Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cool Any Franchise Owners Out There?

I'm currently doing some research on franchise ownership. Specifically, a fitness center like Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness, etc...

Anyone have any experience with franchises or know someone who does?

King James

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 14

Re: Any Franchise Owners Out There?

No franchise owner here, but i'm glad as **** you aren't from quixtar

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

I'm currently a director of a sports performance training facility, Athletic Republic, which is a franchise.
    Definitely a good business to get into (actually a lot of big name fitness facilities are) if you have money or can get a loan to open one up. It has its positives and negatives. The main positive would be buying the known name of the company so marketing and advertising are easier. The main negative is paying the royalty fee for using that name.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I'm currently a director of a sports performance training facility, Athletic Republic, which is a franchise.
    Definitely a good business to get into (actually a lot of big name fitness facilities are) if you have money or can get a loan to open one up. It has its positives and negatives. The main positive would be buying the known name of the company so marketing and advertising are easier. The main negative is paying the royalty fee for using that name.
    Nice, like the one in Naperville and near North Chicago?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Nice, like the one in Naperville and near North Chicago?
    I don't work at specifically that one, but yeah, the same franchise as those.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't work at specifically that one, but yeah, the same franchise as those.
    Good. I'm glad there's training facilities like yours. There's nothing worse than a kid who bench presses 95% of his workout time and thinks it's going to help him be a better wide receiver.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good. I'm glad there's training facilities like yours. There's nothing worse than a kid who bench presses 95% of his workout time and thinks it's going to help him be a better wide receiver.
    Yes, exactly. We get all types of those kids in here. They don't realize how important speed, quickness, and "sport specific" movements are.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, exactly. We get all types of those kids in here. They don't realize how important speed, quickness, and "sport specific" movements are.
    Yes, sad isn't it? They come out of your training thinking differently though correct? Not to mention too, doing more functional sport specific movements have a higher performance output than say...lying still on a bench while you lower and raise a symmetric dead-weight object above your chest.

I unofficially used to train a few ISU football players for a little bit and I can't tell you how sad it is that even they wasted most of their time doing useless exercises and were semi out of shape when it came to any sort of real exercise more than just running.

It's like the USC Running Back Stafon Johnson going for a new max on his bench press and then dropping it on his neck and crushing his trachea. Shouldn't he be working more on developing more fast twitch fibers? I'm not really sure how getting a new 1RM for bench press will help him run through the hole and block while standing up moving laterally.

Maybe I'm just bitter.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, sad isn't it? They come out of your training thinking differently though correct? Not to mention too, doing more functional sport specific movements have a higher performance output than say...lying still on a bench while you lower and raise a symmetric dead-weight object above your chest.

I unofficially used to train a few ISU football players for a little bit and I can't tell you how sad it is that even they wasted most of their time doing useless exercises and were semi out of shape when it came to any sort of real exercise more than just running.

It's like the USC Running Back Stafon Johnson going for a new max on his bench press and then dropping it on his neck and crushing his trachea. Shouldn't he be working more on developing more fast twitch fibers? I'm not really sure how getting a new 1RM for bench press will help him run through the hole and block while standing up moving laterally.

Maybe I'm just bitter.
    Correct. Even the parents come in telling me how great of an athlete their kid is going to be because he can bench press his body weight. I then proceed to ask how he is at cleaning or squatting, and they always give me a confused look on their face, like a "wtf is that" look.
    A lot of them don't realize that having powerful and explosive hips are more important than how big your biceps are. Everything you do originates from your hips and core.
    While bench press is still a good lift to do and be strong at, its more important to have a powerful base. Some of the high school S&C coaches around here seem to be all obsessed with the bench press and a lot of upper body movements. While those are good, they aren't pushing the importance of your olympic style, more complex lifting movements enough.

To the OP: sorry we are derailing your thread. haha ;)

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Correct. Even the parents come in telling me how great of an athlete their kid is going to be because he can bench press his body weight. I then proceed to ask how he is at cleaning or squatting, and they always give me a confused look on their face, like a "wtf is that" look.
    A lot of them don't realize that having powerful and explosive hips are more important than how big your biceps are. Everything you do originates from your hips and core.
    While bench press is still a good lift to do and be strong at, its more important to have a powerful base. Some of the high school S&C coaches around here seem to be all obsessed with the bench press and a lot of upper body movements. While those are good, they aren't pushing the importance of your olympic style, more complex lifting movements enough.

That's hilarious..yes, any exercise which uses many muscles all at once in conjunction is going to be great if you do it correctly. It's great how many people think their bench press number directly translates to how strong they are overall. Kind of odd. Good exercise if you do it correctly, but I think you need tons more than just that.

