View Poll Results: Would you root for the other Iowa teams?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 28.10%
  • No

26 21.49%
  • Depends

61 50.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Root, Root, Root, for ... ?

With some posts I have seen, and other conversations that I have had, I started thinking; how many Cyclone fans are Iowa fans when not playing each other?

I for one enjoy sports all around, and would root for any Iowa team if given the chance. It wouldn't matter if it was Iowa, UNI, Central, or Drake. As long as they are not facing my beloved team, they will get my vote for winning or losing. Its actually the only games I can walk out of unscared emotionally from the heartbreaking defeat or disappointing performance. That becomes a relief.

I went to an Iowa vs Wisconsin football game at the end of last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. I never found myself cheering loudly for the Hawks, nor just standing there when something good happened. More so than not, I actually enjoyed watching the overall play of the game. If Iowa ended up winning, then great they won for the state of Iowa, but if they lost well great, they lost because they are Iowa. Kind of a win, win situation.

This also makes me think of the Iowa vs Purdue game like 5 years ago that I went to when I was a student in Ames. I dont know if it was moral loyality to Iowa State University and their tradition, but I just stood there the whole game. I never cheered for any play that day. My friends, who are all Iowa fans by the way, would push and slap me around trying to get me to express some kind of emotion. Of course I was not going to budge. I mean, I have an ISU student card in my wallet, my residence resides on the campus of Ames, and am a student ticket holder to every ISU sporting event provided; why would I cheer for Iowa.

Maybe since then, I have grown to accept that there is more to these games then just that imaginary wall that seperates this state from the east to west. I want to be able to attend a game and enjoy it. I want to be able to cheer and yell at the players/refs for the dumba$$ mistakes that they make. I want to be able to experience the football game environment. Sure, I dont have to go to these games, but I personally would never miss a good quality Div. I Big Ten matchup.

Come the big rival game though, you better watch out. I will bad mouth, and put down anything that has to deal with the black and gold from the east side. That's what makes me excited that Iowa City is back in Ames this year. We have a better tailgating experience, and even more loyal fans. Plus with no single game tickets sold, an abundance of Cyclone fans shall be standing in the stadium to cheer on for victory.

P.S. During both of those Iowa games attended, I undoubtedly had ISU gear on underneath whatever coat or sweatshirt I had on. It may be another Iowa team playing, but I ALWAYS support the clones.

Chris B.
    Contact Chris B at chrisb@cyclonefanatic.com

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: Root, Root, Root, for ... ?

I can cheer for UNI and Drake. Even the small Iowa schools. But never, ever for EIU. The only way you can top a clone win is for EIU to lose the same day. I cheer for ISU and second for who ever is beating Iowa!

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 23

I will always root for Drake and UNI. As far as rooting for Iowa, it depends on how arrogant their fans are being at that particular time. :)

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    I will always root for Drake and UNI. As far as rooting for Iowa, it depends on how arrogant their fans are being at that particular time. :)
    That's pretty much the way I am too. I always root for Drake and UNI. For Iowa it depends on the sport and whether or not they beat us that year. If we beat them in a sport then I can cheer for them in that sport. If we lose to them in a sport then there is no way I'm cheering for them in that sport.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingman View Post
    That's pretty much the way I am too. I always root for Drake and UNI. For Iowa it depends on the sport and whether or not they beat us that year. If we beat them in a sport then I can cheer for them in that sport. If we lose to them in a sport then there is no way I'm cheering for them in that sport.
    I agree, if Iowa keeps winning after we beat them, the better chance for a quality or an elite win. Otherwise, I couldn't really care. :)

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

I always cheer for the team playing against Iowa.

Also, within the last 6 months, the UNI fans have really gotten under my skin. I root for them to lose too. They always talk about beating ISU in football. ISU has had 2 TERRIBLE teams the last few years and UNI has been flying high, who won? ISU had an average div 1 team in 2004 and totally dominated that UNI team.

