Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 174

Far better effort, no moral victories

Loved the hustle and effort tonight, aside from a 5 minute stretch to start the 2nd half, we stood toe-to-toe with Texas all night long and in a number of respects - beat them. There are, however, no moral victories. The ultimate would have been these guys getting rewarded for the hard work and therefore reinforcing that behavior leads to success.

I hope the effort continues into this weekend. Frankly, it had better, because the team showed exactly what it can do with a better effort. I think we match up far worse against Texas than Duke, however the game last night was far more competitive. Give 100% against UNI? Win. Northwestern? Win. Cal? A pretty good chance for a win. Duke? I think they win in the end but it's much closer. NDSU and Houston? Blowouts. Iowa? We actually finish the game (along with a couple others).

So, where has this effort been? I certainly hope we can expect it to continue, that suddenly the team has put their egos to the side and gelled. And I hope it's not solely because we were playing a #1 team on our home court.

Enjoyed the fact that while we lose Craig and it was unsure if he'd be back (especially when one of the assistants came back out a good while before Craig returned), our guys kept fighting and didn't lose ground. Gilstrap is the real deal, and I hope he continues to drive the paint with those reverse layups.

I'd like to know who stole Lucca, cloned him physically and put themselves on the court. Creating his own shot not once (for the bounce-around 3 pointer) but twice (turn-around 2 point jumper)? And dribbling the ball without looking aloof? Nice.

Dendy rocked, Hamilton did a fantastic job on defense (and technically should have outscored Pittman if he made his layups) and DG did great managing the game.

I said to my wife at the half, the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half would set the tone and decide the game. It did. We have really struggled there over the past few years and this is something the staff needs to correct. Otherwise, the staff managed an excellent game. I thought how we adjusted to their press by using Craig to dribble up the floor was brilliant, it was just done too late. IMO, we should have expected that press coming out because they did it to finish the first half with success.

Our troubles making the 3 in the 2nd half and Texas heating up also played a huge role. The first 5 minutes of the 2nd and the 3 point shooting in the 2nd was the difference in the game. And we must get better at the charity stripe...although Texas didn't do much better.

It was enjoyable watching the chess match between the coaches with player substitutions. Have not seen these go back-and-forth like that in a while.

In all, I'm pleased our guys showed some pride by actually coming ready to play and for the most part sustaining it for the full 40 minutes. I am very frustrated it's taken this long for that to happen, but if we can do it again in Lincoln this weekend and beyond, I can certainly get past that.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 01-14-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 88

Re: Far better effort, no moral victories

Good post, hopefully we do pull it together and start playing the way we are capable. If not, we are staring at 0-4 with Kansas coming to town.

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,579
    Given: 1,345

That was a very good post.

If we bring this team to every game, we'll have some good victory discussions.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Agree with pretty much everything here. I think what is the most frustrating is the free throws, yes TX didn't shoot great but when you're at home, you have to capitalize on fouls. We lost by 7, off the top of my head I can remember DG missing 2, MG missing 2, and Dendy missing at least 3, thats 7 there. Does that mean we win the game? Not necessarily, but we needed to keep it under 8 I thought from watching at home to try and keep the crowd in it and those were costly.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 683
    Given: 158

That team that played last night can go 10-6 in the Big 12, IMO. The team that played last Saturday would go about 3-13. I agree, hopefully we see the team from last night the rest of the way, and it was not just a case of getting way up for the number one team in the nation coming to your house.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    That team that played last night can go 10-6 in the Big 12, IMO. The team that played last Saturday would go about 3-13. I agree, hopefully we see the team from last night the rest of the way, and it was not just a case of getting way up for the number one team in the nation coming to your house.
    Agreed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,579
    Given: 1,345

Hard to argue either side there. Good post.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 4

I am bumbed today because that was a big chance to get a big win. On the other hand, there were a lot of reasons to be encouraged. Chris said it, Texas played pretty well last night and ISU hung in there.

If ISU can win out at home and somehow get 3 wins on the road, we got a good chance to get in the tourney still. (Plus the B12 tourney.) Tall order, but it can be done. But like others have said, they have to bring that effort every night.

I am a little concerned with how banged up we are. Boozer probably out for awhile, JVB gone, Colvin out. All of a sudden the bench is getting a little short.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Agreed.
    And it's why I'm quite frustrated with this team. Potential, ability, etc - all there to be a team with just 2 losses on the season and who knows, maybe steal that one from Duke. Potential to blow out teams like Houston and NDSU.

But they have not played like it...until last night. No moral victories, but these guys have to realize they were in a game the entire way they technically should have never had a shot at - because of their effort - and the duplicate it this weekend.

I'll be right back here Saturday night complaining about the team if the effort is not there. Or I'll be here celebrating a win and complimenting them on getting their work ethic turned around. I'm hoping for the latter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 1,115

Good post. I agree with most of it, especially the comments about the play of Gilstrap, Dendy and Hamilton. It looked like the game may have slowed down a little for Dendy yesterday. The drive by Pittman for the and-1 was perfect.

The whole key to this season is whether they can take this effort and duplicate it on the road. I honestly have no idea which team will show up Saturday in Lincoln. But it'll be fun to watch if it is this one.

I wasn't aware Craig had gone back to the locker room, they didn't mention it on the broadcast. I thought Craig played very similarly to how he played last year during Big 12 play. He had several plays where he got the ball down low and he didn't shoot the fade-away once, he took the ball up strong into the defender. Now we just need to get him the ball on every possession.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 261

I feel like this team plays to the level of their competition. I don't want to believe that, because it sure looked like they pulled their heads out and got it together last night. However, until that level is sustained for a few games in a row, I'm tempering my excitement a bit.

Last edited by MNCyGuy; 01-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. This is really the first sign of this team reaching its potential. A similar effort and intensity puts us over the hump against both NW and UNI. There are still small things that can be improved with our play (The ever present FT problem, some 3PTR defense especially against Bradley in the second half, still a few forced/bad shots) but this type of effort has to be there ALL THE TIME in the Big XII. Then we work on our game to improve the other things. Maybe the guys are starting to figure this out. I think the shortened bench may actually help with this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 683
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I feel like this team plays to the level of their competition. I don't want to believe that, because last night it sure looked like they pulled their heads out and got it together last night. However, until that level is sustained for a few games in a row, I'm tempering my excitement a bit.
    I agree, and that is what makes me nervous.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I feel like this team plays to the level of their competition. I don't want to believe that, because last night it sure looked like they pulled their heads out and got it together last night. However, until that level is sustained for a few games in a row, I'm tempering my excitement a bit.
    That's the exact thought I had during the game last night. That of course is not exactly a recipe for success. We need last nights effort against everyone.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I wasn't aware Craig had gone back to the locker room, they didn't mention it on the broadcast. I thought Craig played very similarly to how he played last year during Big 12 play. He had several plays where he got the ball down low and he didn't shoot the fade-away once, he took the ball up strong into the defender. Now we just need to get him the ball on every possession.
    Yeah, I was a bit worried about him, glad he came back out. Interested to hear an injury update on him.

Craig not once, but twice took the ball strong to the hoop into a double team, scored both times (IIRC, got the and one on one of those). This has to keep happening, an absolute must. I'm ****** it took him this long to do it, but again, all is fine as long as he keeps doing it.