Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Our Basketball Program...The Truth Hurts

I honestly thought the McD was the one that would turn the program around. Unfortunately, I just don't see how this is now possible.

We need to be brutally honest here, our basketball program is a joke.

For the last nine years, other than a six week period in 2005, our program has been irrelevant to the world of college basketball. Including this season, we will have made the NCAA tournament ONCE in the past nine years! The previous nine years to this, we made the tournament six times. From the start of the modern era of ISU basketball (1984) to 2001 (17 years) we made the tournament 11 times, never missing it more than 2 years in a row. We were expected to be in the tournament every year. Now look at us.

We all know that the true measuring stick of program's success is whether or not they make the tournament. How hard is it to recruit a kid who doesn't even think we have been to the tournament? This year's HS seniors have only seen ISU in the tourney once since they were 9 years old.

Hilton Magic has been dead for a long time. Hilton Magic only existed when the fans knew the team could win...with this knowledge, they knew that if they went nuts, Hilton Magic could push the team over the edge towards monumental upsets. If the fans know that winning is unlikely, Hilton Magic does not exist.

Sorry for being a downer...I just don't see how we fix this without a complete overhaul of the entire program. First a foremost we need someone who is a gamechanger for us, not someone just being "promoted" from a mid-major. Who this would be, I don't know. We need a modern Johnny Orr...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,553
    Given: 741

Re: Our Basketball Program...The Truth Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by 1TRUFAN View Post
    Hilton Magic only existed when the fans knew the team could win...
    I call BS on that one. Fans showed up hoping that our kids could somehow pull out a big one, and sometimes they did. The place was rocking until there was no hope left.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 74

I honestly thought the McD was the one that would turn the program around. Unfortunately, I just don't see how this is now possible.

We need to be brutally honest here, our basketball program is a joke.

For the last nine years, other than a six week period in 2005, our program has been irrelevant to the world of college basketball. Including this season, we will have made the NCAA tournament ONCE in the past nine years! The previous nine years to this, we made the tournament six times. From the start of the modern era of ISU basketball (1984) to 2001 (17 years) we made the tournament 11 times, never missing it more than 2 years in a row. We were expected to be in the tournament every year. Now look at us.

We all know that the true measuring stick of program's success is whether or not they make the tournament. How hard is it to recruit a kid who doesn't even think we have been to the tournament? This year's HS seniors have only seen ISU in the tourney once since they were 9 years old.

Hilton Magic has been dead for a long time. Hilton Magic only existed when the fans knew the team could win...with this knowledge, they knew that if they went nuts, Hilton Magic could push the team over the edge towards monumental upsets. If the fans know that winning is unlikely, Hilton Magic does not exist.

Sorry for being a downer...I just don't see how we fix this without a complete overhaul of the entire program. First a foremost we need someone who is a gamechanger for us, not someone just being "promoted" from a mid-major. Who this would be, I don't know. We need a modern Johnny Orr...
    With the exception of 13 seasons in our history then this program has been a joke. I will say it again. We are not and never were a basketball powerhouse. We had two great seasons. Those two seasons were followed by two seasons that will likely end up worse than this one followed by WM who left this team in trouble. I don't understand why people think this is some sort of prestigeous program. I understand that we want to get it there. I do, but it's not like we were perennial 20 game winners from the beginning of our existence and now we are a .500 team. I'm not saying we shouldn't want better. I just don't understand how some can say our football program is eternally doomed but our Bball program should be amazing.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    With the exception of 13 seasons in our history then this program has been a joke. I will say it again. We are not and never were a basketball powerhouse. We had two great seasons. Those two seasons were followed by two seasons that will likely end up worse than this one followed by WM who left this team in trouble. I don't understand why people think this is some sort of prestigeous program. I understand that we want to get it there. I do, but it's not like we were perennial 20 game winners from the beginning of our existence and now we are a .500 team. I'm not saying we shouldn't want better. I just don't understand how some can say our football program is eternally doomed but our Bball program should be amazing.
    I'm going to say 1 great season. We're the laughing stock of the tournament for being the last 2 seed to lose to a 15 seed....

Walk On
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I call BS on that one. Fans showed up hoping that our kids could somehow pull out a big one, and sometimes they did. The place was rocking until there was no hope left.
    Really? When was the last time the crowd truly impacted a game?

Don't get me wrong, I know we all hope that the team would win and always cheered loudly for them...but deep down can you honestly say that you thought that the crowd was going to push them over the top?

Back in the 80's and 90's, Hilton would physically vibrate and I would leave with a blazing headache...that has not happened in a very long time...

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 11

We may not be a powerhouse, but we had 4 different coaches take us to the NCAA tourney in a period of 15 years. That means you have a successful basketball program.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Really? When was the last time the crowd truly impacted a game?

Don't get me wrong, I know we all hope that the team would win and always cheered loudly for them...but deep down can you honestly say that you thought that the crowd was going to push them over the top?

Back in the 80's and 90's, Hilton would physically vibrate and I would leave with a blazing headache...that has not happened in a very long time...
    Not calling you a liar, but every year that passes, it seems old Hilton got louded and louder...People have some serious misconceptions about the noise level of years past.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 161

From the start of the modern era of ISU basketball (1984) to 2001 (17 years) we made the tournament 11 times, never missing it more than 2 years in a row. We were expected to be in the tournament every year. Now look at us.

First a foremost we need someone who is a gamechanger for us, not someone just being "promoted" from a mid-major. Who this would be, I don't know. We need a modern Johnny Orr...
    Agree with the first part - we used to be known for basketball. Our past level of success deserves so miuch more than this.
    Disagree with the second part. Nothing wrong with promoting a mid-major coach. Bo Ryan worked out. So did Bill Self. So did Matt Painter. So did Bob Huggins.
    We just didn't hire the right one...

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would basically agree with you...all that I want is to be respectable, make the tournament 50% of the time, win the conference tournament once a decade, and maybe win the conference regular season / final four run once a generation. I don't think that is too much to ask??

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    We may not be a powerhouse, but we had 4 different coaches take us to the NCAA tourney in a period of 15 years. That means you have a successful basketball program.

How far did they get? One team in the Elite 8. Sure that team could have been a Champ, actually i think it would have been. 4 out of 15? Thats about 1 out of every four years. Mac is in his fourth. He was saddled at the beginning of his career. All I am saying is Mac has not driven this program into the ground. It was there whe WM was here, it was there when LE left.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would basically agree with you...all that I want is to be respectable, make the tournament 50% of the time, win the conference tournament once a decade, and maybe win the conference regular season / final four run once a generation. I don't think that is too much to ask??
    I'm Ron Bergundy?

No, it's not too much to ask. I agree with that and I want to see it better than that. I just think some people think we are entitled to that and we are not.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    No doubt.
    I remember going as a kid when we sucked total *** and it was rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Not calling you a liar, but every year that passes, it seems old Hilton got louded and louder...People have some serious misconceptions about the noise level of years past.
    I am not that old (mid 30's), and my memory is pretty good, but it is not nearly as loud as it used to be...

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    No doubt.
    I remember going as a kid when we sucked total *** and it was rocking.
    When was this?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,553
    Given: 741

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    True.....and the girls get hotter.

However, when ISU beat Kansas and Danny Manning at Hilton in '87-'88, I was standing right next to my friend, yelling something at the top of my lungs, and he couldn't hear a word. That's a fact.