First Utes vs. Cyclones tonight!
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

First Utes vs. Cyclones tonight!

Hey Cyclones, nice win in the bowl game. Tonight we're hosting you in gymnastics, so for those of you folks in town for the meet here are some recommendations. Contrary to popular belief, there is alcohol in them dar Utah hills, and great food to boot.

Where to go in Downtown Salt Lake City, Google these places for addresses, but they're all within walking distance of one another. Most of these places will not have a cover charge, but they will scan your I.D. so we can send LDS missionaries to your house afterwards to tell you about the evils of partaking in the fire water. They won't let you in if you don't have I.D.

There are no more kooky liqour laws (private club membership, reach around pat down, boobie checks, etc.), however, the draft beer alcohol content is 3.2% and bottled beer is 'regular', depending on brand. Liqour is dispensed at either a one ounce or 1.5 ounce rate, everything is metered here. You can order a beer and a shot, but you can't order doubles. So if you want a "double" tell your spouse/friend to order a beer and a shot. A drink recommendation that works with this is a "Limon Corona", Corona and a shot of Bacardi Limon mixed in it, it's damned good.

1. Lumpy's - Sports bar, bar food.
    2. Poplar Street Pub - Irish pub, bar food.
    3. Gracie's - Sports bar, bar food.
    4. Squatter's Brew Pub - Brew pub, great food.
    5. Red Rock Brew Pub - Brew pub, great food.
    6. Bambara in the Hotel Monaco - Cocktail lounge and great restaurant
    7. Market Street - Fresh seafood flown in daily, cocktail bar, great restaurant
    8. Beer Hive - Great beers, bar food.
    9. Kristauf's - Cocktail lounge, no food.
    10. Takashi - Great fresh sushi (Utah is a Delta hub so we get a lot of fresh fish flown in from San Francisco, Seattle, and Los Angeles.)
    11. Eva - Great tapas, good wine selection.
    12. Murphy's Irish Pub - Awesome dive bar.
    13. Acme Burger Company - Good burgers, beer.
    14. Red Iguana - The BEST Mexican food in town (you have to drive there, it's a 5 minute taxi ride from downtown)
    15. Iggy's - Okay sports bar, decent food.
    16. New Yorker - Fancy steak place, great food, expensive.
    17. Donovan's - Fancy steak place, good food, reasonable.
    18. Spencer's (in the Hilton) - Fancy steak place, decent, expensive.
    19. The Red Door - Uppity cocktail lounge with Utah wannabe-VIP
    20. Sand Bar - College bar with lots of college girls and ****** bags.
    21. Cheers to You - Dive bar, fun.
    22. O'Shucks - A bit of a walk, but it's a fun basement bar.
    23. Bar-X - Dive bar with pool and sketchy characters.
    24. Juniors Tavern - Bar with a lot of drunk lawyers who hit on anything that has a skirt.

We have a "Gateway Outdoor Mall" area that's swanky, so if you want to walk around in the fog-smog-inversion, there's some places there.

Near the University of Utah - Nothing really because there is an liquor ordinance in Utah that says you can't put a bar within 600 feet of a school, church, or some other random building type they define arbitrarily.

1. The Pie Pizzeria - Cheesy pie, college place, with beer.

Welcome to Utah, enjoy the fog. Walk around some, it's a super-safe city and most people will be happy to tell you which bar to visit and where to head. Take the Train Trax to the Hunstman Center from downtow, don't drive, parking is HELL. Make sure you take the University train, it's free, not the Sandy one. If you take the Sandy one, you will end up in the suburbs where the Mormons will catch you and eat your brains for dinner.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at welby at xmission dot com.

Good luck tonight!

Last edited by UtesRus; 01-15-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

Re: First Utes vs. Cyclones tonight!

I thought Iowa had the nicest people...I might be wrong.
    Thanks for the info, but I'm guessing we don't travel to well for gymnastics.

Oh and you might wan to change your email address (spam attack). Spell it out:
    Ex: jones at webmail dot com

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Thanks for email advice!

Thanks for the email advice.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 638

Great post!!

For people that don't know, SLC is quite a fun city, especially in Winter. And the Utah campus is amazing, as is their football stadium. I was quite impressed when I visited there.

The people there are quite friendly too. The bar situation, is, as mentioned, interesting. But you can still have fun. And the skiing is only around a half hour away and it is amazing. People are actually quite polite on the slopes. And rarely are there big crowds.

The GF and I hope to go to Utah skiing in Feb. or March. If you like snow, and can afford it, take the trip.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by UtesRus View Post
    Hey Cyclones, nice win in the bowl game. Tonight we're hosting you in gymnastics, so for those of you folks in town for the meet here are some recommendations. Contrary to popular belief, there is alcohol in them dar Utah hills, and great food to boot.

