chem E.

Bs in chem from what i heard normally requires a masters degree or higher to even approach research. Idk what fields other than that i can use my degree on and might have to get a job doing something else.

Chem E. however, i gotta say the classes blow. It may be because its mainly core classes (calc 3, physics 221, eng 160) but jeeze, i've never had to put so much work in my life, and still getting answers wrong >.<, as hard as im trying, i'm starting to think i'm not cut out for it. Everyone i talked to says its easy because all you have to do is plug in numbers, but for me, without visually seeing it or having a firm grasp of theory behind it, its hard for me to just plug in numbers and think i'm doing it right.

and realistically, i don't know. I wish i had more information on job differences, but i don't know much about it
    And that is why the classes blow. (although organic was for me the single worst experience of the past 5 years.) Actual ChemEng classes are the best thing in the world. My farvorites have been 357, 382 and 430. Not so much because they're 'easy' but more because I learned so much and they are the kind of class where I can now think about exactly what all the parts and flows in a reactor look like, or what the heat transfer looks like in a heat exchanger. Yes physics is horrible, but then it ends and your get to take cheme courses. Not that all chem e classes are easy. 421 was crazy tough.

Basically it comes down to doing what you like the most.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There is no major that doesn't have hard courses, especially in the sciences. Eventually you will hit a point in chem that you hate your classes as well.