Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Musical Point Guard: Part 2

You may ask, where was Part 1? I simply point you to the 2006/2007 basketball season in Ames. Mike, Corey and Dodie all handled the point at times. None with great effectiveness and skill.

I could make a case that Mike was the best all-around especially against tough competition. Or I could state that while not great, Corey was the most stable by making the least mistakes. Dodie, well hes just not a point guard yet did play it some early in the season.

On to Part 2, the 2007/2008 season.

Corey? Transferred out.
    Mike? In trouble with the law and who knows what his status will be. Hes not even suited for the point, a much better shooting guard.
    Dodie? Rumors are another point guard is leaving and it may or may not be him. Again though, is he even a point guard? I dont think so.

So yet again, it looks like well enter the basketball season without an experienced point guard bringing along a couple young/inexperienced guys to handle the point in the Big 12. Im so excited, I think Ill vomit.

No, my stomach isnt lurching at the recruits we have coming in. Theyre quite soothing on the stomach their potential that is. Ive yet to see them play at this level no one has even themselves. That makes my stomach do flip-flops.

Was Corey great? No. Was he good? Rarely. However, those rare flashes of goodness did occur later in the season. Leaving me with home wed enter the 2nd season of the G-Mac era with an experienced point guard, a shooting guard that could handle the point and a couple recruits with nice potential Greg could bring along at his own pace.

Instead? Its too the wolves, fellas. Ya best be nimble and smart or youll get bit. In the Big 12, when the wolves get a taste of blood, their hunger only increases.

Garrett, Brister and Staiger. The 3 incoming guards that many have tabbed to have the most potential. Seems all 3 will be seeing more minutes right out of the gate than anyone had planned. You could make a case that Garrett would assume the starting point guard position from Day 1. Id contend that he could yet it would be more ideal if Corey started there and if beaten out, gave way to Garrett. Its moot, as ideal is no more.

From what Ive read, I dont think Staiger is suited for the point. Some wonder if Brister is. Well find out soon enough.

These young kids have some great potential. However, potential is just a short way of saying, you havent done anything yet.

More uncertainty for ISU basketball. I was hoping to go into the season having a better gauge on what wed look like and some decent depth.

HA! The Cyclone roller-coaster ride continues...much to the chagrin of my uneasy stomach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Musical Point Guard: Part 2

Staiger isn't a PG, he is definately a SG.

CMac has experience, what he doesn't have is size and that much skill. Not really worried about losing him. And Dunson is a great guy, but didn't show a lot this season. I know he was a freshman, but he had a long way to go.

If Taylor and Dunson are both gone also, I would be really really excited to see what Garrett, Brister AND Boozer could do at the point. Because if we lose all 3 guards, I think Boozer will definately see the court alittle bit.

How can anyone not be excited for next year, I know we're going to be young but this is the year rebuilding starts. Last year was just a year to get through. Now with McDermott's first REAL recruiting class, we can get down to business.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Staiger actually looks suited to play the 3 eventually. He is 6-5 and 215 right now, and Coach McD I believe is an expert in teaching guys how to work a little post. Staiger could be that swingman we have out there that can play from the corner, along the baseline, and down to the hoop. He's a shooter that could be a lot more for us.

As of right now, with our current guard situation, there is no one but Garrett that should start point in my opinion.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    Staiger actually looks suited to play the 3 eventually. He is 6-5 and 215 right now, and Coach McD I believe is an expert in teaching guys how to work a little post. Staiger could be that swingman we have out there that can play from the corner, along the baseline, and down to the hoop. He's a shooter that could be a lot more for us.

As of right now, with our current guard situation, there is no one but Garrett that should start point in my opinion.
    I've also heard that Staiger could end up a 3, but the thought of him at the 2 makes me salivate. This is a potential lineup for 2008:

PG - Garrett (6'4")
    SG - Staiger (6'5")
    SF - Johnson (6'7")
    PF - Brackins/Thompson (6'10")
    C - Thompson/Brackins (6'10")

How many college teams field a lineup where their shortest player is 6'4"? This is all dependent on if Garrett is more of a point guard than a shooting guard and Staiger a 2 rather than a 3, but the potential for that sounds awesome.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Exactly folks. We really only have one true PG once again. And again, it's a new player.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

22, I couldn't agree more. My stomach is also a little knotted just thinking about starting freshmen again...but I'm also cautiously optimistic. Attrition in the back court can kill any program, especially one "rebuilding" like we are, but I honestly believe the kids coming in have much more potential than the class we signed last year. It might hurt a little in the W column for next year, but I think that come 2008 or 2009 the experience these new guards are going to get next year will be invaluable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    I've also heard that Staiger could end up a 3, but the thought of him at the 2 makes me salivate. This is a potential lineup for 2008:

PG - Garrett (6'4")
    SG - Staiger (6'5")
    SF - Johnson (6'7")
    PF - Brackins/Thompson (6'10")
    C - Thompson/Brackins (6'10")

No Jiri?