Where to go in Downtown Salt Lake City, Google these places for addresses, but they're all within walking distance of one another. Most of these places will not have a cover charge, but they will scan your I.D. so we can send LDS missionaries to your house afterwards to tell you about the evils of partaking in the fire water. They won't let you in if you don't have I.D.

There are no more kooky liqour laws (private club membership, reach around pat down, boobie checks, etc.), however, the draft beer alcohol content is 3.2% and bottled beer is 'regular', depending on brand. Liqour is dispensed at either a one ounce or 1.5 ounce rate, everything is metered here. You can order a beer and a shot, but you can't order doubles. So if you want a "double" tell your spouse/friend to order a beer and a shot. A drink recommendation that works with this is a "Limon Corona", Corona and a shot of Bacardi Limon mixed in it, it's damned good.

1. Lumpy's - Sports bar, bar food.
    2. Poplar Street Pub - Irish pub, bar food.
    3. Gracie's - Sports bar, bar food.
    4. Squatter's Brew Pub - Brew pub, great food.
    5. Red Rock Brew Pub - Brew pub, great food.
    6. Bambara in the Hotel Monaco - Cocktail lounge and great restaurant
    7. Market Street - Fresh seafood flown in daily, cocktail bar, great restaurant
    8. Beer Hive - Great beers, bar food.
    9. Kristauf's - Cocktail lounge, no food.
    10. Takashi - Great fresh sushi (Utah is a Delta hub so we get a lot of fresh fish flown in from San Francisco, Seattle, and Los Angeles.)
    11. Eva - Great tapas, good wine selection.
    12. Murphy's Irish Pub - Awesome dive bar.
    13. Acme Burger Company - Good burgers, beer.
    14. Red Iguana - The BEST Mexican food in town (you have to drive there, it's a 5 minute taxi ride from downtown)
    15. Iggy's - Okay sports bar, decent food.
    16. New Yorker - Fancy steak place, great food, expensive.
    17. Donovan's - Fancy steak place, good food, reasonable.
    18. Spencer's (in the Hilton) - Fancy steak place, decent, expensive.
    19. The Red Door - Uppity cocktail lounge with Utah wannabe-VIP
    20. Sand Bar - College bar with lots of college girls and ****** bags.
    21. Cheers to You - Dive bar, fun.
    22. O'Shucks - A bit of a walk, but it's a fun basement bar.
    23. Bar-X - Dive bar with pool and sketchy characters.
    24. Juniors Tavern - Bar with a lot of drunk lawyers who hit on anything that has a skirt.

We have a "Gateway Outdoor Mall" area that's swanky, so if you want to walk around in the fog-smog-inversion, there's some places there.

Near the University of Utah - Nothing really because there is an liquor ordinance in Utah that says you can't put a bar within 600 feet of a school, church, or some other random building type they define arbitrarily.

1. The Pie Pizzeria - Cheesy pie, college place, with beer.

Welcome to Utah, enjoy the fog. Walk around some, it's a super-safe city and most people will be happy to tell you which bar to visit and where to head. Take the Train Trax to the Hunstman Center from downtow, don't drive, parking is HELL. Make sure you take the University train, it's free, not the Sandy one. If you take the Sandy one, you will end up in the suburbs where the Mormons will catch you and eat your brains for dinner.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at welby at xmission dot com.

Good luck tonight!

You have a Lumpy's does it have quarter draws of Busch light?

Kyle S. Flander

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    You have a Lumpy's does it have quarter draws of Michelob Golden light?
    Fixed, circa 2006.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 810
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Did Utah ever REPEAL their Stupid Drinking Law that "Requires you to become a member before you can drink"?

You can easily get around it, but it's a Royal Pain in the Butt. This was a couple of yrs ago, but you pay $5 to be a member then get a Free Drink.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 810
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

I see, Utah did finally get rid of the drinking laws. They were getting ready to vote on it last time I was out there. GOOD.

Walk On
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 12

I saw that they had a "Lumpy's" as well. Too bad Lumpy's in Ames closed. Some good times on Friday nights in that place.

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

I'll second many of the places on that list but especially 1, 4, 7, 14, and 22.

I'm a graduate of both ISU and Utah and gotta say I'm not especially looking forward to the game this fall. Many conflicting emotions as I'm a Cyclone above all, but can't root against the Utes, especially when there are national championship possibilities! Either way if you're in SLC take some time to get around the city (and the mountains outside the city) and enjoy because it's a great place!