Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Re: Underage Bar Entry - Ames vs Iowa City

They've opened a few smokeless bars here in town and they've been a big hit. That's where I go the few times I go out anymore...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    The legal drinking age in the State of Iowa is 21. In Ames, the legal age to enter a "bar" is 21. In Iowa City, 19 & 20 year-olds are allowed in "bars" (defined as more than 50% of proceeds are derived from sale of beer or alcohol), but they're not allowed to drink. <winkwink>

A recent provost's survey indicated that 70% of EIU freshmen and sophomores had engaged in "binge drinking" within the two-week period prior to which they took the survey. It's no secret that there is a serious drinking problem amongst students of all ages at EIU. A local group is considering a ballot initiative to change city code whereby bar access after 10PM would be denied those not of legal age (21).

What are the thoughts of present and former ISU students on the requirement to be 21 to enter a bar in Ames? Were you denied an active social life at the ages of 19 & 20? Did it lead to more off-campus house parties where underage drinking was rampant? In short, what were the negatives to having a "21 Law" in Ames?
    I can answer this, the law will never change as long as Ames has a police department. Their take is if you allow underage people in, they will drink. As unpopular as that is with students, we all know its completely true. I went to bars underage, but not on a regular basis. Well, I guess it depended on the bar

Not being able to get into bars doesn't deny one of an active social life. Finding parties to go to was never an issue. If you know lots of people and have fun friends, deciding which party to go to first and which ones you were going to go to was the only problem there was.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

Well the Ames laws make it easy:

1.) Rent house within walking distance of campus.
    2.) Buy kegs.
    3.) Leak the news in the dorms.
    4.) Make money.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

A few observations:
    Personally, I think the law in Ames for bar admittance should be 20 at first, and then lowered to 19 years of age later, which would allow time for more bars to open up to accomdate more patrons. I myself am a 19 yeare old freshman. Not getting into Ames bars doesn't deter me from drinking as I always know of at least one house party. Drinking in the dorms isn't that bad either, especially when you have friendly RA's. The fact of the matter is, 19 and 20 year olds will drink once in the bars. I go to Iowa City and Cedar Rapids about once a month and always go to the bars. I do this simply because that's where everybody is, and most places have actualy dance floors. You can't really dance at a house party, and especially when the place is a craphole. My conclusion on this issue is that the younger kids should be allowed in, as it would increase bar revenue, which in turn leads to more bars, and more tax revenue for the city of Ames. Don't forget about PAULA's, since those are 300 bucks a pop. If I were the city of Ames I would get rid of the 21 ordinance simply for monetary reasons, but as always, Ames thinks it could survive without ISU here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Question Re: Underage Bar Entry - Ames vs Iowa City

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    Well the Ames laws make it easy:

1.) Rent house within walking distance of campus.
    2.) Buy kegs.
    3.) Leak the news in the dorms.
    4.) Make money.
    The state is very close to passing a keg registration law which will make the purchasor of said keg responsible for some pretty serious stuff. Of course that will require the police department to crack down on house parties.

You guys are helping me out immensely with your input. I'm gathering that unregulated house parties are presently the norm in Ames (as they were when I was at ISU) and further that the police department doesn't get involved in busting them. Yes or No?

Have the unregulated house parties resulted in any recent violent crime, serious injuries or death?

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

We used to host a lot of parties, and we had no fewer than 6 get broken up by the cops. We were issued a grand total of 0 citations.

Basically they just clear out the party and every now and then give out some MiP's.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I've seen my share of drunken fights, but usually you never hear of anything real serious except for last year when that girl (who was drunk herself) got killed by a drunk driver from West Ames. The purchasers of the alcohol are currently getting the book thrown at them.

Other than that, nothing too bad goes down except for the keg running dry.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,421
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

I had several keg parties in ames while I was there too. During 2 of them the cops came. Once cause we set off some fireworks in the middle school's football field, at that time we had about 15-20 gallons of jungle juice and not a keg. It was mine and a friends birthday party, I offered the cops a cup(while being completely tanked ) they left and no trouble and they did not break up the party.