Edit* 2008 - nm

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Excellent points Seth, I was nodding my head reading your entire post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Can't wait for another fun year of the Capital City League and seeing new faces.

Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I dont want to leave any of that behind. - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Dont forget R. Clark or Hubalek..both will be seniors

PG: Garrett
    SG: W. Johnston
    SF: R. Clark
    PF: Brackins/ Thompson
    C: Hubalek

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

This is why I was so bummed out to hear about guys leaving, it creates a whole new environment again. Clearly last year was a year that we were just trying to get through.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    How many college teams field a lineup where their shortest player is 6'4"? This is all dependent on if Garrett is more of a point guard than a shooting guard and Staiger a 2 rather than a 3, but the potential for that sounds awesome.
    Don't mean to totally dog you, but I think height is totally overrated unless we're talking about playing in the NBA. Watching Oregon, I wish we had small, explosive players like them. They essentially had two Will Blalocks (Jajuan Porter and Aaron Brooks) that could finish dribble drives; it doesn't seem like we've had anything like that since Terry Woods back in the 80s.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Can't wait for another fun year of the Capital City League and seeing new faces.
    Brackins has stated that he plans to be here this summer for the Capital City League!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 343
    Given: 268

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    You may ask, where was Part 1? I simply point you to the 2006/2007 basketball season in Ames. Mike, Corey and Dodie all handled the point at times. None with great effectiveness and skill.

I could make a case that Mike was the best all-around especially against tough competition. Or I could state that while not great, Corey was the most stable by making the least mistakes. Dodie, well hes just not a point guard yet did play it some early in the season.

On to Part 2, the 2007/2008 season.

Corey? Transferred out.
    Mike? In trouble with the law and who knows what his status will be. Hes not even suited for the point, a much better shooting guard.
    Dodie? Rumors are another point guard is leaving and it may or may not be him. Again though, is he even a point guard? I dont think so.

So yet again, it looks like well enter the basketball season without an experienced point guard bringing along a couple young/inexperienced guys to handle the point in the Big 12. Im so excited, I think Ill vomit.

No, my stomach isnt lurching at the recruits we have coming in. Theyre quite soothing on the stomach their potential that is. Ive yet to see them play at this level no one has even themselves. That makes my stomach do flip-flops.

Was Corey great? No. Was he good? Rarely. However, those rare flashes of goodness did occur later in the season. Leaving me with home wed enter the 2nd season of the G-Mac era with an experienced point guard, a shooting guard that could handle the point and a couple recruits with nice potential Greg could bring along at his own pace.

Instead? Its too the wolves, fellas. Ya best be nimble and smart or youll get bit. In the Big 12, when the wolves get a taste of blood, their hunger only increases.

Garrett, Brister and Staiger. The 3 incoming guards that many have tabbed to have the most potential. Seems all 3 will be seeing more minutes right out of the gate than anyone had planned. You could make a case that Garrett would assume the starting point guard position from Day 1. Id contend that he could yet it would be more ideal if Corey started there and if beaten out, gave way to Garrett. Its moot, as ideal is no more.

From what Ive read, I dont think Staiger is suited for the point. Some wonder if Brister is. Well find out soon enough.

These young kids have some great potential. However, potential is just a short way of saying, you havent done anything yet.

More uncertainty for ISU basketball. I was hoping to go into the season having a better gauge on what wed look like and some decent depth.

HA! The Cyclone roller-coaster ride continues...much to the chagrin of my uneasy stomach.
    Looks like Big 12 is use to freshman guards making an impact. Sign of the economic times.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

Hopefully when Buckley gets here, we won't have to worry about a point guard anymore. IMHO, he's the point guard of the future for Iowa State basketball.