Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 52

Wow...Welcome to Fantasy Land Keeler!

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...56/1003/SPORTS

I just got a big kick out of how he made it seem in this article like Iowa was going to be able to pick over all of these guys who would probably laugh at the offer. He states that Bruce Pearl would be the right guy for the job to unite the fan base, but is there honestly ANY chance he would want to leave the Vols to come completely start over at Iowa?? Then he goes on to critique Altman and Chris Lowery (S. Illinois), which I guess I can understand a little bit even though they're both hot coaching commodities. He is just insane though in saying that they shouldn't look at Lon Kruger (UNLV, former Illinois/NBA head coach), Tom Crean (Final Four coach at Marquette), Tony Bennett (Pac 10 title this year at Wash. St.), and Kevin Stallings (Sweet 16 at Vandy this season). I mean does he seriously think that it would be IOWA saying this isn't a good fit if they could even get any of those guys to interview??? I would think that all of these guys that have been successful in a major conference already and seem to have a good situation where they're at would consider Iowa a big step down. Maybe they think that since New Mexico took a coach from a better situation that they can do it too. While they're at it they should give Coach K, Phil Jackson, and Pat Riley a call just to let them know that if they play their cards right, the Hawks might let them come interview for their incredible opening!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Re: Wow...Welcome to Fantasy Land Keeler!

Yeah I got a chucle out of the article. Pearl seems to be his anointed guy and who care what Gary Barta thinks? No wonder Steve Alford didn't care for the media in this state.

Pearl may be good, but the final game they played reminded me a lot of the old Iowa teams under Tom Davis. They'd make great runs and get big leads, but would lose the leads as quick as they got them. I'm not sure if Iowa fans want to bring that back?

Who know who they'll end up with, but anybody will probably be better from a pure public relations standpoint.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,624
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 131

Why would he stop the momentum hes built in Tenn. They were a 5 seed in the tourney this year and shouldve beat the #1 team. Hes already in a great conference, Tenn has more money to spend than Iowa. He would be starting from scratch at Iowa with even less talent than the team that missed both the NCAA and NIT. Anyone in their right mind would obvioulsy choose Iowa.

#BEATIOWA

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Pearl would be crazy to leave Tenn right now for Iowa... Tenn is on its way up and Iowa on the way down. I'm sure Tenn could match any offer Iowa would give too.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I don't read Keeler anymore. I used to, but then I realized that I didn't like it. Shortly after that, I realized that I didn't even like looking at his smug little expression in that picture next to his articles. Keeler is a pud

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The only way I can read Keeler is to avoid looking at his picture or cover it up someway. Is he from the state of Iowa or did he graduate from U of I which might explain why he writes like a tool for the hawks? Or is he from out of state and his bosses at the Register indoctrinated him into worshipping all things hawkeye?

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't see Pearl as this big uniter. The Iowa fans I've been talking to have been saying been there and done that with the run and gun tempo.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Keeler is a good target for the bottom of a bird cage.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 47

I was more perturbed by this quote.."Davis said Iowa is a hard job from a recruiting standpoint because of a lack of Division I talent close by. But Iowa's fan support fills some of that void." It was from the other article but still rubbed me the wrong way.

I so wish Iowa had some native sons playing in the NBA or something to prove them wrong...oh wait! : - )

Fanatic #25

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    I was more perturbed by this quote.."Davis said Iowa is a hard job from a recruiting standpoint because of a lack of Division I talent close by. But Iowa's fan support fills some of that void." It was from the other article but still rubbed me the wrong way.

I so wish Iowa had some native sons playing in the NBA or something to prove them wrong...oh wait! : - )
    There are on average about 1.5 decent players out of Iowa each year, I would hardly call that a solid recruiting base...

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 38

You guys...shoot, Pearl should be so lucky as to get asked to come to Iowa. IOWA?!! Why would he not do it? I'm surprised that Donovan and Gillespie haven't killed each other for the job yet. It couldn't be that they were coaching in the NCAA tournament with good teams at good schools. No, that definitely wasn't going on. Honestly, Pearl just is not good enough of a coach for such a fine, fabled, tradition-rich institution such as Iowa.

You know, I was in IC this weekend, and happened to overhear several Hawk fans squawking... most of the conversation consisted, "Man, we are going to be awesome under Pearl!" because, you know, it is clearly a foregone conclusion.

Grrr, stupid Hawkeyes...

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    You guys...shoot, Pearl should be so lucky as to get asked to come to Iowa. IOWA?!! Why would he not do it? I'm surprised that Donovan and Gillespie haven't killed each other for the job yet. It couldn't be that they were coaching in the NCAA tournament with good teams at good schools. No, that definitely wasn't going on. Honestly, Pearl just is not good enough of a coach for such a fine, fabled, tradition-rich institution such as Iowa.

You know, I was in IC this weekend, and happened to overhear several Hawk fans squawking... most of the conversation consisted, "Man, we are going to be awesome under Pearl!" because, you know, it is clearly a foregone conclusion.

Grrr, stupid Hawkeyes...
    Reminded me of this beauty:

Nov. 11, 1999: A debut for the ages.

In Steve Alford's first game as Iowa basketball coach, the Hawkeyes upset top-ranked and defending national champion Connecticut 70-68 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

"Hey, Hawk fans, how's this for a start to the Alford era,'' Iowa play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin told his radio audience. "This is just the beginning. This is just scratching the surface of what is to come for Hawkeye basketball.''

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs....48/1003&lead=1

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by clonefarmer View Post
    The only way I can read Keeler is to avoid looking at his picture or cover it up someway. Is he from the state of Iowa or did he graduate from U of I which might explain why he writes like a tool for the hawks? Or is he from out of state and his bosses at the Register indoctrinated him into worshipping all things hawkeye?
    Grew up in Sioux City, went to Northwestern, hence he's a Big 11 shill.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't underestimate who Iowa could get. If it's true that the ceiling for the coaches pay could be over $2 million, then there is only a very short list of coaches that won't be interested in at least hearing Barta's pitch.

Personally, I hope they go after Altman. He doesn't scare me as much as some of the names out there.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Meh...let Iowa bring in whoever they want. Get the best guy they can, good for them.

Personally I love watching competitive basketball with some good story lines and great in-game coaching.

As much as we'd like to make Iowa our beeotch, it wouldn't suck to have state of Iowa hoops good all the way around.