I agree about hips and core very much..considering almost every movement you do goes through the core and then hips if your legs are even in the least bit involved, that too..so very important. Not only that, but say for the core since your ab unit directly attaches to your back...and then you can go on with the chain there. I used to compete in gymnastics (amongst 10,000 other sports) so it's always hilarious listening to outsiders talk about this stuff like they think we are only strong in our upper bodies or something when 98% of the **** we do goes through the legs, into the hips, and into the core and without strong legs/hips/core..nothing we would do would even work. The training we do is almost completely by practicing apparatus too so just looking sport by sport it's VERY interesting to see how each athlete trains for performance. Like when I played baseball in HS, I barely did anything via training except the gym once or twice a week.

And yeah, bench press is still good in moderation but IMO doing it all the time is pretty weird. Not to mention a lot of people have incorrect form or they go down too far with the bar in relation to their arm length, which is why their shoulders look like **** to begin with like they're an ape.

Hey, I'm glad I found someone else on here who knows what they're talking about with athletic training...

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah sorry for hijacking the thread..

Starter
    Thumbs Up

whats the norm for clinging/squatting at 147?

my bench 8 reps is 135
    squats is 275 x 8
    cleans is 125 x8

i never knew if that was below average, average, or above. I'm assuming its average

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's hilarious..yes, any exercise which uses many muscles all at once in conjunction is going to be great if you do it correctly. It's great how many people think their bench press number directly translates to how strong they are overall. Kind of odd. Good exercise if you do it correctly, but I think you need tons more than just that.

I agree about hips and core very much..considering almost every movement you do goes through the core and then hips if your legs are even in the least bit involved, that too..so very important. Not only that, but say for the core since your ab unit directly attaches to your back...and then you can go on with the chain there. I used to compete in gymnastics (amongst 10,000 other sports) so it's always hilarious listening to outsiders talk about this stuff like they think we are only strong in our upper bodies or something when 98% of the **** we do goes through the legs, into the hips, and into the core and without strong legs/hips/core..nothing we would do would even work. The training we do is almost completely by practicing apparatus too so just looking sport by sport it's VERY interesting to see how each athlete trains for performance. Like when I played baseball in HS, I barely did anything via training except the gym once or twice a week.

And yeah, bench press is still good in moderation but IMO doing it all the time is pretty weird. Not to mention a lot of people have incorrect form or they go down too far with the bar in relation to their arm length, which is why their shoulders look like **** to begin with like they're an ape.

Hey, I'm glad I found someone else on here who knows what they're talking about with athletic training...
    Couldn't agree more with that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post
    whats the norm for clinging/squatting at 147?

my bench 8 reps is 135
    squats is 275 x 8
    cleans is 125 x8

i never knew if that was below average, average, or above. I'm assuming its average
    It's really tough to give out "norms" for weight lifting. It depends on if you are an athlete or just a regular person lifting weights, age, etc.
    If you were a college athlete, those numbers would be bad. If you were just some regular person, your squats is good. Just by looking at those numbers, your cleans need some improvement.
    Some advice though, I would not go any higher than 8 reps on your cleans. I like to keep my cleans and deadlifts below 6 reps. Just because the chance for injury is greater in those complex movements, especially ones involving precise form in your lower back. Cleaning is more of a lift to develop explosive power and in order to do that, you want to keep the reps in the 3-6 range, focusing on fast/explosive movement.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

It's really tough to give out "norms" for weight lifting. It depends on if you are an athlete or just a regular person lifting weights, age, etc.
    If you were a college athlete, those numbers would be bad. If you were just some regular person, your squats is good. Just by looking at those numbers, your cleans need some improvement.
    Some advice though, I would not go any higher than 8 reps on your cleans. I like to keep my cleans and deadlifts below 6 reps. Just because the chance for injury is greater in those complex movements, especially ones involving precise form in your lower back. Cleaning is more of a lift to develop explosive power and in order to do that, you want to keep the reps in the 3-6 range, focusing on fast/explosive movement.

meh, i never worked out since august, and never done cleans for a year :P, starting again though simply because its right next to my room

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post
    meh, i never worked out since august, and never done cleans for a year :P, starting again though simply because its right next to my room
    If you just started, then yeah, those are some good numbers. Keep in mind though, its better to have good form than good numbers. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when I see somebody tossing on huge amounts of weight and then doing it half assed. (i.e. putting on 405 lbs on a squat and then going down about 10 inches and calling it a good lift) don't be one of those.