Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Recipe for Success: ISU, Boise State

Trivial question that has been in my head. How does a program like Boise State come to national prominence? I dont know all that much about their program in the past. I wikipedia that stuff and found that they have in fact been successful on a conference level for some time, however at a lower tier conference. It hasnt been until recently that they have become top 10 ranked ect. My question is how? Not just Boise State but any of the non major football programs in the country ie Cincinnati ect.

I know that good coaches/recruiters get good players right? Good players coached by good coaches play well and win. Winning leads to more winning and better players and so on and so on.

So to start, is it the coach that brings the staff that bring the players? If so does that mean if Mac Brown (or whoever) came to ISU next year that we would be in national championship talks in the next 10 years? Just curious how someone like Boise State in Idaho is that much different than ISU in Iowa? How do you turn that corner. Does it take a Cardinal and Gold field? I kid.

This all started watching "THE U" on ESPN and how they went from almost canceling the program to National Champs in a few years time. Hope we have a good start w/ CPR!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

Re: Recipe for Success: ISU, Boise State

The difference? Conference.

Look at what they have to out shoot in their conference vs what we have to compete with in ours.

The simple formula is win football games. In their case, win a lot of them. Get your name out there. Get a huge bowl game, and make a statement (see: Fiesta Bowl). Then you have your recruits taken care of, and your conference can't compete with you. No one had power in their conference, they took it. Oklahoma and Texas have the power in ours, we have a much harder battle uphill to dethrone them, which will never happen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 39

3 words: Win. Big. Games. You could even just say.... win games. You start winning games good athletes will come.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I am no expert, but I thought somebody said in terms of admissions, Boise State is a glorified Community College. Maybe I am wrong?

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

2 words- Dan Hawkins

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    I am no expert, but I thought somebody said in terms of admissions, Boise State is a glorified Community College. Maybe I am wrong?
    This is what I have heard too. Alot of high-risk JuCo kids come through BSU that would not have gotten into to most other programs.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

I think it does help to be in a lower tier conference:

Step 1: Bring in an offense that is innovative

Step 2: Find some diamonds in the rough and a few blue chip caliber players

Step 3: Win

Step 4: Start getting much better recruits than anyone else in the conference

Step 5: Dominate

Hard to get past step 3 in a BCS conference, especially with the strength of the Big 12. Not saying it can't be done, but at best, step 4 is "get as good of recruits as the best teams in the conference" and step 5 is "compete at the top of the conference".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

True Statement, but I wouldn't say ISU is a whole lot better there.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

I think that consistancy helps a ton for the smaller schools. This goes for football and basketball. They pour into guys for 4 solid years, and the the most production from upper classmen.
    As soon as you start relying on Freshmen and Sophmores to be the leaders of your team, you are in a lot of trouble. Sure there are a lot of very talented underclassmen out there, but they need to be surrounded by many quality upper classmen in order to thrive.
    When you look at coaching changes at smaller schools, the almost always promote one of their coordinators to the head coaching position. This allows for continuity in the coaching staff and players when a head coach leaves. There isn't a "new system" to learn. Almost every "mid-major" powerhouse has a coach who was developed within the ranks at that very school, and is building on what his predecessors established.

One of the major problems with BCS schools that are trying to get ahead is that they clean house every few years when they don't see the results they are looking for. With this wholesale change, they often lose players, and just as importantly, recruits.

end rant....

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 520
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I lived in Boise for two years and travel there quite often for work. Boise is a great town for a college and I think an easy sell for recruits. It has an incredible downtown area very close to campus with a great nightlife. There are beautiful women everywhere! The climate down in the Treasure Valley is really quite moderate. You’re 45 minutes away from a ski resort in the winter and white water rafting in the summer. The people are some of the friendliest on Earth and they absolutely love football! Boise State University has boomed in enrollment and now has close to 20,000 students. Chris Peterson has done a great job recruiting California kids that traditionally would only consider PAC 10 schools. Boise gets a bad rap from Cyclone fans but Wow! – Great City!

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,911
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Trivial question that has been in my head. How does a program like Boise State come to national prominence? I dont know all that much about their program in the past. I wikipedia that stuff and found that they have in fact been successful on a conference level for some time, however at a lower tier conference. It hasnt been until recently that they have become top 10 ranked ect. My question is how? Not just Boise State but any of the non major football programs in the country ie Cincinnati ect.

I know that good coaches/recruiters get good players right? Good players coached by good coaches play well and win. Winning leads to more winning and better players and so on and so on.

So to start, is it the coach that brings the staff that bring the players? If so does that mean if Mac Brown (or whoever) came to ISU next year that we would be in national championship talks in the next 10 years? Just curious how someone like Boise State in Idaho is that much different than ISU in Iowa? How do you turn that corner. Does it take a Cardinal and Gold field? I kid.

This all started watching "THE U" on ESPN and how they went from almost canceling the program to National Champs in a few years time. Hope we have a good start w/ CPR!
    Steps:
    1) Invent bowl game so that if the BCS schools don't want to include you, you will include yourself to get noticed and knock off some middling BCS schools.
    2) recruit athletes bigger schools won't touch do to grades, social issues, etc.
    3) play in a conference that is easy to go undefeated.
    4) get a good coach who has a big playbook.
    5) go undefeated in conference and make some noise about the BCS system.
    6) add a big name team to your schedule, beat them, cruise through your conference undefeated and actually win a BCS game that they now put you in because of said "noise" you made in step 5.
    7) Win BCS game and look awesome and exciting doing it.
    8) Upgrade recruits and start back at number 3 and repeat.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

In short, we must be able to "coach up". Hayden Fry and Tom Osborne (I assume he learned from Devaney) proved you could build a winner by doing this.

Remember that Schnellenberger (sp???) knew his problem wasn't talent; Maimi/south FL was teaming with it. His problem was getting it to Coral Gables. Schnellenberger also had instant street cred coming from the Dolphins.

CPR would do a lot better to emulate Fry/Ferentz/Osborne than Schnellenberger, which includes;

Coaching up lower tier recruits, we've got a guy who is great at that in Wally.
    Building a strong walk on program.
    Having a top notch strength program, NU was a pioneer in this and Ferentz has an outstanding one.

We can only succeed by building a strong foundation...

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

i thought iowa state automatically accepted anyone from iowa that ranks the top 50%?

pretty sure the acceptance isn't the cause. As a kid when i never watched college football i heard about boise state, their name was up there for a while. I didn't even know iowa state had a football team until 6 months ago

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Old saying in coaching "you can't make sugar out of s***". Its all about recruiting. Boise State-California, get kids that slip by Pac 12. Also TCU-Texas, get kids that slip by Texas & OU & the rest of the Big 12.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    True Statement, but I wouldn't say ISU is a whole lot better there.

Then you would be wrong. Freshman class profile: average high school class rank is approx 75%, average ACT is approx 25, average high school GPA is approx 3.50.