Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 21

Mossman and other questions

Anyone know why Mossman doesn't get more minutes? She has looked good the games and minutes she has had. Perhaps we need her 3 stroke out there just to get the team firing again.

I am wondering if mixing up the starting line-up is causing issues. I see this a lot with teams struggling to figure it the starting 5 out, and it keeps players from getting into rhythym, which is what this team needs now.

Are we putting too much expectation on Poppens, Prins, Schroll and Zimmerman? They are freshmen. Makes me excited about the future.

Perhaps starting with the offensive minded players first, and run a 5 3 pointer set with Aus, Bolte, Williams, Mossman, Prins, then sub in Zimmerman for Prins and open up the offense and get some confidence going.

Has an ISU team ever shot the 3 this bad for two games in a row? Combined 6 for 40 or something like that.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

Re: Mossman and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post

Are we putting too much expectation on Poppens, Prins, Schroll and Zimmerman? They are freshmen. Makes me excited about the future.

Perhaps starting with the offensive minded players first, and run a 5 3 pointer set with Aus, Bolte, Williams, Mossman, Prins, then sub in Zimmerman for Prins and open up the offense and get some confidence going.
    Fennelly's negativity bothers me. He called out Bolte again last night, saying, "well, she went 1 for 10, and that makes her what, 5 for 35 for the last three games?"
    I happen to think Kelsey is not that talented to get her own shot, that she needs others to draw defensive attention and double-teams for her to get open. Williams? She's not that quick for her small size, which is why she wan't a heavily-recruited player. And as you said, the others are young.
    Maybe what we have is a "recruiting" problem. How does A&M get three players from KC? I thought that was our territory.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

She's too good looking. My best guess.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Fennelly's negativity bothers me. He called out Bolte again last night, saying, "well, she went 1 for 10, and that makes her what, 5 for 35 for the last three games?"
    I happen to think Kelsey is not that talented to get her own shot, that she needs others to draw defensive attention and double-teams for her to get open. Williams? She's not that quick for her small size, which is why she wan't a heavily-recruited player. And as you said, the others are young.
    Maybe what we have is a "recruiting" problem. How does A&M get three players from KC? I thought that was our territory.
    Good points, but last night Bolte had several wide wide open shots.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 105

Bolte is such a head-scratcher for me. It feels like she should be able to be a much bigger factor in games than she typically ends up being.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Agree completely. At least she can take comfort in the fact that she is ridiculously good looking. Those damn Haluskas..........

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

I think everyone knows here is a building pressure, even more than normal years, to make the NCAA's since we host the first two rounds at Hilton. Yes, an 8-8 conference record probably makes it, but does 7-9?
    That puts everyone - coaches and players - on edge.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,485
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Anyone know why Mossman doesn't get more minutes? She has looked good the games and minutes she has had. Perhaps we need her 3 stroke out there just to get the team firing again.

I am wondering if mixing up the starting line-up is causing issues. I see this a lot with teams struggling to figure it the starting 5 out, and it keeps players from getting into rhythym, which is what this team needs now.

Has an ISU team ever shot the 3 this bad for two games in a row? Combined 6 for 40 or something like that.

It would involve calling out WBB players which I don't think anyone wants to do. Some things seem blatantly obvious with certain players on the team.

Last edited by pulse; 01-14-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Bolte,Bolte,Bolte.....remember she isn't the quarterback(wide reciever maybe) and shes a career leader at isu in alot of categorys before she is done....if she was that bad, coach wouldn't have her playing so many minutes.Confidence in herself has gotta be the biggest thing.Vikings or Cowboys loose...who's fault is it ? (in the eyes of the press) Farve and Romo...right or wrong thats the way it always has and will be. We loose and our QB is the only one who can play ??? the rest of the team is no good tonight ?? Our QB can play at the all-star level and now all she has too do bring her teammates with her!!!! Go Get'm Auss...you can do it !!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 105

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    It would involve calling out WBB players which I don't think anyone wants to do. Some things seem blatantly obvious with certain players on the team.
    Why not, we don't have a problem doing it with the men.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,485
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Good point, Bolte will go down as one of the most underachieving players. She could be so much better. The reasons however, I'll leave to someone else.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

There is nothing to be done about the experience factor; face it, we have five frosh (Cole being a frosh as far as playing b-ball is concerned), and while they are getting experience and as a result getting better, the frosh are going to make mistakes, some of commission, some of omission. What I see at the moment is a young team that does not yet know how to get free for passes, which they obviously must get before worrying about getting off shots. Will that take more than ball screens? Yes, maybe double screens along the baseline to free up a shooter, I don't know. They will also have to get their shots off quicker. The inside people will have to use the backboard so they can put a shot up faster and harder. All this will come with time, and I think the second time through the league will show improvement. At least I hope so.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    So you're saying we'd get more ESPN time if she was on the floor?

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I disagree with you about Fennelly 100%. He should call out a person the team is depending on for consistency and leadership. Bolte has consistently shown how streaky she can be. She has to pull her head out of her butt and play. Williams is quicker than you think. Her problem is similar to Bolte's in that she has lost her shot someplace. The fab frosh are showing that their attitudes (i.e. Pop) and injuries have cost them dearly during Big 12 season. Pop was reported to have had a case of not listening to coaches when the season started. She's a non-factor right now. Prins and Zimm were hurt and that's costing them as well. As for the players from KC...there is a reason ISU didn't recruit them. Its called academics and character. Fennelly always recruits kids that are athletes, academics and show good character. The one's in question and especially the Daniels gal didn't have what it takes to fit in with ISU basketball.

I completely agree with the lineup changes Fennelly has been making. If you watch the games you'll see that Jessica Schroll is going to be a huge talent. Fast, mean, and smart. That is why she started at ATM. She's going to be special before she's done at ISU. ISU needs to keep playing tough defense and hope that the two experienced shooters find their shot.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 29

To answer your first question - Mossman is a bit slow on defense and not consistent enough with her three. She's had one good game this year (when she started) and her other appearances haven't been noteworthy.

The players you list in the other question are problematic. Bolte and Williams are missing in action offensively right now. We need Stuckey on the floor for defense. Mossman doesn't fit as described above. The only two constants are Aus and Prins with the later still working her way into shape. She's essentially playing where she would have been in mid-December. Its going to take a while for her to learn and she's having to learn in the most difficult school of all - the Big 12.