Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 54

Re: More Problems at USC Coming Out?

I don't buy parts of his story, others I do. I would think that painkillers are dispersed pretty liberally at every college. I don't mean to sound like this is no huge deal, but I think it would be pretty naive to think this stuff is isolated. I would hate to guess the number of former college football players that are addicted to painkillers. Let alone the NFL

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

I kind of suspect that ol' Pete didn't bail out just because he needed a change of pace. Perhaps there are some serious penalites coming on down the line for USC.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

I don't think you can have that successful of a football program in America. Some booster somewhere is paying someone they are not supposed to. Regardless how clean a coach may be. Some 18 year old broke as hell kid will take money from some rich guy. There is nothing you can do about it.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I don't think you can have that successful of a football program in America. Some booster somewhere is paying someone they are not supposed to. Regardless how clean a coach may be. Some 18 year old broke as hell kid will take money from some rich guy. There is nothing you can do about it.
    SO you would say Florida is cheating and probably Texas too? I would say those teams have been more successful than USC over the last 5 years for sure. I am not arguing I just want to be clear.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    SO you would say Florida is cheating and probably Texas too? I would say those teams have been more successful than USC over the last 5 years for sure. I am not arguing I just want to be clear.
    I also disagree with that idea. By all accounts I think Brown and Meyer are running clean programs, and are lucky enough to be at schools where the prestige and resources "recruit themselves". I think Pete Carroll had the same situation going, but maybe was looking for the extra edge. There is also the possibility that he did not know some of the booster support was going on. I know it is hard to believe he didn't realize one of his players was driving a brand new Escalade or something of the like, but I suppose he shows up for practices and film everyday and goes home, and isn't out hanging out with his players checking up on what car their driving and how much cash is in their bank accounts.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I also disagree with that idea. By all accounts I think Brown and Meyer are running clean programs, and are lucky enough to be at schools where the prestige and resources "recruit themselves". I think Pete Carroll had the same situation going, but maybe was looking for the extra edge. There is also the possibility that he did not know some of the booster support was going on. I know it is hard to believe he didn't realize one of his players was driving a brand new Escalade or something of the like, but I suppose he shows up for practices and film everyday and goes home, and isn't out hanging out with his players checking up on what car their driving and how much cash is in their bank accounts.
    Don't fool yourself. There are a few skeleton's in their closests too...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

there are lots of ways to cheat..

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I agree, the difference is those guys are better in game coaches. They don't need to do that little extra. In Urbans case, he runs a unique offense so he can get away with having a little less all around talent on that side of the ball. In a Pro Style offense you have to have great talent a ll around. I really think that USC is going to be made an example of. I think the hammer will drop fairly hard here. I feel real bad for the recruits this year who were dead set on going there (Baxter) and now have no idea.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree, the difference is those guys are better in game coaches. They don't need to do that little extra. In Urbans case, he runs a unique offense so he can get away with having a little less all around talent on that side of the ball. In a Pro Style offense you have to have great talent a ll around. I really think that USC is going to be made an example of. I think the hammer will drop fairly hard here. I feel real bad for the recruits this year who were dead set on going there (Baxter) and now have no idea.
    Huh?? Of course Urban Meyer has some of the best talent in the country just like USC. So does Mac Brown. My point is these guys or their boosters don't do everything above board to pull in that kinda talent.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

It's not the coaches. It's the rich boosters. So yeah I am sure there are players on Texas and Florida that are taking payments. Nothing Mac Brown or any other coach can do about it.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675
    Given: 7

But I still think there is something to be said about these coaches not always realizing what is going on behind the scenes. These large, impassioned and often wealthy fanbases could have little regard or knowledge for the rules, and could be doing something illegal under NCAA rules w/o the coaches knowledge. A coach cannot reasonably be expected to have access to every players bank statements, know their employment status, know the car they are driving, ect.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 84

Funny thing is, I am sure this happens more often than not. There is a certain football player that plays at a school east of Ames that was tooling around his hometown in an Escalade this summer over the 4th of July weekend. Lots of stuff like this goes on around the country, I would bet the only time it really gets called out is when the bigger stuff rolls downhill and they lump it all together.

For a coach like Pete that has already failed once in the NFL and had a cushy job as USC going, as well as playing a freshman QB this year as he prepared for the future national championship's he planned on winning, it is a bit odd for him to up and leave. This could really expose alot of what may be wrong with college athletics, or be nothing...

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

But I still think there is something to be said about these coaches not always realizing what is going on behind the scenes. These large, impassioned and often wealthy fanbases could have little regard or knowledge for the rules, and could be doing something illegal under NCAA rules w/o the coaches knowledge. A coach cannot reasonably be expected to have access to every players bank statements, know their employment status, know the car they are driving, ect.
    I agree with most of that. Fanbases are a wild card in everything.

Why can't a coach keep track of all that player stuff with the large staff they have at their disposal?

It's up to the AD and the coach to educate fans what is right and wrong(just as JP has worked very hard at doing the last few years.).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with most of that. Fanbases are a wild card in everything.

Why can't a coach keep track of all that player stuff with the large staff they have at their disposal?

It's up to the AD and the coach to educate fans what is right and wrong(just as JP has worked very hard at doing the last few years.).
    COming from ISU we have no idea the extent to which people will go. For one, we don't have 50 LARGE boosters in the players ear. It is hard for a coach to keep track of 100 kids as well.

Or so I have read.