Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Adversity

  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 340,308, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,126
    Points
    340,308
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

    Adversity

    The team was battling this last night...

    - 2 guys out of for the season (Boozer, JVB)
    - 1 guy quits 24 hours prior to the game
    - 1 guy still a bit banged up (Gilstrap)
    - 1 guy emotionally distraught over a family death (Gilstrap)
    - 1 guy that was suspended for being a distraction comes back (debatable if this is adverse)

    Absolutely no excuses, just facts.

    At the onset of the game, I was very pleased with how the guys responded. Unlike in other games where we lose the game in the first 5-8 minutes of the 2nd half - we lost this one in the final 8 or so minutes of the first half. Much of the run from Tech came when Gilstrap was on the bench.

    But I really liked the fight down the stretch, especially from Gilstrap who was hurting emotionally and physically. I liked our effort a lot better in the 2nd half, notably rebounding the ball. Unfortunately every single time we hit a big shot in the 2nd half, they answered just seconds later. In the final 8 minutes, they didn't answer each time and we could chip away at it - but wasn't enough.

    This team is facing enough adversity - we can't dig large holes at any point during the game.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 732,905, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,581
    Points
    732,905
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,861
    Given: 881

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The team was battling this last night...

    - 2 guys out of for the season (Boozer, JVB)
    - 1 guy quits 24 hours prior to the game
    - 1 guy still a bit banged up (Gilstrap)
    - 1 guy emotionally distraught over a family death (Gilstrap)
    - 1 guy that was suspended for being a distraction comes back (debatable if this is adverse)

    Absolutely no excuses, just facts.

    At the onset of the game, I was very pleased with how the guys responded. Unlike in other games where we lose the game in the first 5-8 minutes of the 2nd half - we lost this one in the final 8 or so minutes of the first half. Much of the run from Tech came when Gilstrap was on the bench.

    But I really liked the fight down the stretch, especially from Gilstrap who was hurting emotionally and physically. I liked our effort a lot better in the 2nd half, notably rebounding the ball. Unfortunately every single time we hit a big shot in the 2nd half, they answered just seconds later. In the final 8 minutes, they didn't answer each time and we could chip away at it - but wasn't enough.

    This team is facing enough adversity - we can't dig large holes at any point during the game.
    I agree. There have been some small stretches that have doomed them in most of the losses this year. Take those away, and we are sitting at 16-2 or 15-3, with a much different outlook.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 80,454, Level: 88
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,496
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,066
    Points
    80,454
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 116

    Re: Adversity

    Maybe GM is just bad luck. Let's get the witch doctors in.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 340,308, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,126
    Points
    340,308
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I agree. There have been some small stretches that have doomed them in most of the losses this year. Take those away, and we are sitting at 16-2 or 15-3, with a much different outlook.
    The problem is, they can't be taken away and it's something we do consistently, healthy or not. We frequently at some point in the game, let the other team go on a run that nets them double-digits points.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 47,948, Level: 67
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wesley_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    1,654
    Points
    47,948
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    - 1 guy emotionally distraught over a family death (Gilstrap)
    I really felt for Marquis last night. That had to be a very trying time and I hope he can get back home for at least a couple days to be with his family.


    Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 732,905, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,581
    Points
    732,905
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,861
    Given: 881

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The problem is, they can't be taken away and it's something we do consistently, healthy or not. We frequently at some point in the game, let the other team go on a run that nets them double-digits points.
    I agree, I was offering that as a reason, not as an excuse. I was completely sold on the Floyd/Eustachy theory of valuing possessions, and winning on the defensive end, which makes this a little hard to watch. It seems like they go through key stretches where they either take a few shot completely outside the offense, or where they let the other team score some easy baskets on several possessions in a row.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Adversity

    I just wish Craig would step up and be a leader, but maybe he doesn't have that in him.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 340,308, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,126
    Points
    340,308
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I just wish Craig would step up and be a leader, but maybe he doesn't have that in him.
    There is a line from Bad Santa about wishing that I think applies here.

    But I agree, it would really be nice if this happened. Perhaps he's more of a leader than we can see, hard to tell sometimes when we only see the team for a couple hours on TV. But during those times, it's not very obvious (with exception to the Texas game which I felt he was a great leader on the court).



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 20,469, Level: 43
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    akclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    515
    Posts
    1,020
    Points
    20,469
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The team was battling this last night...

    - 2 guys out of for the season (Boozer, JVB)
    - 1 guy quits 24 hours prior to the game
    - 1 guy still a bit banged up (Gilstrap)
    - 1 guy emotionally distraught over a family death (Gilstrap)
    - 1 guy that was suspended for being a distraction comes back (debatable if this is adverse)

    Absolutely no excuses, just facts.

    At the onset of the game, I was very pleased with how the guys responded. Unlike in other games where we lose the game in the first 5-8 minutes of the 2nd half - we lost this one in the final 8 or so minutes of the first half. Much of the run from Tech came when Gilstrap was on the bench.

    But I really liked the fight down the stretch, especially from Gilstrap who was hurting emotionally and physically. I liked our effort a lot better in the 2nd half, notably rebounding the ball. Unfortunately every single time we hit a big shot in the 2nd half, they answered just seconds later. In the final 8 minutes, they didn't answer each time and we could chip away at it - but wasn't enough.

    This team is facing enough adversity - we can't dig large holes at any point during the game.
    I agree. A little better free throw shooting, tech missing just 1 more 3 pointer, and some help from our coach we probably could have won. Effort was there at the end. They kept fighting.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 167,672, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,752
    Points
    167,672
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 1,682

    Re: Adversity

    Our effort was there IMO.

    The freaking midget PG from Tech was just killer. Some of the shots he was making were ridiculous and he and that other guard burying HUGE 3's cost us the game. Well, that and FT shooting and ****-poor rebounding.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 332,128, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    19,176
    Points
    332,128
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 996
    Given: 1,829

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post
    I agree. A little better free throw shooting, tech missing just 1 more 3 pointer, and some help from our coach we probably could have won. Effort was there at the end. They kept fighting.
    And that damn 15 foot fade away their big guy hit at the end of the shot clock. That's the one that killed me.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 167,672, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,752
    Points
    167,672
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 1,682

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    And that damn 15 foot fade away their big guy hit at the end of the shot clock. That's the one that killed me.
    That dude didn't miss anything.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 340,308, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,126
    Points
    340,308
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

    Re: Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post
    I agree. A little better free throw shooting, tech missing just 1 more 3 pointer, and some help from our coach we probably could have won. Effort was there at the end. They kept fighting.
    I'm not convinced Greg is blameless in the Lucca situation.

    However, looking at last night and what the team faced (as noted in my original post), I have to give Greg and the staff credit to get these guys in the right frame of mind to play a competitive basketball game.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 332,128, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    19,176
    Points
    332,128
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 996
    Given: 1,829

    Re: Adversity

    Looking at the box score, Gilstrap had as good of a game as I've seen in a long time: 19 pts, 12 rebs, 2 assts, 2 blks , 2 steals, O turnovers.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Adversity

    No matter what happens, there is NO EXCUSE for lack of effort. NONE. These kids have the privilege to play basketball on a national stage.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM