Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Cell Phone Internet

Reconsidering our cell phone plan and one possibility includes a family everything data plan from sprint. Any input on Sprint coverage? Comments on cell phone internet? Can I watch Clone Zone, read CF, access my office Outlook, and make a phone call?

Weve got a pretty good football conference, and weve got a pretty good conference overall. Were still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that. Paul Rhoads

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 908
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 46

Re: Cell Phone Internet

I can do all of those things with Sprint. NFL Mobile is the best part of it. That said, Sprint isn't the best. It isn't horrible, but it isn't stellar either. The coverage is much better since they merged with Nextel. I'm actually thinking of switching to Verizon. Have to decide if I don't want NFL Mobile.

Last edited by pulse; 01-18-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Nextel coverage has little to nothing to do with Sprint coverage. They use entirely different technology. A nextel phone won't work on the PCS network and vice-versa.

I have sprint and it's fine. I rarely have signal problems, but their 3G network isn't as good as Verizon's coverage-wise, in Iowa at least. In the country, there's a good chance you'll be at 1xRTT. Where you have 3G coverage, the speed is very reasonable. As for phone coverage, it's every bit as good as Verizon's, since they can share networks. I actually have slightly better Sprint coverage at home and work than I did with Verizon. YMMV, though.

You can do most of those things. I don't know about CloneZone. If it's flash-based, and you have a flash-enabled phone (in the next month I know the Palm Pre will have flash. dunno about the HTC hero), it might work. Outlook at your office is up to your office sysads. If you can get to webmail from home, there's a good chance it'll work though.

I would definitely NOT use it for my primary internet. It's probably fast enough, but you've got about a 5GB/month limit before they start casting a watchful eye on your account. Also, Sprint doesn't offer tethering on most (or any, for that matter) of their phones, so you'll have to hack it to get it to work, unless you're just talking about using the phone on it's own.

You can do all that stuff and make a phone call as long as the phone is on wireless. A call on the phone while it's just on 3G will stop data on the phone until the call is over.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when its good, its the best." - woot.com

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

I'm looking to do the same thing with Verizon. It looks like they have either 25MB for $10 per month or unlimited for $30. How much is 25 MB (i.e. is there a way to describe the amount based on common usage)?

Recruit
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
    I'm looking to do the same thing with Verizon. It looks like they have either 25MB for $10 per month or unlimited for $30. How much is 25 MB (i.e. is there a way to describe the amount based on common usage)?
    Just to give you an idea, on my last bill I used 225mb. I have my phone synced with my Exchange email account at work, my personal Gmail acct, etc. I use my phone for a little bit of web browsing and very occasional streaming of music from Pandora. If I were using my phone heavily for streaming I'd expect to easily double or triple that amount of data.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

I have sprint, and I would recommend it. I've never been in a place where I couldn't make/receive calls, but in some places my internet won't work if I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Price wise, you really can't beat it. I think their unlimited everything (minus minutes), 450 minute plan is $70/month... You would really have to be trying to reach the 450 minute limit, since you can call any mobile phone without it going against that count, unless you call a lot of landlines... and on top of that, it's fairly easy to get discounts applied to your account, so in the end you'll probably be paying sub-$60 after taxes and fees.