Second one was during the latest veisha riots we had a keg there. Set a bomb fire in the backyard, someone called the police fire department came we put out the fire they left no citations at all. No broken up party.

Now I have been at several parties where they have been busted, and I know 1 person that got a bootlegging citation once. But if you keep your house party under control, and people out of the front yard you won't get busted.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    The state is very close to passing a keg registration law which will make the purchasor of said keg responsible for some pretty serious stuff. Of course that will require the police department to crack down on house parties.

You guys are helping me out immensely with your input. I'm gathering that unregulated house parties are presently the norm in Ames (as they were when I was at ISU) and further that the police department doesn't get involved in busting them. Yes or No?

Have the unregulated house parties resulted in any recent violent crime, serious injuries or death?
    The only serious crime or death was from a drunk driver hitting a pedestrian last fall I think. Other than that, there hasn't been anything about something happening that only started because of a house party.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Legal drinking age in America should be 18.

You can fight and DIE for your country, but no no no, can't have a drink of alcohol, that would be terrible!

I really wish there would be a major political push for the 21 age to change, but I know it would be hard to do. Of course there would be a lot of people 18-20 who immediately go out and drink because it is legal, but give it a few years and it will be just like it was when the age was 21. It is my opinion that 18 is a much better age for the transition than 21 because it is the dividing age between high school and college, and between adolescence and adulthood. I have personally lost out on social activities because friends decided to go to the bars and I couldn't because I wasn't 21 (I'm 19). Is it a huge deal? No, I'll find a way to drink now anyways. Why is it fair to label 18-20 year olds as criminals if all they want to do is have a few drinks and have a good time? There are far more important things for our law enforcement and legal system to handle than worrying about a young adult who happened to get caught drinking because he wasn't 21.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I thought they already have some kind of keg registration in place. Or at least Polk county does. Last few kegs I've bought they have a "do not remove under penalty of law" sticker with a bar code on it that they associate with your information.

Doesn't bother me because I'm not buying for underage parties at age 27 these days. Basically in Ames you can have a party and not be bothered by the cops as long as you aren't being stupid about it. Knowing your neighbors or inviting them to the party was the best way of not having one of them call the cops on you. Let them know if they have a problem to confront you first. Keep the party out of public view and if you were in an apartment complex keep the noise down later in the night and no one should bother you. If you have a party spilling outside and the people a block away can hear you, chances are you'll probably have some unwelcomed visitors in uniform stop by before the night is over.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Legal drinking age in America should be 18.

You can fight and DIE for your country, but no no no, can't have a drink of alcohol, that would be terrible!
    This is somewhat true. If you are stationed overseas you can both drink and die for your country. It's only in the states that you can't drink.

To be honest, who really cares about the age limit? I don't. It didn't stop me from drinking when I was under 21 and I never once was in a position to get an MIP or some alcohol-related citation. There are other things in life more worth worrying about then what the age limit should be. The only people that seem to make the biggest deal about this are people under or near the age of 21.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the over-under law is one reason the Iowa City bar scene is possibly "better". I remember going to the Union Station, years ago, and seeing all of the younger looking single women. Also, the IC bars are concentrated in their centralized pedmall downtown/campus town. Ames has split downtown/mainstreet and campus town areas, which force you to drive.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 57

"Binge Drinking" is the same as "big Tabbaco", "Big Oil" and the rest of the things they call it when they want you to think of it as really bad. "binge drinking" is basically going out and getting drunk.

Sorry just had to rant. I hate when they try and make things sound a lot worse than what they are.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Anybody noticed the difference in maturity between a typical IC bar goer and an Ames bar goer? It's not even close. And I'm not necessarily talking about drinking either. Once you hit 21, the nightlife experience is better in a place where you've had to "earn" your way in.