Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Hating Coaches

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 73,179, Level: 84
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,671
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,418
    Points
    73,179
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

    Hating Coaches

    The more and more I see it, the less hatred I feel for those who do it. Coaches are leaving their current jobs for greener pastures, and those teams who are left behind are always angry at them.

    Im not sure why fans are so disgusted with them? They have no real obligation to their team (chizik) yet when they are offered their dream job and accept, they are hated. I use the term "hated" loosely because they aren't really hated by anyone who isn't directly involved. For instance, do you hate lane kiffin for leaving tennessee to take over the winningest program in the last decade- a job he called his "dream job"? No, you shouldn't.

    I'd be willing to bet less than 1% of the college football world cared when chizik went to auburn. Did they feel bad for isu? No.

    Coaches are simply making a business deal. Coaching college football is a big money profession with opportunities continually knocking. Sooner or later a guy like tom herman will leave to go to be the head coach somewhere, and all of us fans are going to be ******. I ask you guys, why the anger? They aren't turning their backs on us... In fact, if anything they should be ****** at us for not paying them what they deserve.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Fans who hate coaches for leaving are idiots. If McDermott had left us for Kansas or UCLA after his first season, everyone would have hated him for it. Now most of those same fans want him fired. Fans and most AD's (like ours) don't show any loyalty to coaches, so they don't deserve any loyalty in return.


    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

    My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 62,157, Level: 77
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bostrem00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    2,713
    Points
    62,157
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Fans who hate coaches for leaving are idiots. If McDermott had left us for Kansas or UCLA after his first season, everyone would have hated him for it. Now most of those same fans want him fired. Fans and most AD's (like ours) don't show any loyalty to coaches, so they don't deserve any loyalty in return.
    Its all situations and the levels of success a coach is having...



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 34,201, Level: 56
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,593
    Points
    34,201
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 25

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Fans who hate coaches for leaving are idiots. If McDermott had left us for Kansas or UCLA after his first season, everyone would have hated him for it. Now most of those same fans want him fired. Fans and most AD's (like ours) don't show any loyalty to coaches, so they don't deserve any loyalty in return.
    MontyBurns = Bruce Vandervelde.

    I am convinced!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    The more and more I see it, the less hatred I feel for those who do it. Coaches are leaving their current jobs for greener pastures, and those teams who are left behind are always angry at them.

    Im not sure why fans are so disgusted with them? They have no real obligation to their team (chizik) yet when they are offered their dream job and accept, they are hated. I use the term "hated" loosely because they aren't really hated by anyone who isn't directly involved. For instance, do you hate lane kiffin for leaving tennessee to take over the winningest program in the last decade- a job he called his "dream job"? No, you shouldn't.

    I'd be willing to bet less than 1% of the college football world cared when chizik went to auburn. Did they feel bad for isu? No.

    Coaches are simply making a business deal. Coaching college football is a big money profession with opportunities continually knocking. Sooner or later a guy like tom herman will leave to go to be the head coach somewhere, and all of us fans are going to be ******. I ask you guys, why the anger? They aren't turning their backs on us... In fact, if anything they should be ****** at us for not paying them what they deserve.
    This is where the disconnect comes from. This is a business for the coaches. It is a passion for the fans. Big difference there.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 251,157, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,009
    Points
    251,157
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 92

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    This is where the disconnect comes from. This is a business for the coaches. It is a passion for the fans. Big difference there.
    True. I was never mad at Chiz for leaving. I was mad at the way he brushed off the players.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,278, Level: 98
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    oldman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,916
    Points
    100,278
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 153

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Fans who hate coaches for leaving are idiots. If McDermott had left us for Kansas or UCLA after his first season, everyone would have hated him for it. Now most of those same fans want him fired. Fans and most AD's (like ours) don't show any loyalty to coaches, so they don't deserve any loyalty in return.

    Fans for sure are a fickle bunch.


    "Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

    "I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,333, Level: 62
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,356
    Points
    41,333
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 77

    Re: Hating Coaches

    I agree, coaches are expected to be loyal to a system that has no loyalty to them. While I don't like what guys like Kiffin, Kelly, etc... have done I can't really blame them. Fans just want to have something to hate, I mean I don't really understand the hatred that Chizik still gets. Are any ISU fans not happier with the way things turned out anyway?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 845,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    53,672
    Points
    845,902
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 496

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    I agree, coaches are expected to be loyal to a system that has no loyalty to them. While I don't like what guys like Kiffin, Kelly, etc... have done I can't really blame them. Fans just want to have something to hate, I mean I don't really understand the hatred that Chizik still gets. Are any ISU fans not happier with the way things turned out anyway?
    Good post.

    I really don't get the Chizik hatred, either. I'm glad he did it. It worked out so much better for us than we ever imagined it could.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 332,721, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,630
    Points
    332,721
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    MontyBurns = Bruce Vandervelde.

    I am convinced!
    No. BVD is here but goes by "cy1225".



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 56,727, Level: 73
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jtdoyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,089
    Points
    56,727
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    True. I was never mad at Chiz for leaving. I was mad at the way he brushed off the players.
    +1 on that. I couldn't really blame him for taking a better job, getting paid more in a better location for him. He just came off as a real sleazeball the way he did it. Especially after calling Bates a quitter and "being firmly entrenched in Ames."



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 56,727, Level: 73
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jtdoyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,089
    Points
    56,727
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

    Re: Hating Coaches

    I wouldn't really say that the coaches are the victims here. When a coach gets fired they usually get paid millions of dollars to buy out their contract. Sounds like a pretty good gig to me. When a coach decides to leave it really doesn't cost them anything. Sure there might be a buyout but they probably don't personally pay that.

    The people I feel for is the assistants who get left in the lurch by all the moving around.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 380,694, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,536
    Points
    380,694
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 109

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Good post.

    I really don't get the Chizik hatred, either. I'm glad he did it. It worked out so much better for us than we ever imagined it could.
    With Gene at the helm directing traffic, we would not have won the Insight Bowl which is going up even more in status next year.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 845,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    53,672
    Points
    845,902
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 496

    Re: Hating Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    With Gene at the helm directing traffic, we would not have won the Insight Bowl which is going up even more in status next year.
    With Gene at the helm, we don't win at Nebraska, either. Really, we hardly win at all, Jesse Smith never goes All-Big 12 or National Defensive Player of the Week, and so much more that we all loved this year.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 94,655, Level: 95
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,061
    Points
    94,655
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 51

    Re: Hating Coaches

    I don't hate Lane Kiffin for going to USC after only being at Tennessee for one season. I hate Lane Kiffin because he's an arrogant, narcissistic ********* who brags about firing people for no good reason (see the Sports Illustrated article written about a year ago or so at this time) and who has been given all these prime coaching gigs that he hasn't done one damn thing to earn. Not to mention his apparent pride at getting into trouble with the NCAA.

    Lane Kiffin is a vile POS. He doesn't only make college coaches look bad....he makes the human race look bad.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM