Thread: Crossroads

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Crossroads

Ok, my first ever post, so be “soft” in your responses. This is only my view and my background is no more than playing in high school and coaching young teenagers.

There were a lot of negatives from the Duke game. No consistent hard block outs on the boards, bigs getting blocks BECAUSE they were behind their player (soft defense), guards trailing the player they were defending on baseline screens (Staiger, Colvin), very soft picks on offense (everyone) and obvious times when players were not running the offensive sets; especially Dendy.

While we made many mistakes, I actually saw many positives from the game. For the first time, we had players fighting to get over screens, at times our bigs showed hard on ball screens, the other big hedged to cover the roll and we quickly rotated back (ok, maybe for only 10 minutes as we made Scheyer look like the greatest guard in the nation, but that is better than other games), Hamilton fought hard under the boards, there was movement in the offense (not all of the time), Garret to me even penetrated well. There also was some fire and leadership. Brackins tried to pull the team together on the court, Garret actually chewed on Dendy for blowing his assignment on the offensive set (again which by the way afterwords it looked like Dendy really worked hard). Not for 40 minutes, but I saw desire from this team.

So, I consider this next 2 weeks the crossroads for our team. If the rift on the team is as bad as described in other posts, then it is really time for these players to step up or not play. Dendy needs to be “in the game”, running the sets correctly and aggressively working on defense, Staiger needs to at least compete on defense, Colvin needs to defend hard when he is not on the ball. We have to fight on the ball screens and set hard picks on offense. For periods of the game, we showed what can be; it is now either dedication to doing it all the time as a team or collapsing and finishing in the bottom 3 of the conference.

I really want this team to come together and believe we could be NCAA bid good. The pieces are there, but the conviction is not. This is ultimately the responsibility of the coach especially in that he recruited these players and I believe that during the recruiting process you will learn what the individual’s mind set is. So, as much as I like Coach McDermott, he is at a crossroads also. We may have stretched on the personal psyche to get talent, but that is a decision the coach must live with. The players make the team, but the coach recruits the players. So, coach and team I am pulling for a second half performance that brings excitement back to ISU mens basketball. If not, Mr. Pollard it is time to move on.

Last edited by Craig41; 01-07-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Crossroads

I think that the team showed some improvement on the defensive side of the ball, at least for the first half we did a very good job of defending the very good screens set by duke

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Craig41 View Post
    Ok, my first ever post, so be “soft” in your responses. This is only my view and my background is no more than playing in high school and coaching young teenagers.

There were a lot of negatives from the Duke game. No consistent hard block outs on the boards, bigs getting blocks BECAUSE they were behind their player (soft defense), guards trailing the player they were defending on baseline screens (Staiger, Colvin), very soft picks on offense (everyone) and obvious times when players were not running the offensive sets; especially Dendy.

While we made many mistakes, I actually saw many positives from the game. For the first time, we had players fighting to get over screens, at times our bigs showed hard on ball screens, the other big hedged to cover the roll and we quickly rotated back (ok, maybe for only 10 minutes as we made Scheyer look like the greatest guard in the nation, but that is better than other games), Hamilton fought hard under the boards, there was movement in the offense (not all of the time), Garret to me even penetrated well. There also was some fire and leadership. Brackins tried to pull the team together on the court, Garret actually chewed on Dendy for blowing his assignment on the offensive set (again which by the way afterwords it looked like Dendy really worked hard). Not for 40 minutes, but I saw desire from this team.

So, I consider this next 2 weeks the crossroads for our team. If the rift on the team is as bad as described in other posts, then it is really time for these players to step up or not play. Dendy needs to be “in the game”, running the sets correctly and aggressively working on defense, Staiger needs to at least compete on defense, Colvin needs to defend hard when he is not on the ball. We have to fight on the ball screens and set hard picks on offense. For periods of the game, we showed what can be; it is now either dedication to doing it all the time as a team or collapsing and finishing in the bottom 3 of the conference.

I really want this team to come together and believe we could be NCAA bid good. The pieces are there, but the conviction is not. This is ultimately the responsibility of the coach especially in that he recruited these players and I believe that during the recruiting process you will learn what the individual’s mind set is. So, as much as I like Coach McDermott, he is at a crossroads also. We may have stretched on the personal psyche to get talent, but that is a decision the coach must live with. The players make the team, but the coach recruits the players. So, coach and team I am pulling for a second half performance that brings excitement back to ISU mens basketball. If not, Mr. Pollard it is time to move on.
    Nice well thought out post and actually worth reading compared to some on here!

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    Nice well thought out post and actually worth reading compared to some on here!

Z
    Who are you pointing to when posting this? It's not like I'm paranoid or anything.

But I agree. It was a good post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    Who are you pointing to when posting this? It's not like I'm paranoid or anything.

But I agree. It was a good post.
    I am sorry, I should of been more direct, I meant
    :)
    Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 114

I dont think the one the court play is the issue with this team anymore. This team can play with anyone if they want to, but they just dont seem to want to.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,780
    Given: 1,500

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I am sorry, I should of been more direct, I meant
    :)
    Z

That's funny, even if it's at me.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i think all we can do is pray, and we pray, and we pray, and we pray
    everyday, everyday, everyday, everyday

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Lightbulb Re: Crossroads

Good post. Agree on all of those things.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well thought out, clear, and concise posts have no place on this board.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

We need that shrink from The Natural....

" Losing is a disease....every bit as contagious as the bubonic plague......"

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    i think all we can do is pray, and we pray, and we pray, and we pray
    everyday, everyday, everyday, everyday
    ...And I'm gonna miss everybody, and I'm gonna miss everybody when I'm gone....and I'm gonna miss everybody, and I'm gonna miss everybody...
    And I'm gonna miss everybody...