Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Smile Tim Floyd

Watching USC v. NC. Without regard as to how this game turns out, Tim Floyd is the best coach in ISU history. Flat out stud in recruiting and game coaching!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Tim Floyd

Tim Floyd is certainly a good coach...but the best coach in ISU history is Johnny Orr...he brought us back from "the dead" like Jesus brought Lazarus back from the dead...A MIRACLE WORKER!

By the way, Floyd won 23 games his first year (with Orr's players may I note). He won 24 in his second year and 22 in his third year (with some good juco players of questionable character). But in his fourth year when the program was clearly "his program" he won 12 games. After that he bolted for the NBA.

Again, he is a good college coach but I do not understand the "reverence" some ISU fans have for him.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    Tim Floyd is certainly a good coach...but the best coach in ISU history is Johnny Orr...he brought us back from "the dead" like Jesus brought Lazarus back from the dead...A MIRACLE WORKER!
    Kinda like DMac, but he is the villian around here. Johnny was a great guy and certainly a lovable coach, but Floyd was the better game day coach of the two.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

This debate is apples and oranges. Johnny did for Basketball what Mac did for Football...pumped life into a dead program. But Johnny could not do what Floyd and LE did, WIN ON THE ROAD, Win Big 8 tournamnet titles, Win Big XII League and tournament titles.

In terms of putting a good product in Hilton Johnny wins hands down, exciting basketball! But when his teams went on the road, they sucked.

Floyd's style would put most people to sleep, but he won, and won on the road through defense.

LE brought a nicer mixture of up-tempo with Defense.

All 3 were great coaches, in their own way and all did tremendous things for ISU. Hey how about something we can all agree on.... all 3 are better then Alford!

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166

Quote Originally Posted by VII_Fe View Post
    All 3 were great coaches, in their own way and all did tremendous things for ISU. Hey how about something we can all agree on.... all 3 are better then Alford!
    No way man, Steve was my favorite coach of all time!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    No way man, Steve was my favorite coach of all time!
    I really can't argue with that. He is my favorite Iowa Coach as well. My main concern is they may hire someone who can take them to the next level.

Of course the next level in their case would be the level Dr. Tom had them at before Alford dropped them to the next lower level.

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Floyd never won a Big 12 title. Won a big 8 Tourney Championship and that was it. Floyd is a great coach but Eustachy was by far and away the best game day coach of anyone we have had. Orr's teams where the most fun to watch with all the running they did on offense.

Floyd's team losing the 16 point lead last night was not the first time he has done this in the sweet 16. Remember UCLA down in San Antonio. Up 16 in the second half in that game before F ing Cameron Dollars shot

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

Whatever...Who cut the nets?!! Larry might have been an alcoholic and using some of Floyd's guys, and sure he had some bad seasons and some dismall retention rates but give the guy some credit. He cut the freaking nets and has two of the biggest trophies ISU has ever won sitting in the trophy case. Plus if the elite eight game was ANYWHERE but in Michigan we are probably national champs. You guys can put Orr and Floyd up on a lighted pedistal but give me the guy who brings the hardware.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    Whatever...Who cut the nets?!! Larry might have been an alcoholic and using some of Floyd's guys, and sure he had some bad seasons and some dismall retention rates but give the guy some credit. He cut the freaking nets and has two of the biggest trophies ISU has ever won sitting in the trophy case. Plus if the elite eight game was ANYWHERE but in Michigan we are probably national champs. You guys can put Orr and Floyd up on a lighted pedistal but give me the guy who brings the hardware.
    Larry was the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Orr Made ISU BBall what it is today....but Floyd is hands down the best coach we've had.....but McDermott could take that title.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 3

Floyd was a heck of a coach but what he did last night was flat out stupid, getting a tech with his team down by 6.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I think people have this perceived notion that b/c Floyd left for the Bulls he is automatically the best coach ISU has ever had. Fact of the matter is that it was Eustachy that was coach of the year. Coached us to an elite 8, won 2 regular season Big 12 titles, a tourney title, and coached 2 all americans. His accomplishments are far superior than Floyds.

This no knock on Floyd who is a tremendous coach. Can recruit and coach D but when it comes to coaching X's and O's LE is the man

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am still mystified by the Tim Floyd hero worship. Yes, he was good coach by Xs and Os standards. But pray for those who had to play for him. His recruiting over and running off players by the boatloads still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. His one recruiting class of 11 players, only a couple of who ever panned out, is legondary. If you care to recall, the turnover we have seen the last couple of years with so many players coming and going happened every year under TF. With his coaching skills, if he ever could have recruited and actually kept his players for 4 years he would have been awsome. It will be interesting to see how he works out at USC or whether he does the same things.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
    Orr Made ISU BBall what it is today....but Floyd is hands down the best coach we've had.....but McDermott could take that title.
    My two cents is that without Orr (to get everyone excited about ISU BB), we would probably be in Iowa's shoes right now. Yes TF was a great coach for ISU, but LE did more with his team. Again, without Orr rejuvenating the fan base, we wouldn't have had either one of them.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Can't find the thread from yesterday that was talking about Floyd and OJ Mayo, but here is an interview with Floyd about Mayo. Pretty interesting...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Pcjt7oJqc"]YouTube - OJ Mayo on PTI[/ame]