SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Post A Win is a Win! Right?

By Chris B.
    Contact Chris at chrisb@cyclonefanatic.com

You always here the phrase, a win is a win. Pretty much this entails forgeting about the whole game and just looking at the final score. While this may be all that matters when looking back in history, is this really a fair agrument?

Lets take these march Madness games for instance. These games are always known for close games with possibly numerous lead changes, and most times than not, the better teams wins. Lately though, it actually seems that some underdogs have controlled the game all the way till the end. Would they be considered the better team? Maybe. Tennessee seemed like they dominated a lot of the game the other night just as USC is doing tonight, but unfortunately when it comes down to the last few miniutes of the game, the team that was suppose to win comes from behind and gets the "W". So did the better man win? I dont think so. Is a win a win; yes!

When you are outmatched, and outplayed for the most part of the game, and maybe get some lucky calls, and even luckier breaks, you did not "win" the game. Sure you walk away as the victor and get to proceed on in the tournament, but now the team that actually won the overall game has to go home and wait till next year.

This is of course the competitiveness of sports, and what makes March so maddening. So the heart, and moral victories just dont always cut it. Its sports, I love it!

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 03-24-2007 at 08:12 AM.
    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Re: A Win is a Win! Right?

I am a firm believer of a win is a win. no such thing as moral victories...

I mean when it comes down to it, no matter how crazy you get about it...it's a GAME, and the main premise of a GAME such as football, basketball, baseball, hockey, w/e is that you score MORE points than your opponent. That's all that matters IN THE END. I would rather my beloved ISU be the ugliest looking winners rather than the best looking losers, cuz at the end of the day an ugly winner is still a winner. And let me clarify by saying I am not talking about cheating or anything like that, I am not the owner of the Raiders and I would def. never justify that, I am simply talking about the play during the game.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    I am a firm believer of a win is a win. no such thing as moral victories...
    I agree. There's no column for "close", "shoulda won", "beat them for 75% of the game", etc.

I try not to over-analyze that part. W or L - simple as that.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

I think there's a place for moral victories for a team like ISU this past season. We knew we weren't going to be great but we had some great games against the likes of OSU and KU that to me and a lot of fans were seen as moral victories for our squad because it showed them they could hang with anybody on any given night.

No there isn't a column in the stats for moral victories but that doesn't mean certain games that go down as losses can't be meaningful down the road.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Moral victories really pay dividens to a rebuilding programs too. I mean, the players need the hope and inspiration to keep playing when your not always going to get the official wins. Thats where ISU definately falls in because of that booster moral vicotries can do for you.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Moral victories really pay dividens to a rebuilding programs too. I mean, the players need the hope and inspiration to keep playing when your not always going to get the official wins. Thats where ISU definately falls in because of that booster moral vicotries can do for you.

Very well put, I agree completely. A team like UNC doesn't get moral victories but a rebuilding program needs them very much.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Consider me a guy in the section of folks tired of moral victory after moral victory. We've got more of these than actual wins in our history.

Do I think it was great we had Kansas on the ropes this year and we had a few other close ones with good teams? Sure.

In the grand scheme of things though, I'm not sure they mean all that they're built up to. Sure, players get a little confidence from them - but then again - if that were the case we would not have gone on a losing streak after the KU loss. Our players were devastated to lose that game, one they feel they should've won. Not glad/content/talking about a moral victory.

Coaches use 'em (coach speak) and fans get to talk about 'em - but to me - that's really it. I'm not saying they're meaningless, yet not near what they're built up to be.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Consider me a guy in the section of folks tired of moral victory after moral victory. We've got more of these than actual wins in our history.

Do I think it was great we had Kansas on the ropes this year and we had a few other close ones with good teams? Sure.

In the grand scheme of things though, I'm not sure they mean all that they're built up to. Sure, players get a little confidence from them - but then again - if that were the case we would not have gone on a losing streak after the KU loss. Our players were devastated to lose that game, one they feel they should've won. Not glad/content/talking about a moral victory.

Coaches use 'em (coach speak) and fans get to talk about 'em - but to me - that's really it. I'm not saying they're meaningless, yet not near what they're built up to be.
    That is very true, and agree that after so many for so long they really began pointless. But if a "moral victory" was proceeded with a losing streak, then you really couldn't consider it a moral vicotry then could you. But of course you dont know that before hand.

I look at this year with Mac as moral vicotries as it is a new era and a new coach. Times with LE and Morgan wore out there welcome fast as wins became loses and loses become repetitive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Winners don't have to look for moral victories. However, teams typically learn more from a loss than a win. The teams that came close will be better for it. The experience will pay dividends later.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I think when you're first at a job, and either are trying to build, or build on a tradition, I think playing tough games against the UT's of the world are important. Maybe not winning, but taking them to the wire. It sends a message, to fans and opponents alike, that you are coming at them.

Fans can be excited, because you can show that once we get some players we're going to beat them.

The opposition worries, because you are no longer an off week for them, where they don't have to prepare hard for you, they have to take you seriously.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post

The opposition worries, because you are no longer an off week for them, where they don't have to prepare hard for you, they have to take you seriously.
    Thats a very good point. Consider what some of these moral vicotries might do to the opposition. 1st year the scout film and consider you and easy win. But instead you put up a fight and the next year they really have to take you seriously.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I only wish Kansas would have followed the "moral victory code of conduct" and feared us when we played them the 2nd time this year.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I only wish Kansas would have followed the "moral victory code of conduct" and feared us when we played them the 2nd time this year.
    yea, whats wrong with those guys! geesh.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 540
    Given: 377

I agree. There's no column for "close", "shoulda won", "beat them for 75% of the game", etc.
    Sure there is- in the NHL there's SOL column (which stands for Shoot Out Loss - get your minds out of the gutter). A team earns 1 point for not losing in regulation time. Moral victory if I've ever heard of one...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Sure there is- in the NHL there's SOL column (which stands for Shoot Out Loss - get your minds out of the gutter). A team earns 1 point for not losing in regulation time. Moral victory if I've ever heard of one...
    Once the playoffs start and the hunt for the Stanley Cup begins, it comes down to wins and losses. No more Moral victories...