Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,055, Level: 23
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    agronclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    des moines
    Posts
    345
    Points
    6,055
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    This is an old article from november, before the bradley trade, but i haven't heard anything definitive about theriot working on 2nd base until i read this. Probably a good idea. Fontenot is a good candidate off the bench, but an everyday 2nd baseman is probably not the best for him or the cubs.
    Cubs pursuing short-term shortstop for2010? - MLB Daily Dish



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 277,216, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    15,143
    Points
    277,216
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,138
    Given: 221

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    I have been saying this for a long time. Theriot would fare much better at second, and the Cubs should be seeking a shortstop during the off-season.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 24,006, Level: 47
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Points
    24,006
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Theriot doesn't have the arm to be a SS. He is much better suited for 2nd base. Now the question is who would take his place at SS.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 4,229, Level: 18
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marion Iowa
    Posts
    69
    Points
    4,229
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    I would be ok with the Cubs getting Tejada for a 1 year deal that is heavy on incentives. He can still hit, might not have the range for SS but i would like the bat.



  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,055, Level: 23
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    agronclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    des moines
    Posts
    345
    Points
    6,055
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    starlin castro is only 19 or 20 years old. he only has a couple months experience in the minors, albeit a very productive couple of months (near .300 average, lots of speed, and great defensively). my only concern is that the cubs don't have a good track record in bringing up young players (patterson brothers, for example). but if the kid can hit .260 and get on base at .330 or better, it wouldn't be much of a downgrade from what fontenot did last season. and that may be an advantage because of the speed the kid could bring around the bases, and the increased range at shortstop.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 98,545, Level: 97
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,517
    Points
    98,545
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 495
    Given: 197

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by agronclone View Post
    starlin castro is only 19 or 20 years old. he only has a couple months experience in the minors, albeit a very productive couple of months (near .300 average, lots of speed, and great defensively). my only concern is that the cubs don't have a good track record in bringing up young players (patterson brothers, for example). but if the kid can hit .260 and get on base at .330 or better, it wouldn't be much of a downgrade from what fontenot did last season. and that may be an advantage because of the speed the kid could bring around the bases, and the increased range at shortstop.
    The Patterson's have nothing compared to the potential I thought Felix Pie had. Heck, I thought Angel Pagan had some too.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I have been saying this for a long time. Theriot would fare much better at second, and the Cubs should be seeking a shortstop during the off-season.
    Andres Blanco.

    Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    Theriot doesn't have the arm to be a SS. He is much better suited for 2nd base. Now the question is who would take his place at SS.
    See above.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,444, Level: 68
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    3,755
    Points
    49,444
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 175

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Castro is the only reason Theriot is working out at 2nd, but I don't see him playing that position until the Sept call ups. Apparently, Starlin's the real deal and will probably be up this year...most likely in Chi-towm to stay come 2011.

    If you think about it, there is no other reason to go after Guzman as hard as the Cubs have this off-season. Long term, he's garbage, but may serve as a servicable 'stop-gap' 2 bagger. The transition from SS to 2nd won't be easy for Theriot.

    For those of you talking Tejada...I want what you're into. Not going to happen.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    Castro is the only reason Theriot is working out at 2nd, but I don't see him playing that position until the Sept call ups. Apparently, Starlin's the real deal and will probably be up this year...most likely in Chi-towm to stay come 2011.

    If you think about it, there is no other reason to go after Guzman as hard as the Cubs have this off-season. Long term, he's garbage, but may serve as a servicable 'stop-gap' 2 bagger. The transition from SS to 2nd won't be easy for Theriot.

    For those of you talking Tejada...I want what you're into. Not going to happen.
    Think again man... he came up in 2005 as a 2nd baseman and played most of 2006 as a 2nd baseman. It wasn't until 2007 that he made the switch to SS.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Andres Blanco.



    See above.
    He can't hit well enough to be an everyday player for the Cubbies...



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    He can't hit well enough to be an everyday player for the Cubbies...
    Doesn't matter, he's more suited play short than Theriot is, and would therefore give the Cubs an immediate defensive upgrade at the position. At the same time, 2nd base was a black hole in the lineup last year, and moving Theriot there would be a big upgrade offensively from the Miles/Fontenot/Baker/Blanco cluster**** that Lou had to pick from every day last season.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Doesn't matter, he's more suited play short than Theriot is, and would therefore give the Cubs an immediate defensive upgrade at the position. At the same time, 2nd base was a black hole in the lineup last year, and moving Theriot there would be a big upgrade offensively from the Miles/Fontenot/Baker/Blanco cluster**** that Lou had to pick from every day last season.
    So you upgrade the 2nd base hitting to downgrade the shortstop hitting... We gain nothing in the batting line up from this move...

    Also, Theriot doesn't have a real strong arm, but has plenty of range to play short. I'd leave Theriot at Short if this is your solution because I like to have a lot of stability at the most important infield position and shuffle the 2nd base position with fontenot and blanco...



  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,611, Level: 22
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    LetsPlay2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    285
    Points
    5,611
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 9

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    They have a good SS in their minor league system right now called Starlin and I believe he is in Double-A and, from what I have been hearing, he might make it to the majors this year.


    Go Cubs Go!
    Lets Play Two-Ernie Banks

  14. #14
    Walk On
    Points: 9,871, Level: 29
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    174
    Points
    9,871
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    I thought Theriot and Fontenot were products of the Cubs farm system, or did they pick them up in a trade?



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,055, Level: 23
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    agronclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    des moines
    Posts
    345
    Points
    6,055
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

    Quote Originally Posted by melt View Post
    I thought Theriot and Fontenot were products of the Cubs farm system, or did they pick them up in a trade?
    theriot was drafted by the cubs, but they received fontenot for sosa from baltimore. at the same time, those guys were in their mid-20's before they were brought up to the big-leagues.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM