Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Still thinking of something....
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

Help with Selling a Car

I'm selling my old explorer. Not sure what happened to the title, but I can't find it. I own the car, so that isn't an issue. Car is only selling for $500, as I just want to get rid of it.

What is my next step? Go to the Courthouse and get a new title? How much will that cost me? Then I just sign it over to him and get the cash and I'm done? Do I need to have them sign anything (Contract wise) that releases me from any obligation to the car?

Thanks guys!

41-53 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 17

Re: Help with Selling a Car

You have to go get a new one before you sell it. Just sign it over to the new owner. Get cash if you can, never know about people who are buying a $500 car.

Still thinking of something....
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    You have to go get a new one before you sell it. Just sign it over to the new owner. Get cash if you can, never know about people who are buying a $500 car.
    I can just go to the Courthouse (or mall in Cedar Rapids) to get one right? They do it on the spot?

Plan on cash. Haven't touched the car since June. $500 cash right now is looking nice and having a car off my hands.

41-53 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I can just go to the Courthouse (or mall in Cedar Rapids) to get one right? They do it on the spot?

Plan on cash. Haven't touched the car since June. $500 cash right now is looking nice and having a car off my hands.
    I am not sure, I think you have to go to the treasurer office in the court house. My brother sold a car last summer and couldnt find the title but was able to get one the next day.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'm selling my old explorer. Not sure what happened to the title, but I can't find it. I own the car, so that isn't an issue. Car is only selling for $500, as I just want to get rid of it.

What is my next step? Go to the Courthouse and get a new title? How much will that cost me? Then I just sign it over to him and get the cash and I'm done? Do I need to have them sign anything (Contract wise) that releases me from any obligation to the car?

Thanks guys!

Just park it on a major street. Someone will slide into it and total it at $500.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    I am not sure, I think you have to go to the treasurer office in the court house. My brother sold a car last summer and couldnt find the title but was able to get one the next day.
    Just get a new title for $10 or so. It should be on file.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Do not forget to sign the back of the title and date it, AFTER you get the cash in your hand, before you hand the title over to him(her). You would also need to remove the license plates prior to them leaving with the unit. You can get a refund on the remaining lic. fee you paid at the courthouse at your request--you may have to turn the plates in.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

New title is cheap, I had to do it when I sold my last car. Also, don't waste money advertising it, put it on Craigslist. Big fan of that site, I have sold everything from a used car, furniture, electronics, even some livestock from my parent's farm on that. My dad is amazed by how many calls and emails just 1 free craigslist posting can generate when we've advertised livestock for sale on it.

Go Cubs Go!

st8

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    New title is cheap, I had to do it when I sold my last car. Also, don't waste money advertising it, put it on Craigslist. Big fan of that site, I have sold everything from a used car, furniture, electronics, even some livestock from my parent's farm on that. My dad is amazed by how many calls and emails just 1 free craigslist posting can generate when we've advertised livestock for sale on it.
    This.

I sold a car on there last year in about two days, and this was a crappy old camaro that i thought no one would have any interest in. Turns out the town of boone is just down the road from ames and every dirty rednecky wierdo from there came out of the woodwork to come see my car! (being from there I'm sure you're well aware of some of these questionable characters that reside in boone) The only thing I would recommend is writing up a bill of sale on your own that just states the obvious "you are buying this car as is, I have disclosed any and all known mechanical issues with said vehicle, etc." just to cover yourself. when your selling a car for $500, its most likely gonna be to some dude with a mullet or rat tail, a cleft pallet or what have you and you don't want that guy coming back and trying to fight you because you allegedly "screwed him". I had a buddy sell a dirtbike a while back (to another booner) and it broke down not long after the sale. the dude basically tried to stalk him to get a few hundred bucks back so it's good to cover all of your bases when dealing with degenerates.

Last edited by st8; 01-08-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by st8 View Post
    The only thing I would recommend is writing up a bill of sale on your own that just states the obvious "you are buying this car as is, I have disclosed any and all known mechanical issues with said vehicle, etc." just to cover yourself.
    Agree 100%. No experience with this site or form, but here is an example of what you should be looking to do:

Free Used Car Bill of Sale | Used Car for Sale By Owner: AutoCrisis.com

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

LOL, funny because it was someone from Boone who bought my car off Craigslist too! Although mine sold for $4000 and was a Grand Am with about 106,000 miles and still in great shape. Was some HS senior and her older brother and for that price luckily didn't bring me any trashy folks inquiring. Right before they looked at it some foreign guy came over and we took it for a test drive and he curb checked it 3 times I bet! The best quote he had were going uphill onto the interstate "seems kind of slow getting up to speed." It was a 3.4L V6 2-door car, I wanted to tell the guy "well you have to give it a little gas if you want it to go faster!" You get some weirdos but if it results in a successful sale who cares?

Last edited by C.John; 01-08-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Go Cubs Go!

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Have prove of registeration, go to the title issuance in your county. Report a lost title, they will verify the registration with DL and poof ....you get a new title

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,247
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 18

There is a seven day waiting period for a duplicate title. They charge $25, and application MUST be made in the original county of issuance. If you live in CR but lived in Ames when you bought the car (would have been titled in story) you would have to apply in Story county. An easy way to check the county of issuance is to call the courthouse and have your plate number ready.

The only exception to the seven day period is if you have a title in hand and there is an error, ie signed in the wrong place, etc.

Also be sure to do a bill of sale and make sure you have the identity of the buyer. The reason is if they decide to never transfer the title and commit a crime with the car, or hit and kill somebody, you have proof that you no longer own it. Makes things much smoother if the cops show up.

Lots of good advice here. Craigslist is the only way to go. But you might be surprised what that explorer is worth. If it runs decent, and the 4wd works, it's easily $1000.

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I agree with the posts about craigslist, free and easy to use. Dont forget about the other sites however, autotrader and cars.com. Craigslist is free for a reason, everybody uses it and before you know it your on page 46 after an hour of it being on the site. I have friends in the car business and they count on the pay sites to run their dealerships. 40 bucks and it runs till it sells, sorted by price not post date. check it out if no luck on CL.