Have you all heard the UNI arrogance in basketball? The MO valley is not all it is cracked up to be. The RPI is easily manipulated. UNI would be a bottom half finisher in the Big 12 year in and year out, as would MOST Valley teams. SIU would be an upper half finisher, Creighton about 4-6 and Bradley about 6-7.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You know, I hope that years from now that if ISU becomes a "powerhouse" in either men's basketball or football (knock on wood), that we don't become the very fans that we loathe. Maybe the growing pains that the past two programs have been going through will weather us a bit more and make us more appreciative than boastful, but I'd still hate for us to become the bad guys, and the bad guys suddenly become the good guys/victims.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    You know, I hope that years from now that if ISU becomes a "powerhouse" in either men's basketball or football (knock on wood), that we don't become the very fans that we loathe. Maybe the growing pains that the past two programs have been going through will weather us a bit more and make us more appreciative than boastful, but I'd still hate for us to become the bad guys, and the bad guys suddenly become the good guys/victims.
    I don't see this ever happening. EIU fans are elitist pigs and much of their superiority complex comes from Iowa City being site of the "professional schools", namely law, medicine and dentistry. It wouldn't matter is our sports teams dominated them and achieved prominence; we'd still be their "country cousins". As an analogy, I'll offer up how Alabama treats Auburn, who is often their superior in things athletic...

P.S. I often opine that the engineers and scientists produced by ISU are much more helpful to society than the social workers and attorneys produced by EIU, but that argument falls on deaf ears...

JOMHO

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 342

Cheer for Wartburg, ISU, UNI, Drake. Thats about it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 23

Some of you guys are a little oversensitive. We're an engineering and agriculture school located in a smaller, more rural community. So it's not entirely offbase to call us "country". Who cares?

If your Iowa friends are bragging about their doctors and lawyers, just ask them which of the two they are... 99 times out of 100 they're going to be business/LAS or not even Iowa alumni. You should be thanking them for dragging the doctors and lawyers down to their level. :)

Last edited by benjay; 03-25-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post
    I can cheer for UNI and Drake. Even the small Iowa schools. But never, ever for EIU. The only way you can top a clone win is for EIU to lose the same day. I cheer for ISU and second for who ever is beating Iowa!

Yup, include me in on that.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    I don't see this ever happening. EIU fans are elitist pigs and much of their superiority complex comes from Iowa City being site of the "professional schools", namely law, medicine and dentistry. It wouldn't matter is our sports teams dominated them and achieved prominence; we'd still be their "country cousins". As an analogy, I'll offer up how Alabama treats Auburn, who is often their superior in things athletic...
    Do you mean that Alabama is superior to Auburn? I have family that went to Auburn, including my dad, and they often deem those in Tuscaloosca as toothless in-breds, half of whom never went to 'Bama. Sounds an awful lot like Iowa to me..

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Do you mean that Alabama is superior to Auburn? I have family that went to Auburn, including my dad, and they often deem those in Tuscaloosca as toothless in-breds, half of whom never went to 'Bama. Sounds an awful lot like Iowa to me..
    I always thought that you needed to be "smarter" to get into Auburn as well....

"Seven minutes to glory."

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas View Post
    Yup, include me in on that.
    I'll third That
    "always thought that you needed to be "smarter" to get into Auburn as well...."
    Exactly it's a perfect microcasm for ISU-iowa the "country" School has higher admission standards and the Toothless Hicks from the trailer parks are cheering for the "professional" school Look at Bama's Greek section they hawk lugi's and chant "were gonna beat the hell out of you", although funny the similarities beetween them and our A-Hole bretheren out east is kind of striking

P.S.-Just Venting Please no Negative rep

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    I'll third That
    "always thought that you needed to be "smarter" to get into Auburn as well...."
    Exactly it's a perfect microcasm for ISU-iowa the "country" School has higher admission standards and the Toothless Hicks from the trailer parks are cheering for the "professional" school Look at Bama's Greek section they hawk lugi's and chant "were gonna beat the hell out of you", although funny the similarities beetween them and our A-Hole bretheren out east is kind of striking

P.S.-Just Venting Please no Negative rep
    Actually, I think it may be "easier" to get into ISU than Iowa. I know plenty of people that got accepted into ISU, and came here, because they couldn't get accepted to Iowa right after high school. ISU has better undergrad diplomas, but Iowa has better the Grad programs (majority rule here).

"Seven minutes to glory."