Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

To those of you who favor Colvin remaining suspended...

Please spare the rest of us your indignation at the thought of the suspension being lifted. There is no coach in the country that has as much integrity as McDermott - so much integrity that it makes it hard for him to compete in the dirty world of college basketball recruiting.

You act as though the situation is black and white. Well it's not. Consider the following:
    • Colvin, by all accounts, has been a changed man since the suspension. He's done all the right things and then some.
    • Since the suspension was enforced, we've lost Boozer to a season ending injury and Lucca abondons the team without notice.
    • As a coach, you have to consider the rest of the guys on the team. Do you want all of their efforts to go for not?
    Does allowing Colvin and early release for good behavior mean Mac has given up his principles? No, it means he's considering the entire situation and taking into consideration the welfare of ALL the players on his team.

Allowing Colvin to return to the floor a few weeks early is not necessarily going to make a huge difference, but it would certainly help our chances of winning winable games. The situation is very complicated and mo matter what Mac decides, he's going to be criticized. If he does stick to his guns and keeps Colvin on the bench for two more weeks, I can only imagine how many of you will be jumping on the "fire Mac" bandwagon because he's lost too many games.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 387

Re: To those of you who favor Colvin remaining suspended...

I think if Colvin comes off suspension we will be fine. Up until this point he believed he wouldnt play so the point was made. He may have lucked out and should use this opportunity to play his game and show he was worth the trouble.

Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,359
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 50

I think the only way he is reinstated is if 2 things happen:

1. He really is a changed person - we see him acting like a chearleader but we are not around him in practice and off the court to see if he really is changed.

2. Brackins, DG, and MG need to go to coach Mac and request that he be reinstated. That way it takes it off his hands, Mac can go to the media and say that his team captains and leaders said that CC learned his lesson and deserves to be reinstated. This way Mac doesn't look like a softie, but a great players coach that will take advice from his team's leaders.

I think brackins deserves every shot he can get to make the tourney so his decision to come back to ISU is not wasted.

Legend
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 176

Mac said:
    I got in this profession because I love to coach basketball and I love to help young people grow. If winning ever gets in the way of that, then I’ve got to get out of it. This young man needs to grow up and if it costs me a couple of wins along the way, then so be it.
    If he decides now that winning is more important and lifts Colvins suspension, he will look like a desperate hypocrite and will get ripped by all interested media outlets.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 20

11 more days is too long to wait? buckley and diante can't handle it?

i didn't realize lucca was a point guard

Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,359
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    11 more days is too long to wait? buckley and diante can't handle it?

i didn't realize lucca was a point guard
    somone will need to move the 2 guard.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Mac said:
    If he decides now that winning is more important and lifts Colvins suspension, he will look like a desperate hypocrite and will get ripped by all interested media outlets.
    Bingo.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

Mac said:

Just remember that statement was made when Boozer and Staiger were still available leaving us with 9 scholarship players.

In the most current situation with only 7 scholarship players, is it fair to guys like Garrett/Brackins/Dendy to not reassess the situation for what is best for all parties involved? If Colvin has indeed changed and the people closest to the situation all agree it is acceptable to lift the suspension, so be it.

I am not the one to make the decision. That has to come from the coaching staff and players. Quite frankly if I am Gmac, I could give a rat's *** less what message board posters think. It is all about the what the team believes is the correct decision.

Last edited by CTAClone; 01-20-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: filter violation

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    Please spare the rest of us your indignation at the thought of the suspension being lifted. There is no coach in the country that has as much integrity as McDermott - so much integrity that it makes it hard for him to compete in the dirty world of college basketball recruiting.

You act as though the situation is black and white. Well it's not. Consider the following:
    • Colvin, by all accounts, has been a changed man since the suspension. He's done all the right things and then some.
    • Since the suspension was enforced, we've lost Boozer to a season ending injury and Lucca abondons the team without notice.
    • As a coach, you have to consider the rest of the guys on the team. Do you want all of their efforts to go for not?
    Does allowing Colvin and early release for good behavior mean Mac has given up his principles? No, it means he's considering the entire situation and taking into consideration the welfare of ALL the players on his team.

Allowing Colvin to return to the floor a few weeks early is not necessarily going to make a huge difference, but it would certainly help our chances of winning winable games. The situation is very complicated and mo matter what Mac decides, he's going to be criticized. If he does stick to his guns and keeps Colvin on the bench for two more weeks, I can only imagine how many of you will be jumping on the "fire Mac" bandwagon because he's lost too many games.
    Completely disagree. You said he'd be susupended until Feb. 1st. That was the sentance for the crime... he has to serve the sentance.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 112

Mac said:
    Well, he should be desperate. If he doesn't show desperation now, when will he? The media might rip him a new one, but showing that kind of will to win, and realistic acknowledgement of what that takes would impress me.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mac said:
    But it's not about wins and losses anymore, its about being able to field a team. By all accounts the guy has been A+ since the suspension. With 7 people, you are a twisted ankle and a couple of fouls away from being in deep trouble.

The other options don't seem fair either. Can you really take away a redshirt from someone in the middle of the year? There is no good answer in this situation, but I wouldn't blame Mac for any decision they make.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 387

Mac said:

Oh Im sure Colvin will continue to sit. Its not very much longer anyway.

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 28

Mac said:
    Winning is what brings people to games, puts the team in a tourney and saves Mac's job. Unless cheating is involved winning is all that matters. A scathing article from the Register, likely written by a hawk fan, shouldn't keep Mac from putting Colvin back in for having a bad attitude.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't disagree with your points. McD has a team to run, but does he need Colvin back to fill the hole? Colvin, Buckley and Garrett are all geared to be PG's. I'm not sure any of the three would work well as a 2. Christopherson is going to have to step up big; that's pretty obvious. Garrett and Buckley will more than likely split time and the point, and rotate to the 2 from time to time to give SC a breather. Having Colvin back would make things a little easier, but maybe not enough to go back on his punishment.

This is the shot Christopherson came here to get. Now it's time for him to shine. He looked great in the first 8-10 games, hopefully he can shake off his little funk and make us wonder why he hasn't been starting all season.

Legend
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by galactawitz View Post
    But it's not about wins and losses anymore, its about being able to field a team. By all accounts the guy has been A+ since the suspension. With 7 people, you are a twisted ankle and a couple of fouls away from being in deep trouble.

The other options don't seem fair either. Can you really take away a redshirt from someone in the middle of the year? There is no good answer in this situation, but I wouldn't blame Mac for any decision they make.
    If ISU is faced with the situation where they will have to forfeit a game, pull a redshirt or let Colvin play, Mac should then let colvin play. Until then, Colvin should sit.